Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European Places / Qualification Confirmed

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This article explains it all - it’s what we already thought on here but as there was some confusion about West Ham etc etc it clears it up - 5th and 6th straight into Europa League main - no qualifying etc - a decent article:

Another here:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also worth noting the Europa conference is just a ‘play off’ stage whereas the Europa league is ‘group stage proper’:

I really want 6th (or 5th) to be honest…

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The way I looked at it before last night was that we had three games in hand on Villa and Spurs, so let's call them Arsenal, Newcastle and City and assume we lost them all. That left us two points behind with all teams having four to play. We've got United, Everton and Saints at home and villa away. Win them all and we've definitely got Europe. First one done.

Villa playing Spurs means we can draw the Villa game and definitely get Europe if we win the three home games because of our goal difference advantage. And the three 'free hit' games gives us an opportunity for a bit more leeway.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Also worth noting the Europa conference is just a ‘play off’ stage whereas the Europa league is ‘group stage proper’:

I really want 6th (or 5th) to be honest…
I'm torn. I think we'd have a good chance of winning the Europa conference whereas the Europa league would be much tougher.

However I think we have a better chance of keeping more of our best players if we're in the EL. Plus there probably won't be many opportunities for us to finish so high up the table so in that sense having a highest ever finish of fifth sounds way better than 7th.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As the first article linked to is the BBC, I'd like them to change how they show the table. This would look much better!

1683289955384.png

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Looking at the table this morning I started to get worried about what happens if Man Utd finish 5th AND win the FA Cup (PLUS the Carabao Cup, which they've already won). Obvs 5th place is Europa League, as is the FA Cup winner, and the Carabao Cup winner is in the Europa Conference League...But what happens if this is one and the same team? As I understand it, Man Utd would then be in the Europa League, so 6th spot would then enter the ECL. But is there still an extra Europa League spot? (meaning 7th would become ECL place?)

EDIT: Maybe I dont need to worry too much anyway, as United's remaining fixtures look quite winnable.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm torn. I think we'd have a good chance of winning the Europa conference whereas the Europa league would be much tougher.

However I think we have a better chance of keeping more of our best players if we're in the EL. Plus there probably won't be many opportunities for us to finish so high up the table so in that sense having a highest ever finish of fifth sounds way better than 7th.
Personally just wanna see the Albion in Europe but get your point. Either way, I just want Europe this season…!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Looking at the table this morning I started to get worried about what happens if Man Utd finish 5th AND win the FA Cup (PLUS the Carabao Cup, which they've already won). Obvs 5th place is Europa League, as is the FA Cup winner, and the Carabao Cup winner is in the Europa Conference League...But what happens if this is one and the same team? As I understand it, Man Utd would then be in the Europa League, so 6th spot would then enter the ECL. But is there still an extra Europa League spot? (meaning 7th would become ECL place?)

EDIT: Maybe I dont need to worry too much anyway, as United's remaining fixtures look quite winnable.
No need to worry

1683291119158.png

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We’ve already secured a guaranteed top 10 finish which is amazing for a second successive season.

We’ve also secured a finishing position above both Chelsea and Palace which is stunning!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here