Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some seem to be surprised that we are relegation candidates. At least I am being entertained in this year’s scrap. Some really unrealistic expectations on this thread. We lost at Everton by one goal, we had chances to come away with a point. I gather some on here expected scintillating football and three points

Quite....we didn’t play anywhere near our best, and could still have easily come away with at least a point with three v good second half chances (they put a number up on the big screen before the game - it was something their 4,500th consecutive game in the top division).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You didn’t watch it then?

Very little to do with luck, second best all over the pitch for 75 minutes.

It was inevitable Everton would be up for it, but surprising how little fight we had.

The harsh reality IMO, is that Ancelotti is a better manager than Potter, but the biggest factor is Everton have better, stronger players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummmm, so, Ancelotti is better than Potter ? Of course he fecking is - for now. Potter has had 21 games in the top flight of any major league. How does that compare with Ancelotti’s record ? It’s not a harsh reality, it’s bleeding obvious I reckon. Potter is still very green......

As for the players, Everton have spent 350m in 2 seasons (or whatever the number is). I’d expect theirs to be a bit better.

In other news, we were way to narrow in the first half (GP fixed that at half time), Trossard produces one or two moments of brilliance every game but vast swathes of nothing, and we REALLY missed Mooy. Alzate looks better every game and so dynamic, got to be close to starting regularly, with Pröpper further forward in the no 10 role where he looks a lot more dangerous.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ummmm, so, Ancelotti is better than Potter ? Of course he fecking is - for now. Potter has had 21 games in the top flight of any major league. How does that compare with Ancelotti’s record ? It’s not a harsh reality, it’s bleeding obvious I reckon. Potter is still very green......

As for the players, Everton have spent 350m in 2 seasons (or whatever the number is). I’d expect theirs to be a bit better.

In other news, we were way to narrow in the first half (GP fixed that at half time), Trossard produces one or two moments of brilliance every game but vast swathes of nothing, and we REALLY missed Mooy. Alzate looks better every game and so dynamic, got to be close to starting regularly, with Pröpper further forward in the no 10 role where he looks a lot more dangerous.

Yes. It’s pointless criticising Potter when he is up against a much better manager, similarly as per my point re the players. Probably £350m is right, as you’ve reiterated.

Under Potter lately, we have often been very narrow and this approach will not be successful. We need width, but who does he play? March?

Trossard IMO, is not a player to start away from home, he simply does not offer enough.

Today demonstrated Mooy’s impact, but I’m not sure I agree re Propper. Alzate is just excellent but needs to be central so he is on the ball more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Aspinall’s calling for that, Propper (or Mooy) just behind a striker eg Murray.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes. It’s pointless criticising Potter when he is up against a much better manager, similarly as per my point re the players. Probably £350m is right, as you’ve reiterated.

Under Potter lately, we have often been very narrow and this approach will not be successful. We need width, but who does he play? March?

Trossard IMO, is not a player to start away from home, he simply does not offer enough.

Today demonstrated Mooy’s impact, but I’m not sure I agree re Propper. Alzate is just excellent but needs to be central so he is on the ball more.

I’m fascinated to see what he does over the next few (eminently winnable) games. He seems to be an immensely thoughtful and creative character so I’m sure he’s already mulling over our weaknesses. Maybe it’s Ali and Trossard wide, but we need to have someone to get the ball to them. It’s not Dale.

Wondering if we have Maty, 3 x CBs, Montoya, Alzate, Mooy, Bernardo, Ali, Maupay, Trossard in a 3-4-3 vs the ‘lesser’ teams. I dunno. Roll on Villa.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m fascinated to see what he does over the next few (eminently winnable) games. He seems to be an immensely thoughtful and creative character so I’m sure he’s already mulling over our weaknesses. Maybe it’s Ali and Trossard wide, but we need to have someone to get the ball to them. It’s not Dale.

Wondering if we have Maty, 3 x CBs, Montoya, Alzate, Mooy, Bernardo, Ali, Maupay, Trossard in a 3-4-3 vs the ‘lesser’ teams. I dunno. Roll on Villa.

Hopefully we’ll get some new blood, as I felt the players looked like they needed a lift today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He really does. When we play with a two, even Murray, we look more of a threat.

Probably in a minority these days, but we look better when Gross is on as well.

I love him, he works his nuts off and has a bit of an edge, but he was quite isolated again today. He also got into a few great spaces but the others failed to find him (he was getting visibly frustrated). We need to create more chances for him - his conversion rate isn’t great yet but give him more chances and his confidence will grow. Personally would love to see a formation that included him and Connolly. Agree even with old Uncle Glenn there with him we looked more threatening.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree Maupay looks sharper when someone is playing next to him and thats not really how it should be. I.e. 4-4-2 ****s up your triangles, which is why few teams use it these days. Optimally, Maupay should be able to play as the only striker, linking up with wingers and penetrating midfielders.

Our problem is that none of the wingers (yet) seem clever enough to find open spaces and the hard-shooting, pacy AMC with the ability to dribble a guy or play in small spaces really doesnt exist in the squad, even if Alzate got the potential. There's no Ghoddos like in Östersund or Celina like in Swansea and we often look very.. wonky in the final third, something that becomes extra obvious when Mooy is injured.

That said I doubt we'll sign anyone. If you think its difficult finding a capable striker, then imagining trying to find a player for the almost extinct 10 role. Theres not a lot of David Silvas or Eden Hazards around and I think the focus will be developing players like Alzate, Trossard and Connolly to compensate for the lack of a real "10" and then, if needed, try to find one in the summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately it is becoming a repeated moan but we we4re klet down again today by poor defending from Dunk and Webster and our inability to take the chances that are offered. On the plus side Bernardo looked very comfortable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Our problem is that none of the wingers (yet) seem clever enough to find open spaces and the hard-shooting, pacy AMC with the ability to dribble a guy or play in small spaces really doesnt exist in the squad, even if Alzate got the potential. There's no Ghoddos like in Östersund or Celina like in Swansea and we often look very.. wonky in the final third, something that becomes extra obvious when Mooy is injured.

That said I doubt we'll sign anyone. If you think its difficult finding a capable striker, then imagining trying to find a player for the almost extinct 10 role. Theres not a lot of David Silvas or Eden Hazards around and I think the focus will be developing players like Alzate, Trossard and Connolly to compensate for the lack of a real "10" and then, if needed, try to find one in the summer.

Appreciate you're new to this but Potter got rid of Knockaert who can dribble past people and play in tight spaces - but is also far too selfish and a bit of a head case. He'd dribble past three and shoot from an impossible angle, or try to take it back past the first player again, instead of laying it off for a simple goal. A player that can dribble ideally better than Knocky AND know when to lay it off will probably be 50 million plus in the Premier League. With respect it's not Sweden or the Championship prices. Bloom won't pay that.

Trossard should be a natural 10. That's what he looked like when he started. But he flattered to deceive. He looks better coming on off the bench, something I called out way back in a poll where 90% of NSC said he should be starting every game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree Maupay looks sharper when someone is playing next to him and thats not really how it should be. I.e. 4-4-2 ****s up your triangles, which is why few teams use it these days. Optimally, Maupay should be able to play as the only striker, linking up with wingers and penetrating midfielders.

We've got one in the summer if Mac Allister's work permit gets the green light.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Doesn’t mean that 4-4-2 is wrong, Potter switches to it quite regularly even when he starts with 3 at the back.

Winger wise, as per previous posts, for some reason we have started to play quite narrow. Whether that’s to encourage the FBs into the space we don’t know. But you rarely win games without proper width, as it’s much easier to defend against narrow football.

I’m sure you’ll argue about “not knowing team instructions”, but either the team are playing to instruction or consistently ignoring them, neither of which is positive.

Perhaps Potter doesn’t feel he has the personnel, which to be fair is also true.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Appreciate you're new to this but Potter got rid of Knockaert who can dribble past people and play in tight spaces - but is also far too selfish and a bit of a head case. He'd dribble past three and shoot from an impossible angle, or try to take it back past the first player again, instead of laying it off for a simple goal. A player that can dribble ideally better than Knocky AND know when to lay it off will probably be 50 million plus in the Premier League. With respect it's not Sweden or the Championship prices. Bloom won't pay that.

Trossard should be a natural 10. That's what he looked like when he started. But he flattered to deceive. He looks better coming on off the bench, something I called out way back in a poll where 90% of NSC said he should be starting every game.

Good post, bit harsh on Knockaert as personally I feel he brings more to the table than just dribbling past players on multiple occasions.

He probably wouldn’t start games in preference to others, but we seem light in the winger department (literally), and when Solly starts he has disappointed this year.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
As much as I love Knockky, he has hardly been ripping up the championship this year. Yes the odd wonder strike like the one against palace but has been on the bench for games also.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As much as I love Knockky, he has hardly been ripping up the championship this year. Yes the odd wonder strike like the one against palace but has been on the bench for games also.

Yes that’s fair as well. Not dissimilar to Trossard albeit at a lower level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here