Ever met someone famous who turned out to be a total arse?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Agree, CMS is a rare thing in football, a total PR genius. I admire his last man off the pitch attitude.

In this day and age with people like Giggs and Rooney, it's great to have people like him that you can be pleased the kids have his name or number on their shirt. Good work ethic, didn't chase money when signing for us (despite what Sam would have the world believe).

DaveTurner

Jul 17, 2011
In comparison to... D-listers like Norman Cook, Minging local model Jordan, Mark Wright from The Only Way Is Essex and others who are blinded by there own status/importance. David Haye was also an a**hole as have been a few ex-Albion players through the years.

One player from our current fold who I heard is top drawer to us is Craig Mackail-Smith, although I've never met him.

Met David Haye in Vegas at a Manny Pacquiao fight a couple of weeks after he won the world title. He was totally charming, spent ages chatting til the mainly american crowd started to realise who he was.

Met Jeff Rawle, the actor (might currently be a baddie in Holloaks), when I bought his flat in London in mid-90s. Really nice bloke, he was playing the useless editor George in Drop The Dead Donkey.

Really nice bloke, took my girlfriend (wife to be) and I to a Dead Donkey fimling, met all the actors afterwards. Stephen Tompkins totally blanked us (I think was totally hyper after coming off stage and would probably have blanked his own grandmother) and Neil Pearson (Between the Lines) pinched my girlfriend's arse, then apologised profusely when he realised it wasn't Jeff's missus.

I think the difference here was that I wasn't some groupie stopping any of them in the street, for a few minutes part of the inner sanctum, so they were all relaxed and nice.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Chris Kamara........ LEGEND. :)

Also met a few Brighton players at my football presentation evening thing up until Under 16's. Kuipers, Mayo, and Hart I think. They're not really celebrities but due to the lack of celebrities that I've met, I'll have to include them.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
In over 28 years in local and national newspaper journalism I have met and interviewed many so-called celebs or VIPs.
Off the top of my head in the TOTAL arse category (only after meeting them):
Tony Blair (spoke in cliches the whole time)
Steve Gibbons (full of himself and shit)
Midge Ure (total pisshead)
John Smith (former Labour Leader: very self-important)
Sting (so far up his own arse he cleaned his teeth upside down)

On the flip side some guys turned out to be utterly brilliant and my view of them changed totally:
Ken Dodd (a very sincere and lovely man)
Mark Knopfler (genuinely nice guy)
Tony Benn (just totally sound)
Steve Ovett (simply down to Earth and great company - clear he doesn't like Seb Coe at all!)
Tom Conti (probably the nicest celeb I have ever met)
All of Fairport Convention: they turn superstar status on its head and are all brilliant geezers

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
EDIT - forgot Lord Ivor Caplin - actually uttered the immortal words "Do you know who I am ?" to me. Wanker of the highest grade regardless of his support of the Albion.

LOL, I once had the same phrase uttered to me by a rather drunk Ian Hart in the queue for some fast food at a service station on the way back from the game. Unfortunately, it was probably the first time I'd ever seen him, so no Ian, I didn't until you then told me.

Chris Eubank - my sister has been a friend of the family for more years than I care to remember, and Chris (along with Peter and Simon) are top fellas.
Wendy Richard - was so rude that her partner walked out of the restaurant. Maybe it was just a bad day.
Jimmy Greaves - lovely bloke, perfectly happy to just stand and chat football, and was not all "in my day" at all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Btw, I should say that my post wasn't really a response to the OP's title. Ian Hart was, and is, in no way an arse.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Paul Weller…self important Knob end.
Back in the day he was recording Stanley road in a recording studio just down the road from the pub my wife worked at, he spent all evening coming on really strong to her ( a compliment ) She was 3 months pregnant at the time and married she told him so “that’s Ok he said” ..if that’s not bad enough a couple of months later he came back to the pub with his wife and his 6 month old baby…what a knob!!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I played 5-a-side with Danny Mills the ex pro last year. He was on my team luckily! (We won!!) Great bloke. Didnt scythe anyone down. Some of his touches were unreal. A pleasurable evening and he got the drinks in after too. I know this is under the wrong post but I couldn't find the proper one!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As we now seem to be including nice guys.....

I have met with my 4-year-old son Mister Maker and Sid from CBeebies and they were absolutely fantastic not just with the kids but also the adults. Lovely, lovely people with lots of time for everyone. Oddly Phil Gallagher (sp?) aka Mr Maker will be at The Amex this coming Sunday at a baby show. As will I *sigh*

My brother is a sound engineer and has pretty much met everyone famous in the music industry. As it is second hand I don't feel it right to pass on his negative story but he does insist that the nicest man in the biz is Paul Weller, already very high in my estimation anyway.

*edited for fat fingered typing*

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
My old man is a Cabbie and had picked up a few celebs over the years.

Paul McCartney when he lived in Hove got in his cab to the Brighton Centre and was apparently very up his own arse and left no tip from an £8 fare

He also had a job at Millionaires Row and was a little early so called his mum to wish her happy birthday. Anyway Norman Cook jumped in the back, my dad apologised and explained what he was doing and Norm actually asked for the phone to wish her a happy birthday himself. She was chuffed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Patrick Bergin (not that I was expecting much) This sweaty, bloated has-been knows a few of the same people as me and seems to spend his time getting drunk, beligerent and leering at women in The Lion and Lobster. He's a total **** and this is only made worse by wanky Brighton AmDrammers kissing his arse. A f***ing drunken mess.

Oh and John Nettles, had the misfortune of working with him, a very rude man indeed.

Julian Glover, I worked with him but I cannot figure out if he was a tosspot or beiing funny but he said to the director after taking some direction "I have been acting since before you were even though of". What had the director asked him to do? Wait until "Action" before starting the scene. That's pretty tossy I guess.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Steve Coogan (not for the first time on here) - we had a family meal in La Piazza one evening and took a few photos. Some git jumped up from an adjoining table shouting at us not to take photos of him. It was bloody Steve Coogan - we hadn't even noticed him until then.
Met Bellotti and Greg Stanley - 'nuff said (I'll now go and wash my mouth out)

On the positive side, met Cantona at the Beach Football a couple of years ago - he was most pleaseant and quite happy to chat and sign autographs. No big time Charlie.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Imet Keith Chegwin years ago when I was woring on one of the stalls at Chessington world of adventures, its was one where you oculd win a large soft toy Giraffe. He had a go and lost but wanted the prize anyway, he even pulled the "Do you know who I am line?" total cock-end.

Oct 25, 2003
colin kazim richards broke up a fight between leon knight and my mate in the honey club several years back

leon knight was being a total dick, coming onto peoples girlfriends and not giving a shit when they said they had boyfriends.....my mate got pissed off when he came onto his girlfriend and started having a go at knight, who got really aggressive and played the whole billy big bollocks stuff, a fight was about to start before CKR stepped in and apologised

later on had a chat with CKR and he was a decent guy

also met michel kuipers, guy butters, richard carpenter and danny cullip when i was at city college........they do something to do with AITC up there i think........they were all nice

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Imet Keith Chegwin years ago when I was woring on one of the stalls at Chessington world of adventures, its was one where you oculd win a large soft toy Giraffe. He had a go and lost but wanted the prize anyway, he even pulled the "Do you know who I am line?" total cock-end.

:lolol: you know your career's gone to the dogs when you're reduced to using your name to beg a stuffed giraffe from a theme park.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm thinking of starting a seperate thread 'Ever met someone famous and YOU turned out to be a total arse'.

Me and bruv went to meet Ralph Steadman once at his country pile in Kent. Our behaviour was so disgusting he wrote about it in a letter - to Hunter S Thompson! It's in his biography for all to see! :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports