Ever met someone famous who turned out to be a total arse?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I got to know someone well liked by Albion fans whose WIFE tuned out to be a complete arsehole.

He's great though. So are his parents. Who also think she's a twat.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Met Peter Ward in Dick's bar after the Doncaster game, took time for a photograph with me and signed a programme for my sick brother. Ward was being absolutely mobbed at the time by fans he just took it in his stride and had time for everyone, what a legend!
Also saw Storer there, my mate turned round saw Storer and yelled "STTOOORER". Storer turned to his mate and said "that happens a lot round here".
Was in the Honey Club one sunday in '03 and saw Mark Owen, went over for a drunken chat and he gave me the time of day. He literally put to bed the gay rumours by going home with two crackers at the end of the night. We invited him back to the house party a work colleague at the time was having he politely declined. Not suprising really looked like he had his hands full.
When at college, well over a decade ago now, did some work experience in the London and Hove offices for Ivor Caplin was a nice guy, loved a chat about the Albion. Ask him "if we would ever get a new stadium in Brighton and Hove?", he reassuringly tapped me on the back and said "in the next few years". Granted he was about 7 years out, but probably the first time an MP has told the truth.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I used to go to school with Steve Ovett. Even at 8 he was a cocky sod and was always bragging about how good he was at running. He challenged me to a race down Balfour Road, which I won. I was 10 at the time,though.

nice story

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Rory Hamilton-Brown. Went to India to see Sussex play in the T20 Champions League in 2009. We were invited to a drinks reception by the Sussex players and staff at their hotel as a gesture to thank us for our support. I'm sure Edna and Mendoza were there as well. 8ace was with me. To a man, all the players and staff were really friendly and genuinely appreciative of the effort we'd made to support them, especially Chris Nash, Ed Joyce and Andrew Hodd. The exception being RHB - Total cock. Arrogant, rude and totally up his own arse. In contrast, bumped into Brett Lee in the foyer of the same hotel as New South Wales were staying there as well. Top man, really friendly and very complimentary about the Sussex team and their support.

Colin Kazim-Richards - Arrogant cock.

Must be something to do with double barrelled names!?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jeff Stelling - came up with the classic 'Do you know who i am!? - i'm so powerful I could get you fired' to my sister when she workd at American Express

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not exactly a TOTAL arse, but Des Lynam comes pretty close. Not quite of this planet.

I tried to hand him an REMF leaflet outside Withdean a few years back and told him Peter Ward was flying back. He didn't believe me, made some sarcastic comment, and refused to take one. His very embarassed mate took one instead.

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Met Mike Read after a show years back and what a total arse he was.

Also Sally Tailor from Meriden news who was a real snob although she did look good in a pair of tight jeans and a t shirt.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I can't believe nobody on here can confirm my suspicions about Timmy Mallett yet.

(no, not THOSE suspicions)

What about the dear departed JS then? Seem to remember bumping into a bunch of lads from the NE in Oz a few years ago, who said Jim who lived locally to them, "fixing it" could be (let's say) open to abuse.
But now I expect we will never know, the guy's gonna be beatified.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I spent the afternoon with David Mitchell earlier this year, my mate was doing an interview with him and I wanted to tag along because I'm a big fan. He was genuinely a great bloke. He stopped for every single request anyone had for a picture or autograph until the end.. We all had an appointment and were running 10 minutes late. Two girls came up and asked for a photo. "I really haven't got the time I'm afraid" he said.

Those girls probably think he's an arrogant tosser.

When I was a kid I worked at Wentworth for the golf.

One year they laid a new marble floor in the clubhouse. My job was to make sure the players and caddies didn't walk across it in their spikes which would have damaged it.

Although a couple of players were grumpy when I asked them to take their golf shoes off all agreed.

Until Colin Montergomerie showed up.

"Excuse me Mr Montgomerie, would you mind taking your spikes off before walking in the new marble floor?"

"Why don't you f*** off and die" was his reply!

Nick Faldo, on the hand, who would have expected to be a tosser, was actually really nice and spent 10 minutes talking to me.

Shane Warne, who has been mentioned before, was an absolutely lovely to meet. Played poker with him and he didn't mind sharing plenty of cricket stories.

I asked him which player most worried him when he came into bat.

"none mate". That could have across as arrogant, but actually was probably true, he was after all the best bowler there's ever been!

And he bought a round of drinks for everyone at the table.

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Rory Hamilton-Brown. Went to India to see Sussex play in the T20 Champions League in 2009. We were invited to a drinks reception by the Sussex players and staff at their hotel as a gesture to thank us for our support. I'm sure Edna and Mendoza were there as well. 8ace was with me. To a man, all the players and staff were really friendly and genuinely appreciative of the effort we'd made to support them, especially Chris Nash, Ed Joyce and Andrew Hodd. The exception being RHB - Total cock. Arrogant, rude and totally up his own arse. In contrast, bumped into Brett Lee in the foyer of the same hotel as New South Wales were staying there as well. Top man, really friendly and very complimentary about the Sussex team and their support.

Colin Kazim-Richards - Arrogant cock.

Must be something to do with double barrelled names!?

Oz cricketers are great. Once spoke to Mike Whitney and Geoff Lawson who were actually sitting in the crowd on the Adelaide Oval terracing during an NSW-SA Sheffield Shield game. Totally approachable.
Not so Darren Gough at Eastbourne...

I [and a few colleagues] met Craig Mackail-Smith the day he signed; he was walking across the car park to his car and agreed to have his picture taken with us - a bunch of fawning men in their mid 40s. Apologising for taking up his time and coming out with daft, teen-like platitudes such as 'I bet you get browned off with this' etc, he replied he loved it and it was no problem at all and made us feel very appreciated and valued as fans.

I know this isn't the idea of the thread, but I thought I'd share anyway. BTW - I fell in love with him from that very moment; in a manly way, mind.

I think, as a club, we are very lucky to have CMS. I have met him a couple of times and he has always been very friendly and never rushes off.

Also, as a role model, you can't fault his attitude on the pitch of chasing everything for 90+ minutes. He may have off days, but he still gives 100%.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
bit of a role reversal.... My best mate in my early teenage years was David Van Day... he was ok .....became famous (B) and turned into a total arse.

DaveTurner

Jul 17, 2011
I [and a few colleagues] met Craig Mackail-Smith the day he signed; he was walking across the car park to his car and agreed to have his picture taken with us - a bunch of fawning men in their mid 40s. Apologising for taking up his time and coming out with daft, teen-like platitudes such as 'I bet you get browned off with this' etc, he replied he loved it and it was no problem at all and made us feel very appreciated and valued as fans.

I know this isn't the idea of the thread, but I thought I'd share anyway. BTW - I fell in love with him from that very moment; in a manly way, mind.

Agree, CMS is a rare thing in football, a total PR genius. I admire his last man off the pitch attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports