Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exciting New Brighton Bands....

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
If anyone is bored and fancies looking at some new Brighton bands tomorrow there is a cool showcase night at The Hope in Queens Road. I know its not really football but there is a lot of us going to be kicking our heels tomorrow and anyway, you get sorts on here these days. :)

The bands are
Shoot the Dead (they have organised the night)
Clockworks
Johnson and the Believers
100 Robots.

Here is a very short clip/taster of Shoot the Dead - they are immense!! :)

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Oh and its only £4 and it all goes to the bands!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
£4 to watch a bunch of teenagers with asymetric haircuts bumblefuck around on stage "performing" their under-rehearsed, derivitive claptrap? £4? No ta, I'll wait until they've learnt their craft, if they're any good I'll pay full price later on down the road and get a decent show. I watched the clip and it reminded me of that glut of riot grrrl style bands that tagged onto the end of Grunge in the early nineties.

Grateful for the offer though chap/chapette

boik

So by that measure, are you only going to watch the Albion when they've "learnt their craft" and are top of the premiership? ;-)

It's so much more rewarding to watch bands on the way up in a small pub where you can chat to them at the bar, rather than 500 metres away on a giant screen, or miming on Saturday night TV.

In my opinion, obviously!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I agree to a point but I've been to these showcase nights before and very rarely are they any good and if what is posted on Youtube is anything to go by thie will be no exception. If you pick the right bands say Flaming Lips or Giant Sand you can watch them in smaller venues and talk to them at the bar afterwards, best of both worlds! In my opinion , obviously.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
£4 to watch a bunch of teenagers with asymetric haircuts bumblefuck around on stage "performing" their under-rehearsed, derivitive claptrap? £4? No ta, I'll wait until they've learnt their craft, if they're any good I'll pay full price later on down the road and get a decent show. I watched the clip and it reminded me of that glut of riot grrrl style bands that tagged onto the end of Grunge in the early nineties.

Grateful for the offer though chap/chapette

These events can often surprise. I saw The Guillemots play a lively pretty polished set at the Borderline when they had just started out. There were only 50 people and it was a thoroughly good gig. On the other hand we saw Hot Chip supporting Athlete at Hammersmith and they were a bit of a joke to be honest with their Casio keyboards and floppy hair but they have now become an established band, so you never can tell.

Good post by 16 bit because bands need support to improve. The Lectern do this sort of thing too. The Lectern | The Lectern, 5 Pelham Terrace, Lewes Road, Brighton. BN2 4AF Telephone: 01273 685 258

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gentleman Starkey at the Haunt tonight also with a few others

Currently recording their album at the Unkle studio...

[yt]yNIeO9vLVU8[/yt]

Also 4 quid in

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Gentleman Starkey at the Haunt tonight also with a few others

Currently recording their album at the Unkle studio...

[yt]yNIeO9vLVU8[/yt]

Also 4 quid in

Now that's some seriously good music

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I agree to a point but I've been to these showcase nights before and very rarely are they any good and if what is posted on Youtube is anything to go by thie will be no exception. If you pick the right bands say Flaming Lips or Giant Sand you can watch them in smaller venues and talk to them at the bar afterwards, best of both worlds! In my opinion , obviously.

If you don't like the clip then that is up to you. All your other assumptions are wrong though (age, standard, style) but your post indicates that you rather enjoy slagging things off and I wonder how many good underground gigs you have ever been to and whether you would know one if it ran over your foot.

For the record, ! am 45 and I know my Crass from my Killing Joke, my Arcade Fire from my Joy Division and my Stranglers from my (no The Stranglers deserve to be on their own!!)

I have been lucky enough to see 3 of the 4 bands on show tonight before and the styles range from a cool ska/indieindie band called Johnson and the Believers through to Shoot the Dead who are far closer to a female version of Killing Joke (Firedances era) with a bit of Prodigy thrown in for good measure. The latter are on their second single and have already been heaped with praise from the BBC Radio 1 Introducing Panel, supported Primal Scream on their end of tour show in London and have a heap of festival bookings in 2012 and a uk tour in March to support the release of their second single.

But hey - don't let that get in the way of a good - "hey look at me everyone, i can criticise things I know nothing about on a forum board - aren't I cool and clever" post!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you don't like the clip then that is up to you. All your other assumptions are wrong though (age, standard, style) but your post indicates that you rather enjoy slagging things off and I wonder how many good underground gigs you have ever been to and whether you would know one if it ran over your foot.

For the record, ! am 45 and I know my Crass from my Killing Joke, my Arcade Fire from my Joy Division and my Stranglers from my (no The Stranglers deserve to be on their own!!)

I have been lucky enough to see 3 of the 4 bands on show tonight before and the styles range from a cool ska/indieindie band called Johnson and the Believers through to Shoot the Dead who are far closer to a female version of Killing Joke (Firedances era) with a bit of Prodigy thrown in for good measure. The latter are on their second single and have already been heaped with praise from the BBC Radio 1 Introducing Panel, supported Primal Scream on their end of tour show in London and have a heap of festival bookings in 2012 and a uk tour in March to support the release of their second single.

But hey - don't let that get in the way of a good - "hey look at me everyone, i can criticise things I know nothing about on a forum board - aren't I cool and clever" post!

You're probably right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here