Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exams grades

In my day, very early 60's, it was very straight forward. 45% or more got you a GCE. Anything less got you nothing except possibly a bollocking for your parents.

This was at O level, I never went on to A levels as I left school at 16 and went to Westminster Hotel College. One of my better decisions, if I'd stayed and taken A levels I'd still have gone on to WHC. Leaving after O levels put me two years ahead of most others who took A levels before going to college.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought maybe in your day it would have been 1-9 with 1-6 being passes...'in my day' it was A-E with A-C being passes...these were only introduced in 1975...you sure you weren't on the former?

Sorry I wasnt very clear the assessment was 1-9 but I converted that to what I thought was modern day terminology of A - B . I should stick with the old format.

It was definitely 1-8. I know, because I fainted during my biology O level and didn't complete it. I got grade 8, which was the lowest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep....i just remember going to a few interviews with my 'O's and being told sorry son those don't count....but i had 5 legit ones which in those days was ok

Yes, 5 O levels were the pathway to a lot of careers. Civil Service, State Registered Nurse, Officer in the forces, etc. English and Maths had to be 2 of the 5.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Correct.....but i remember employers not seeing D and E as passes

C has always been considered a pass, and 4 C grades and above have been needed for going on to study A Level. There is also a mandatory resit (either already introduced or about to be introduced) for English and Maths if you fail to get a C/4 grade.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The letter grades only came in at 1975 ..not sure how BG got them

old-man-science-class.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep....i just remember going to a few interviews with my 'O's and being told sorry son those don't count
****ing ****s! Sorry you had to deal with that shit without social media to console you babe. Who the **** do they think they are, telling you your qualifications don't count?

....but i had 5 legit ones which in those days was ok
Phew.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In my day, very early 60's, it was very straight forward. 45% or more got you a GCE. Anything less got you nothing except possibly a bollocking for your parents.
You took a bollocking home to give to your parents?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe I got a mark for getting my name right!! It was all a blur that day. :lol:
Maybe you didn't faint until a few minutes in :)

Did you do O levels, post '65?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
A*-C was considered a pass.

D-G was considered a not very good pass

U was complete failure.

A level

E is the pass grade, but C and above is considered good.

I don't like the new numbered system, there was nothing wrong with it before.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just googled it and it said 1-9...not necessarily the most reliable source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Ordinary_Level_(United_Kingdom)

That's quite an interesting read, because the example given was the JMB (Joint Matriculation Board).

The O-Level syllabi, examinations and awards were made by 9 independent boards: Associated Examining Board, Durham University Examinations Board (dissolved 1964), Joint Matriculation Board, Oxford and Cambridge, Oxford, Southern, Cambridge, London, and Welsh Joint Education Committee.

Before 1975, each exam board had its own grading system (some used letters, others numbers), with grades only given to schools and not recorded on students' certificates

The latter part is true, because it only lists the subjects on my O level certificate, not the grade.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All this whinging "its too hard" "its so unfair we have one exam now" well tough, that's how most of today's workforce had to do it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here