Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evolution and Big Bang are lies from Hell

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Adam and eve had sons Cain and able.....where did they get their wives from?

Did you know that all the great religions from all parts of the earth have a great flood story where all are killed apart from a few who a god saves......

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
I think you've completely misinterpreted the posts there. Spinoza was considered an atheist through his work. His 'God' was not a monotheist entity that could be worshipped, his was a philosophical concept. Einstein's belief in 'Spinoza's God' is in effect to reveal that he has no belief in God as a creator or in any religious sense.

I think Spinoza was considered a pantheist not an atheist. His and Einsteins 'God' was not a personal God, a moral God or any religious God, but nonetheless they both had a concept of 'God' albeit very different to what most people thinkk when you say 'God'

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You could (and we have) argue this point for eternity. Why anyone bothers I do not know. Religious types rarely ever see sense and non-religious types will never agree to this ninsense. You're wasting your time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
i've very recently "discovered god", after something fairly supernatural (only way I can describe it) happened to me

do I believe every word in the bible? don't think so
do I use the teachings of big JC to help lead what I consider to be a 'good life'? yes
do I judge others who don't have my beliefs? not at all....most of my friends don't share my beliefs and I don't consider myself better in any way
have I made a load of really good friends that I can trust and talk about anything with? definitely
has it changed my life for the better? 100% yes

If you don't mind me asking TL, what about it lead you to Christianity rather than say Islam or Judaism? Was it a specifically Christian experience(whatever that may be) or a general one that could have led you elsewhere if you had been brought up in a non christian country?

It's a genuine question and one that fascinates me never having had such an experience.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Spinoza was considered a pantheist not an atheist. His and Einsteins 'God' was not a personal God, a moral God or any religious God, but nonetheless they both had a concept of 'God' albeit very different to what most people thinkk when you say 'God'

Obviously debate has raged on through the centuries as to whether Spinoza was a pantheist, panentheist, atheist or in some cases even a Spinozist. All that said, he didn't believe in a god in any religious sense, hence Einsteins reference to him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This is the most I've ever commented on a religious thread on here in YEARS, but I just wanted to say your views are extremely similar to mine - and I'm a smells 'n' bells high church Anglican!

Us decent, honest, thoughtful, questioning, inclusive, and non-judgemental Christians should stick together!!!

(or at least i try to be all of those things.)

Oct 25, 2003
If you don't mind me asking TL, what about it lead you to Christianity rather than say Islam or Judaism? Was it a specifically Christian experience(whatever that may be) or a general one that could have led you elsewhere if you had been brought up in a non christian country?

It's a genuine question and one that fascinates me never having had such an experience.

good question.......my experiences could certainly be with a muslim/jewish/whatever god (or no god at all)

but basically my step-mother suggested that i pop along to st peters (as it's near my house) who have a service aimed at younger folks on a sunday evening....the prospect of free food and coffee was something that drew me in, as to be honest i probably wasn't in any way christian before then

BUT (now you can choose to believe this or not) the SECOND i walked in those doors it felt like i'd been walking around in the dark and suddenly someone had turned on a light. It was an instant sense of 'belonging' there that to be honest I didn't expect at all. it felt absolutely incredible and nothing like anything i'd felt before.......my life was a bit of a mess before that and since then i'm so much more at peace, so much happier and so much more confident........i'm not saying that any of this is proof of a god, just that my personal experiences have led to me believe that one exists

to answer your question, perhaps had i been brought up in a non-christian country, i could've had similar experiences with a different faith, i'm really not sure, but christianity is certainly working for me

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
BUT (now you can choose to believe this or not) the SECOND i walked in those doors it felt like i'd been walking around in the dark and suddenly someone had turned on a light. It was an instant sense of 'belonging' there that to be honest I didn't expect at all. it felt absolutely incredible and nothing like anything i'd felt before.......my life was a bit of a mess before that and since then i'm so much more at peace, so much happier and so much more confident........i'm not saying that any of this is proof of a god, just that my personal experiences have led to me believe that one exists

to answer your question, perhaps had i been brought up in a non-christian country, i could've had similar experiences with a different faith, i'm really not sure, but christianity is certainly working for me

You experienced empathy, companionship and probably a lot of kindness. These aren't exclusively religious, I feel the same thing up at my Squash club (unless I call a particularly dodgy let). I'm glad you have found a place to feel at peace, but to be honest, you've found a nice group of people you feel happy with. Interpreting that as a connection to some spiritual world is up to you.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
good question.......my experiences could certainly be with a muslim/jewish/whatever god (or no god at all)

but basically my step-mother suggested that i pop along to st peters (as it's near my house) who have a service aimed at younger folks on a sunday evening....the prospect of free food and coffee was something that drew me in, as to be honest i probably wasn't in any way christian before then

Good answer, thanks for that.

Where does the congregation stand on the honeybadger issue? the real deal or over rated?

Oct 25, 2003
You experienced empathy, companionship and probably a lot of kindness. These aren't exclusively religious, I feel the same thing up at my Squash club (unless I call a particularly dodgy let). I'm glad you have found a place to feel at peace, but to be honest, you've found a nice group of people you feel happy with. Interpreting that as a connection to some spiritual world is up to you.

of course it is, and that's what going to church provides me with, i've made a ridiculous amount of good friends already (but i've had experiences outside of church)

to a certain extent it is a social event for me (along with other church based events that happen throughout the week)

for the record i don't push my beliefs on anyone (most non-christians that i know are actually genuinely interested....i answer their questions but don't mention it otherwise) and don't for a second think i'm better than anyone else just because i believe in something....it works for me and that's all that matters really

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Adam and eve had sons Cain and able.....where did they get their wives from?

Did you know that all the great religions from all parts of the earth have a great flood story where all are killed apart from a few who a god saves......

As did the ancients greeks(or were you classing greek mythology as one of the great religions?). One of several differing creation myths from them, I think.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from the fact that it falls in with our insctinctual desires." - Sigmund Freud

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

"It is very difficult to reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into." - Rich Rodriguez

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true." - Nietzsche

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here