Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Take the point and move on.

Met some friendly Everton fans on a bus to the airport in the evening. All of us agreed a draw was probably fair but they were very appreciative of our style of play and wished that Everton was run like we are😊. Even though we had had a world record 7 Irish Seagulls on the flight back we were still outnumbered by Evertonians from Dublin - it‘s such a quick flight!

Also had a great chat with a season-ticket holder from RUSG who had never been to Goodison before and wanted to so before the move. He was full of love for Mitoma and Adingra obviously - he was at Anfield for their Europa League game there recently. He’s offered me a ticket for a home game if I fancy a trip to Brussels and hopes to come to the Amex next year.

Good away trip!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just got home, cracking weekend.
Tired.

Drove to a mates near Wrexham and trained from there, few refreshers in Liverpool after the game and a night out In Chester.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Also had a great chat with a season-ticket holder from RUSG who had never been to Goodison before and wanted to so before the move.
Anybody else wanting to do this who misses the chance to go before they move - just go to a public lavatory with some blue film wrapped around your head.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
My first visit to Goodison. I was surprised about the wooden floor to our stand. I thought they were all ripped out after the Bradford fire.

Mont-Colt65

Sep 18, 2023
I've not read this thread, but the only time we FINALLY started causing problems was in the 2nd half, when Mitoma actually started taking them on and going for the byline, instead of just cutting back and laying off a feeble pass (often intercepted). When he commits to beating the fullback he is absolute dynamite and causes chaos. It drove me MENTAL when I know he can have the likes of Ashley Young on toast EVERY TIME, yet kept taking the easy option.

I can only hope/assume that RDZ got in his earhole at half time at told him to get down that outside channel and start producing, because prior to that it was way, way too easy for them.

He has to play the full 90mins+ every match. A winger cannot perform brilliantly full-on for 90 mins, esp. in the rain, without considering a flow of the match, or risking turnovers, o indeed ignoring instructions from the coach. I suspect since he is not allowed to be substituted, he might be thinking of the way he can allocate his energy/stamina to play for 90mins+ for each match, which is wise, imo.

You should wonder why RDZ is so obsessed with overplaying him. It's almost like RDZ does not care if he is knackered or not, nor does he care if his performance drops due to the amount of time he has to be on the pitch, but cares only that Mitoma is on the pitch for the entire match. RDZ is so far determined to not deploy others on the left side, or rotate, or substitute during the match. One wonders if RDZ's obsessiveness is related to some psychological problems.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've not read this thread, but the only time we FINALLY started causing problems was in the 2nd half, when Mitoma actually started taking them on and going for the byline, instead of just cutting back and laying off a feeble pass (often intercepted). When he commits to beating the fullback he is absolute dynamite and causes chaos. It drove me MENTAL when I know he can have the likes of Ashley Young on toast EVERY TIME, yet kept taking the easy option.

I can only hope/assume that RDZ got in his earhole at half time at told him to get down that outside channel and start producing, because prior to that it was way, way too easy for them.
Both Nevin and Aspinall made the point that the two occasions when Mitoma got away, was when the 2-3 men Everton had assigned to him, were tiring and unable to track him.

He is our Zaha, opponents have to make special plans for him.
It may mean he has quieter games quite often, but there should be room for others to play.

Against Fulham he was pretty quiet, until Fati came on and started linking up with him.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
From the BBC

Everton Fans

Blue:
A drawn home game that feels more like a loss. We dominated for most of the game and should be banking three points. A player at 38 has no place in a Premier League side. Brighton played on our weak link and we were exposed. The pressure led to the own goal. We needed the win and failed.

How the hell do you dominate game with only 20% possession?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
From the BBC

Everton Fans

Blue:
A drawn home game that feels more like a loss. We dominated for most of the game and should be banking three points. A player at 38 has no place in a Premier League side. Brighton played on our weak link and we were exposed. The pressure led to the own goal. We needed the win and failed.

There are quite a few comments on the BBC HYS about that 20% possession at home, but this one stood out:

'Strange that nobody hasn't commented on a glaring statistic in the game.
For a side that only had 20% of the play Everton committed 75% of the fouls!
And received 67% of the yellow cards!'

From the BBC

Everton Fans

Blue:

I think you can tactically dominate a game with low possession stats if you bottle your opponent up enough to make that possession irrelevant. I think that happened on Saturday

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There are quite a few comments on the BBC HYS about that 20% possession at home, but this one stood out:

'Strange that nobody hasn't commented on a glaring statistic in the game.
For a side that only had 20% of the play Everton committed 75% of the fouls!
And received 67% of the yellow cards!'
Well you don't foul someone when you have the ball so makes total sense!!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well you don't foul someone when you have the ball so makes total sense!!
Yes you do! In the first game I looked at, Forest-Villa, possession was 26:74 and fouls 6:9.

Only one player has the ball at any one time, so the other 9 outfield players are free to obstruct, trip, body check, pull the shirts of the opposition etc. Just think how many fouls are committed in a set play, say a corner. The team taking the corner are in possession but several of them will be impeding the keeper, or trying to prevent the defenders from reaching the runner or header of the cross. Maupay used to do it all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here