Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evolution debate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hate it when people start a discourse with the words "as a Christian", because it often means they are going to come out with a stream of self-righteous poppycock.

But..... as a Christian, and in response to your two points, I would say that:
1. I am not sure what will happen to me after my death. The promise of eternal life is certainly not the only, or even the main reason, or perhaps any part of the reason why I am a believer. I am much more interested in the moral, ethical and human(e) side of it, about how you should live your life, about how to treat people etc etc.
2. I don't believe in pre-destination, or that God has got it all mapped out in advance. Like many (most?) others, I believe in free will.

And for what it is worth, going back to the original question, I am not a scientist but I totally accept the arguments for evolution.

PS -and I am not trying to pick a fight.

I to am not seeking a fight but would just comment with regard to your point one that you don't have to be religious to moral, ethical and humane. I don't believe in life after death in any form and certainly not that there is a supreme power making decisions but despite not having some wonderous goal to work for at the end, I live my life (or try to) with those three principles that you quote. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us doing that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If people take the time to study philosophy, a lot of the time they end up theists. It was the philosophical interpretations of physics in particular which made me believe.

despite all those philosophers who end up atheists. your keep trying to physics to this is bunk, using either poor science or misunderstanding to make the link. Science has fundementally shifted theology away from hard creationism until they are left in a position bordering in agnosticism for some.

I would say it's logical to beleive just incase,

not really. Pascals wager assumes retibution which is actually a contradiction with the conventional ideal of an omnipotent, omniscient and benvolent god. as shown in the maths above, you are on long odds you got it right and if God *is* benevolent, he wouldnt care if you believe or not. this line of reasoning leads to the conclusion agnosticism is best position.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
God made man in his own image, so if we are dumb then God is dumb and maybe a little ugly on the side.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I to am not seeking a fight but would just comment with regard to your point one that you don't have to be religious to moral, ethical and humane. I don't believe in life after death in any form and certainly not that there is a supreme power making decisions but despite not having some wonderous goal to work for at the end, I live my life (or try to) with those three principles that you quote. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us doing that.

I was certainly not trying to imply that you have to be a Christian in order to be moral, ethical and humane. Apologies if it was taken that way - I should have been clearer. Some of the "best" people I know are atheists and, as a preacher, I have often stood in front of a congregation to say so.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
David, you always sound far too decent a bloke to be a Christian.

Go on... Come on over to the dark side.

I'm too afraid of the eternal hell and damnation..... oh what a give away.

Not all Christians are nutcases. In fact, most aren't. Empty vessels make the most noise.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have had neither the time nor energy to read all through this thread but OUR LORD has and he's going to be might fcked off with a lot of you atheist shithouses

You raise an interesting point though.

What if us atheists are wrong and at the time of our death we come face to face with God.

Do you crawl and beg for forgiveness?

Personally after the initial "feck me i didnt see that coming" moment i would launch my right foot straight into his Knackers and tell him what a f#ckwit he is. If his throne is in handy reach i might luzz that at his head for good measure.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What if us atheists are wrong and at the time of our death we come face to face with God.

Personally after the initial "feck me i didnt see that coming" moment i would launch my right foot straight into his Knackers and tell him what a f#ckwit he is. If his throne is in handy reach i might luzz that at his head for good measure.

he (or she) would probably still forgive you, if he (or she) thought you were a decent bloke.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

God or yourself in a fight ? I know who my money would be on

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I have had neither the time nor energy to read all through this thread but OUR LORD has and he's going to be might fcked off with a lot of you atheist shithouses

So they don’t get in but all those naughty priests are OK because, according to Catholic doctrine, if they repent on their death beds everything is hunky dory. This religion malarkey is a rum old business. :smile:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I love this thread, why do people get so het up about God if he doesn't exist, why bother raising your blood pressure over nothing? :)

It's Friday afternoon and we're bored

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
In your opinion. Just like I said just because you have that certain belief it doesn't mean people are going to change theirs on the weakness or strength of your statement.

Agreed, but not many atheists knock on my door to get me to convert to being a non-believer, so I use places like this to even things up. I believe, with all I am and every ounce of my mind and body, without question and with absolute faith, that there is no deity, no god, no saviour, no heaven or hell, and that to believe otherwise makes you foolish, however your religion causes you to live. That's it. Live by your own standards and ethics; religion continues to screw over half the planet over, and make life a dangerous thing. Be nice, do your own thing, support your own team and, for all you superstar believers out there, stop praying on the field - it offends me.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
for all you superstar believers out there, stop praying on the field - it offends me.
That always amuses me in American football - if there was a god I really think he would have more important things on his plate than worrying about the outcome of the Super Bowl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here