Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evening Seagulls

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nobody has mentioned Southampton, I see. They were rubbish under Puel at times and everyone is just assuming that the new guy will sort them out. We'll see.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody has mentioned Southampton, I see. They were rubbish under Puel at times and everyone is just assuming that the new guy will sort them out. We'll see.

True. They do seem able to withstand regular sales of significant players, but it sounds like the Van Dijk situation could yet become problematic for them. They still appear to have the conveyor belt of talented youngsters however. It was almost like their poor form last season went unnoticed, as you say.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I'm under no illusions, I think it will be us, Huddersfield and Swansea, but I'm pretty sure we'll have a bit of a laugh on the way, we just have to enjoy the experience of being in the top flight and hopefully we'll be in a strong position the following season to mount another promotion push.
I always said I'd be happy to be a yo yo team for a few seasons once we finally reached the promised land and I see no reason to change that point of view now.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
True. They do seem able to withstand regular sales of significant players, but it sounds like the Van Dijk situation could yet become problematic for them. They still appear to have the conveyor belt of talented youngsters however. It was almost like their poor form last season went unnoticed, as you say.

Well, you say that - but only two home-grown players, Jack Stephens and James Ward-Prowse, made more than ten Premier League appearances for them last season. I think the conveyor belt might be malfunctioning at the moment.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Huddersfield, Swansea, Leicester

I think we'll scrape staying up, and it'll probably go to the last few games before we're confirmed as safe. I expect us to take a hammering or two, but also to pull off at least one shock win over one of the big boys.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think one of the big boys will struggle this year, Tottenham probably ...having said that, I expect palace, Newcastle and Swansea to be the three dropping out

We will finish 10th and Huddersfield 12th.

Liverpool will win the title.
Arsenal will win the fa cup
Chelsea will win the CL
Southampton will win the league cup
Coventry will win the painting pot trophy
Billericay will wing the FA Vase
France will win the World Cup.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A Stoke supporting friend of mine is utterly convinced they will be going down this season

They will of course fire Hughes the moment things start to look a bit disappointing for them, so it rather depends on whether whoever replaces him can get the players going. They do actually have some decent footballers at that club (assuming they keep them).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah I expect us to go down, what with improving on our 9th place finishing squad of last season.
You do know how many points above relegation you finished, don't you?

For me anyone that finished 9th or below last season plus the 3 that came up could go down.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
As of right now

18. Watford
19. Hudds
20. Us

We're 2 signings away from being safe, a CM and a striker. Without those we're down. Think Newcastle will struggle much more than others expect.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
You do know how many points above relegation you finished, don't you?

For me anyone that finished 9th or below last season plus the 3 that came up could go down.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Possible? Doubt it though. Just looking at it logically.

Although being confident for the first time in 3 seasons will probably bite me on the arse.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How's it going?

Are most of you still like kids on (the longest ever) Christmas Eve?

Who are your three to go down?

Does this Burnley fan ever stop asking questions?

Dunno. I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it was better to travel than arrive. There's going to be a few downsides: little old Brighton and its fans are going to be patronised by Sky and the PL plastics...I'm guessing Burnley also had that a few years back. And not looking forward to the inevitable spike in homophobia directed to Brighton fans by the PL plastics who think they're the first ones to sing about it. We might also be slightly bored of having to explain the Brighton/Palace rivalry too. I do worry most about getting beaten week in and week out too.

The upsides are all the new stadia to visit, the BHA Panini stickers, the global interest, the chance of beating Man U (a club I hate with every fibre of my being..their team, their fans, what they represent...all of it).

I suspect we will go straight back down but as long as we put in a good show unlike Boro last year who stank the league out. A great season for me would be PL survival and beating Palace at home. Anything else is a bonus.

Jan 10, 2014
Dunno. I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it was better to travel than arrive. There's going to be a few downsides: little old Brighton and its fans are going to be patronised by Sky and the PL plastics...I'm guessing Burnley also had that a few years back. And not looking forward to the inevitable spike in homophobia directed to Brighton fans by the PL plastics who think they're the first ones to sing about it. We might also be slightly bored of having to explain the Brighton/Palace rivalry too. I do worry most about getting beaten week in and week out too.

The upsides are all the new stadia to visit, the BHA Panini stickers, the global interest, the chance of beating Man U (a club I hate with every fibre of my being..their team, their fans, what they represent...all of it).

I suspect we will go straight back down but as long as we put in a good show unlike Boro last year who stank the league out. A great season for me would be PL survival and beating Palace at home. Anything else is a bonus.

You can use the stereotypical homophobic stuff as a galvaniser, like we do with the 'Dingle we all wash our clothes in the canal' stuff.

If you have just one thing going for you, it's that your manager has been there and got a t-shirt.

Obviously a couple more Premier League experienced players and a forward would help, but the manager has the experience.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You can use the stereotypical homophobic stuff as a galvaniser, like we do with the 'Dingle we all wash our clothes in the canal' stuff..

Oh don't worry. It's not so much taking offence, I really don't. I'm not sure many Brighton fans do and the "you're too ugly to be gay" retort is a cracker of a response. It's just that after a good few seasons in the Championship, the homophobic chanting is now very much the exception. I suspect it might raise its head again and then there will be articles in the press, features on the radio and TV and frankly, it's all a bit boring now.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I'm expecting to see a fine mix of turgid draws, spirited wins, one or two hammerings (the first fixture comes to mind) but eventual survival. I'm approaching the season with optimism and foreboding in equal measure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here