[Football] Everton want answers about penalty decision

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps it is because Gordon is a cheat and a diver.

He's an immensely talented lad but has been taught by his coaches and team mates (i.e. Richarlison) to throw himself to the ground. If he has previous in trying to con the ref, then don't be surprised when the ref gives the defender the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61213710

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Everton want answers about penalty decision

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed an overall increase in clubs demanding official 'answers' to onfield decisions.

Whilst the headlines are no doubt written for clicks, there does seem to be certain managers who regularly seek scapegoats.

We get it - they're looking for ways to move focus and circumvent responsibility by shifting the blame off them and their team.

Sometimes you get the decisions, sometimes you don't. And with 50/50 penalty appeals away at big clubs, often the latter.

It doesn't necessarily make it right, but it's always been the case.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They’ll be ramping up the demand for answers if they get relegated, which with Fat Frank running the show is looking likely, and to think some on here wanted him to replace GP not that long ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gordon dives at any contact whatsoever.

First viewing I didn't think it was a pen. It is a contact sport, the opponent is allowed to touch you, it's only a foul if they've deemed to impede you. I thought he threw himself down and that's exactly how it looked. You reap what you sow.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
100% pen shocking decision, I don’t think Liverpool have had a pen awarded against them for a year and half.

46 Premier League games since a penalty was last given against them.

Personally, I think that the number of dives from Anthony Gordon yesterday precluded him from being given a penalty. Cynical tactics, cynical team. No sorrow for them at all.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The referee actually put his whistle to his lips to award the penalty,realised it was the diver and remembered where he was and changed his mind,perhaps Gordon will think twice about cheating in future.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Clutching.At.Straws

Everton are going down for an ice cold dose of reality, so that when the next Breakaway is muted they’ll hopefully see how the rest of us live day to day. Be good for their souls!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The referee actually put his whistle to his lips to award the penalty,realised it was the diver and remembered where he was and changed his mind,perhaps Gordon will think twice about cheating in future.

I wonder if the referees ever say anything along those lines to them. "It might well have been a penalty but I can't be 100% sure based on the fact you've tried to con me three times already today, so I can't give it".

Probably not, or we'd hear players bitching about it, I guess. But they should.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
An afternoon of anti-football from Frank Lampard's Everton. It felt a little bit wrong backing Liverpool yesterday but the pay off if Everton get relegated will be worth it.

Plus, there'll be an away game added to the calendar where you can actually see the pitch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
An afternoon of anti-football from Frank Lampard's Everton. It felt a little bit wrong backing Liverpool yesterday but the pay off if Everton get relegated will be worth it.

Plus, there'll be an away game added to the calendar where you can actually see the pitch.

Going to be super tight. On the face of it people may look at Everton's fixtures and pick out 3 wins, but it's never that easy. If Burnley can find 2 wins from somewhere, fancy that will be enough for them. If Leeds lose tonight, could be squeeky bum time again for them too.

EVERTON
Chelsea H
Leicester A
Watford A
Brentford H
Palace H
Arsenal A

BURNLEY
Watford A
Villa H
Spurs A
Villa A
Newcastle H

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The problem defenders have is that players such as Gordon get in front of them or alongside and then look for contact.

In this instance it's the variation of what Vardy used to do, step outside your running line (e.g. put one foot out more to the side) kick the defender and go over.

Would be much easier if the FA and VAR communicated to the fans every so often what they look for. They could easily send out a video or comms showing that if an attacking player steps infront of a chasing defender and contact results then no foul. In the absence of this it allows players to try it on and fans to get angry at the ref.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Going to be super tight. On the face of it people may look at Everton's fixtures and pick out 3 wins, but it's never that easy. If Burnley can find 2 wins from somewhere, fancy that will be enough for them. If Leeds lose tonight, could be squeeky bum time again for them too.

EVERTON
Chelsea H
Leicester A
Watford A
Brentford H
Palace H
Arsenal A

BURNLEY
Watford A
Villa H
Spurs A
Villa A
Newcastle H

Everton could get 3 points at Watford and 3 home to Brentford. Especially if Watford are down at that point and Brentford are on the beach.

We have a nice run in but could easily draw v Watford and not pick anything else up. We need to play Villa now, rather than when they invariably get out of the slump.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They are doing everything they can to be as dislikable as possible.

Jordan Pickford should have been sent off multiple times for time wasting. Richarlison and Gordon should both have been sent off before half-time due to their continuous diving. Everton have no right to complain about anything other than how shit they are.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They’ll be ramping up the demand for answers if they get relegated, which with Fat Frank running the show is looking likely, and to think some on here wanted him to replace GP not that long ago.

I doubt they'll get much joy given that Bournemouth were ultimately relegated on the basis of Sheffield Utd being denied a clear and obvious goal due to a failure of GLT.

Not that I care much for Plucky Little Bournemouth.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I can see and understand all the arguments as to why the referee didn’t give a penalty on the field.

What I don’t understand is why VAR didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t see what should have been a definite penalty

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

No VAR in the championship, he'll have to grow up and wear big boy pants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports