Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton v Leicester OFF

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’ve finally ditched the “all refs are biased against us” mindset.

For now.

Some of the 'big team bias' written on here has been borderline hysteria.

I would say 'Everton and/or Leicester (I still have no idea which one is big) will prove to be peak.

But I can't help.thinking at some point I'll read:-

'If a City player broke both legs of a player, it wouldn't even be a free kick'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some of the 'big team bias' written on here has been borderline hysteria.

I would say 'Everton and/or Leicester (I still have no idea which one is big) will prove to be peak.

But I can't help.thinking at some point I'll read:-

'If a City player broke both legs of a player, it wouldn't even be a free kick'.

Hordes at games and on nsc spent the first 4 EPL seasons obsessed with refs being anti Albion / biased towards every opponent.

My view was that many of these refs were simply error strewn (shit) against everyone. The same characters were disliked on other club fora.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hordes at games and on nsc spent the first 4 EPL seasons obsessed with refs being anti Albion / biased towards every opponent.

My view was that many of these refs were simply error strewn (shit) against everyone. The same characters were disliked on other club fora.

While now.

We're supposed to believe the division consists of 20 equal teams only divided by favourable refereeing.

As opposed to 'big 6' teams attacking with intent 30 times a game, getting more decisions than the team who only attacks 3 times.

Irrespective of the final score, Friday night, I guarantee there will be nearly as many mentions of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd as there will be of The Albion and palace.

'if City had done this'
'If Liverpool had done that'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
While now.

We're supposed to believe the division consists of 20 equal teams only divided by favourable refereeing.

As opposed to 'big 6' teams attacking with intent 30 times a game, getting more decisions than the team who only attacks 3 times.

Irrespective of the final score, Friday night, I guarantee there will be nearly as many mentions of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd as there will be of The Albion and palace.

'if City had done this'
'If Liverpool had done that'.

Not easy to find online, but in the past OPTA with some academics looked at each EPL season, with a view to establishing points should’ve earned without key officiating decision errors. They explain the methods in the articles.

It wasn’t a case of the top 6 always gained, instead all pretty random. Definitely some big winners and losers each season, but then they might’ve faced the reverse the next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not easy to find online, but in the past OPTA with some academics looked at each EPL season, with a view to establishing points should’ve earned without key officiating decision errors. They explain the methods in the articles.

It wasn’t a case of the top 6 always gained, instead all pretty random. Definitely some big winners and losers each season, but then they might’ve faced the reverse the next season.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In my experience with the big clubs as opposed to the others when we’ve played the, (all I can really go on), what rankles a little is the little things. Big teams seem to be able to take free kicks and throw in from the general area whereas other sides (including us) aren’t afforded that luxury. It’s not a decision as such, but there is some degree of turning a blind eye afforded to the big teams.

I also feel refs can sometimes bottle the big decisions from the big teams around red cards. Kane at Spurs and Walker in the cup semi spring to mind.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As Covid variants (hopefully) diminish further still in terms of the severity of illness, I hope soon that we see the end of this being a factor in squad availability. And the milking of the situation by clubs.

Is Omicron a threat to the life of a 25 year old athlete? We’ve already come along way, in April 2020 Troy Deeney was on a ventilator.

All players and staff getting vaccinated would be helpful.

We already know from countless examples of how football will take a mile when an inch is given. Furlough scheme and now covid cancellations with enormous reserve team and academies that have hovered up the best talent across the globe, it’s double standards when so many players are also unvaccinated. It doesn’t look good, should follow the German example where you can’t play if unvaccinated AND you don’t get paid either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We already know from countless examples of how football will take a mile when an inch is given. Furlough scheme and now covid cancellations with enormous reserve team and academies that have hovered up the best talent across the globe, it’s double standards when so many players are also unvaccinated. It doesn’t look good, should follow the German example where you can’t play if unvaccinated AND you don’t get paid either.

So true about greasy football clubs, agents etc.

Look at the lengths that Derby, Massive, Citeh, PSG, Real Madrid have gone to, to circumvent finances laws they signed up to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In my experience with the big clubs as opposed to the others when we’ve played the, (all I can really go on), what rankles a little is the little things. Big teams seem to be able to take free kicks and throw in from the general area whereas other sides (including us) aren’t afforded that luxury. It’s not a decision as such, but there is some degree of turning a blind eye afforded to the big teams.

I also feel refs can sometimes bottle the big decisions from the big teams around red cards. Kane at Spurs and Walker in the cup semi spring to mind.

I’ve looked at this eg the work of ESPN with LSE.

What was true, was that across sport refs are homers.

But Friend, Atkinson et al are widely hated by fans of the big 6 for shocking decisions in vital games that cost them.

I just think EPL refs are mainly incompetent these days. Look at the offside Sol Bamba winner for Cardiff against us in 2018/19. That was widely used later on by football writers in exemplifying the utter incompetence by our officials.

Then I watch CL games and see near faultless refs from the continent, not for example swayed by the cheating of Diego Simeone team antics.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Tuesday night's PL fixture has been postponed, again, due to Covid, injuries and international absences in the Leicster squad.

I see there were 3 games due to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, where have they come from?
Are they re-scheduled games from previous Covid postponements?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I wouldn’t class either of those clubs as particularly big, just using the system to their advantage. Unfairly….

Not sure what your definition of BIG is, but I think winning the Premier League might give you bragging rights and spending all but 4 out of 120+ seasons at the top table should also give you some kudos!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here