Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everest base camp trek. Advice...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree the people are poor but give their all to visitors. After the earthquake they just got on with rebuilding their houses. Very resourceful, as you have to be to survive up there. The magic of Buddhism in the mountains, as you say, adds to the awe inspiring scenery. The memorials are at Tengboche looking up the valley with Everest at the head and more at Duglha about 7 hours from Base Camp. I have left prayer flags in memory of my Mum, cousin and two friends over the years.
The one for my cousin at Renjo La at Christmas was most bizarre. Just as we finished tying it an Australian, and two Germans stripped naked on the Pass for a naked photo in front of Everest. Each to one's own and at least there were no Nepalis around.

You have just reminded me of something else. I was reading a book by Sherpa Tensing's son during the trip, and one thing that stuck was the locals' attitude to the mountain, which no doubt comes from their Buddhism. But You don't "conquer" Everest, Everest allows you to climb it.

It is a very healthy respect for all things natural.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cannot wait. And thank you for the advice. I am going to do the trek over 4 weeks in March but leave the volunteering as I am volunteering at a school and then a wildlife research centre in the Costa Rican rainforest for 10 weeks throught May/June/July then onto finish my stunt training in LA.

It will hopefully be an amazing few months. After losing 3 members of my immediate family in quick succession last year, including my Brother at only 39, I have decided life is too short and really can end in a split second, and I have to get on and do things.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cannot wait. And thank you for the advice. I am going to do the trek over 4 weeks in March but leave the volunteering as I am volunteering at a school and then a wildlife research centre in the Costa Rican rainforest for 10 weeks throught May/June/July then onto finish my stunt training in LA.

It will hopefully be an amazing few months. After losing 3 members of my immediate family in quick succession last year, including my Brother at only 39, I have decided life is too short and really can end in a split second, and I have to get on and do things.

I know its a fair number of months away...but don't forget to take some pics for posting!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Every year 2-3 Trekkers, at least, die below EBC. Mainly people in groups who have the peer pressure of staying with the group and ascending too quickly ignoring the tell tale signs AMS. Acute Mountain Sickness can hit anyone, the fit, the unfit, the young, the old, the fat, the thin. You just take your time going up, listen to your body and go down if symptoms persist. Walk in for 8 days and you will feel like a super athlete to those around you. :smile:

Sadly, this happened to a friend of mine.

He was an experienced trekker and had already been to Everest Base Camp and climbed Kala Pattar. He was near the summit of Island Peak when he started getting symptoms of Altitude Sickness. Did all the right things (rapid descent) and the group he was with put him in an oxygen tent. He seemed to be recovering but then died the following day. Not sure that anyone could have done anything else or better to save his life. Just one of those things.

Many people aren't aware of the risks, but it is just something that you have to be aware of and, as others have said, don't press on if you're getting symptoms. Wanting to not look soft won't help you in this situation, so always err on the cautious side.

Oh, and most of all, have a great time, Nibble. The Himalayas are fantastic and are inhabited by wonderful people.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sadly, this happened to a friend of mine.

He was an experienced trekker and had already been to Everest Base Camp and climbed Kala Pattar. He was near the summit of Island Peak when he started getting symptoms of Altitude Sickness. Did all the right things (rapid descent) and the group he was with put him in an oxygen tent. He seemed to be recovering but then died the following day. Not sure that anyone could have done anything else or better to save his life. Just one of those things.

Many people aren't aware of the risks, but it is just something that you have to be aware of and, as others have said, don't press on if you're getting symptoms. Wanting to not look soft won't help you in this situation, so always err on the cautious side.

Oh, and most of all, have a great time, Nibble. The Himalayas are fantastic and are inhabited by wonderful people.

That's awful for your friend and yourself. I saw a group of 4 set off for Island Peak with all the gear on a Yak and guide. You leave at lunchtime walk till sunset, wake about 2am walk up till dawn then descend. A real adventure and at 600 m above Kalar Pattar you would believe OK for an up and down. Sorry to hear and it shows the dangers of AMS.

I was in that valley before last Xmas and kept hearing of a man from Hove who got lost on the pass over to Lobuche. Met him 3 days later. His guide left him and his Mongolian wife near the top of the Pass saying he was sick. They got lost and ended up sleeping on the path for the night without food or water. All ended well but I would not want to be lost on those passes. His name is Simon from the Marina Speed Boat thingy. A Himalayan legend and I think from Southend originally. 0-1. Loser.

As you say fantastic and fantastic. I want to go back to Nepal , as well.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I did this about 6 years ago through a company called Community Action Nepal, which was founded by a mountaineer (Doug Scott). Amazing experience.

Not just any old mountaineer. The first Englishman to summit on Everest.

CAN are a great organisation and one that I an my friends have supported. In fact, all the donations raised following the death of my friend noted in my previous response were donated to CAN.

Blue Goon

Sep 2, 2011
I done the Annapurna circuit and sanctuary in 1998. I flew to Katmandu with the intention of walking on my own but ended up hiring a guide to do the circuit with me. It worked out about $20 a day which included all food, lodging, park fees and transport. I was lucky as the guide was a Nepalese student who was absolutely brilliant and really looked after me. I got altitude sickness twice which I was surprised about as I had done loads of ski seasons and had lived at altitude for months at a time. As already mentioned it can hit anyone and the best thing to do is descend and rest. I met quite a few groups and found that they had paid a lot of money for the privilege (especially when booked from Europe) and there was a lot of peer pressure when people got altitude sickness to keep going up and not hold the group up. One of the big lessons I learned was to pack light and only take what you need. I carried my own backpack and had way too much unnecessary stuff. There is a lot better kit about now which weighs less and packs really small. It will be one of the most incredible experiences you will ever have. I met some wonderful people both Nepalese and visitors.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I done the Annapurna circuit and sanctuary in 1998. I flew to Katmandu with the intention of walking on my own but ended up hiring a guide to do the circuit with me. It worked out about $20 a day which included all food, lodging, park fees and transport. I was lucky as the guide was a Nepalese student who was absolutely brilliant and really looked after me. I got altitude sickness twice which I was surprised about as I had done loads of ski seasons and had lived at altitude for months at a time. As already mentioned it can hit anyone and the best thing to do is descend and rest. I met quite a few groups and found that they had paid a lot of money for the privilege (especially when booked from Europe) and there was a lot of peer pressure when people got altitude sickness to keep going up and not hold the group up. One of the big lessons I learned was to pack light and only take what you need. I carried my own backpack and had way too much unnecessary stuff. There is a lot better kit about now which weighs less and packs really small. It will be one of the most incredible experiences you will ever have. I met some wonderful people both Nepalese and visitors.

I did Annapurna circuit in 1997 after doing a 9 (?) day trek in langtang the week before. did both completely independently, 3 of us. young and foolish, got lost for a bit in a very deserted langtang and had to cross a few dodgy bridges and landslides. we walked from quite low down (we got off he bus quite early due to it's HORRENDOUS condition) which I think was better. walked to the base camp, met some mentalist brits and did some day hikes. langtang was amazingly beautiful, so glad we started low and took our time. many funny stories and adventures. v mild altitude sickness and v strong weed. then took a week break in kathmandu and pokhara and did 7 days I think Annapurna. even more beautiful but busier, still exceptional though. amazing times in Nepal. saddened to hear since re the royal family problems, the Maoist problems (still an issue?) and the dreadful earthquake - was particularly sad to see the devastation to the town of bharatpur, which we had cycled to. returned to Nepal in 2006 via a short trek from Darjeeling (legally Indian territory but culturally and in reality Nepal), still amazing. I'm lucky enough to be reasonably well traveled from two long backpacker years. Have to say if someone only left the country once in their lifetime I would suggest Nepal and the Himalayas. Sunrises and sunsets to live for.

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Some excellent advice on here. Not packing too much is a good one. When we did our first trek, my wife and I had hired a guide/porter at Lukla (by the way, if you are a nervous flyer, don't look out the window flying into Lukla). After 2 days he did a bunk after we refused to pay him more than the (reasonable) originally agreed price. So we ended carrying all the extra clothes we thought (and had been advised) were needed but weren't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here