Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ever Seen Us Play Better?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Just a perfect performance. I just kept laughing at our play, it was so beautiful.
Me too. We were incredulous. Kept thinking it would end, but it didn't. At half time I said to my guests who I'd brought along for a first outing of the season, that they'd probably never see us play a better half. Then at 60m it's 4-0 and Cristiano is laughing!

el punal

Exactly this – I had pretty much the same thoughts. At half time, I sent a message to a mate – also in the ground – saying I thought it was the best half I'd seen. Little did I know it would be COMPLETELY surpassed by the second half.

I seem to recall we were 4-0 up against Leeds a few seasons back at half time (or maybe scored just after the break?) but that didn't feel as dominant as Saturday. Maybe because it was the Championship and we were used to winning? Whereas this result – especially at home – came out of the blue.

Was this the match when, at halftime, Bobby Zamora urged the players about the importance of goal difference? So 4-0 up and we took our foot off the gas in the second half. The conclusion of course was that we missed promotion (2015/16) by a goal difference of just 2. :down:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just thought of another one: the 4-0 win against Man City in the FA Cup in 1983. That probably comes 2nd for me. Both teams from the top division.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Up till the last 6 or so games I would have had this side as pretty comparable with the 81/82 one. Not now ……. They’ve gone up two years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just thought of another one: the 4-0 win against Man City in the FA Cup in 1983. That probably comes 2nd for me. Both teams from the top division.

Top division yes - but the 1982/83 Man City team were shit, and were on their way to being relegated (along with us).

The current United team, despite their recent woes, are a top six side full of star names. No comparison.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Top division yes - but the 1982/83 Man City team were shit, and were on their way to being relegated (along with us).

The current United team, despite their recent woes, are a top six side full of star names. No comparison.

Actually yes, that's a good point. I did say earlier that what made the Man U win the best was the combination of performance AND opposition, in the past it was either one or the other. As you rightly point out that Man City side were rubbish, so I'll withdraw that recommendation. I guess I've just got used recently to Man City being so good!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just a perfect performance. I just kept laughing at our play, it was so beautiful.

Reading this has got me grinning from ear to ear :D

There were a few earlier when we were in the middle of our losing run who were saying maybe it would be better if our draws losses and defeats were evened out over the season. I have to say that starting and finishing the season well with a dip (if we have to have one) in the middle feels far better to me :albion2:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Best performance I've ever seen by a Brighton team, certainly.

There have been far bigger games, at four different levels, but I have never seen us so near perfection. It's worth watching it again on Sky, because it's as good if not better than it seemed at the time.

Yep have watched the whole match again and it was even better as you miss things when watching at the ground. Fred was absolutely bedazzled by Gross 3 times. Some of our 1 touch footy was a joy to watch and not even nearly matched by Manure. Best match of my lifetime watching us

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We destroyed Blackpool in a 6-1 orgy of tippy tappy football and we scored a goal for them too. 2013?

that's the game that comes to mind for me as well. Another was a 3 nil defeat of SWFC and we had two goals ruled offside possibly the same year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here