• Undecided

Votes: 32 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Feel like I'm back in sixth form :)

The political authority of the EU rests fundamentally upon the democratic mandate of its member states, who through referendum or through their democratically elected representatives agree to pool sovereignty on certain issues to the wider benefit of all members.

When was this proposition ever put the UK electorate? It never was, the closest we got was a promied referendum on the Lisbon Treaty (LT) by Labour in 2005, but we never got that. The LT was a re-hash of the EU Constitution which was rejected by the Dutch and French in referenda. Go figure.

It is derived through the the European Parliament, and the Council of Ministers. The Parliament is directly elected to represent EU citizens, while the Council of Ministers has a government minister from each country to establish EU law. They derive legitimacy from national elections. This is how it claims democratic legitimacy.

The Parliament is the least powerful arm of the EU. The power lies with the Commission, this is the law making are and executive, the people elected to this institution and its head (the most powerful man in the EU) are essentially elected by the Council which is a constituency of 28. This is a politburo, and how states like China "elect" its cabinet. Go figure.

No one has yet voted for Serbian or Moldovan accession. Serbia is an official candidate for membership. This is a good thing, less corrupt, more efficient political systems are good for the people of Moldova and ultimately good for the EU. It has hit a rocky road however. The EU keeps an eye on it though: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/02/15-fac-moldova-conclusions/. It does this as part of the European Neighbourhood and Eastern Partnership programme which helps post-Soviet countries undertake political reform and become fully functioning free-market democratic countries.

Why do I care about Moldova? The EU is now a collective of 28 states, why are the citizens not consulted on accession. The expansion of the EU has never been an issue any UK politicans put to the electorate, do you honestly think that if a UK politician regularly advocated the accession of Turkey to the EU he would gain popularity?

Forgive my copy paste but on Serbia: "Serbia officially applied for European Union membership on 22 December 2009,[6] and the European Commission recommended making it an official candidate on 12 October 2011. After the vote of the 27 EU foreign ministers on 28 February 2012, where with 26 votes for and 1 vote against, a candidate status recommendation was issued, and Serbia received full candidate status on 1 March. On 28 June 2013 the European Council endorsed the Council of Ministers conclusions and recommendations to open accession negotiations with Serbia.[7][8] In December 2013 the Council of the European Union approved opening negotiations on Serbia's accession in January 2014,[9] and the first Intergovernmental Conference was held on 21 January at the European Council in Brussels.[10]

See above.

So everyone supported opening the process with Serbia bar Romania.

Politicans should be answerable to their constituents.............no one cares about Serbia, Albania and Moldova; ther eis no benefit for the UK, it is merely another 10m or so people who can waltz into the UK.

You might be surprised to hear that the UK has traditionally supported the expansion of the EU eastwards

This is true, but it was never put to the UK that theu would be swamped with eastern european migrants. When Labour signed off on the expansion, they said only 15,000 would come...........I know laughable isnt it?

"In 2002, Tory MEP Roger Helmer, who went on to defect to Ukip, put it like this: "Tory policy on enlargement is clear. We are in favour of it, for three reasons. First, we owe a moral debt to the countries of central and eastern Europe, which were allowed to fall under the pall of communism after the second world war. Second, by entrenching democracy and the rule of law in eastern Europe, we ensure stability and security for the future. Third, an extra hundred million people in our single market may be a short-term liability, but long term will contribute to growth and prosperity."" http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/21/tories-conservatives-eu-enlargement-bulgaria

See above.

This argument has fallen out of favour with some Tories, and a large part of the country (though I don't think DC or GO) but it does answer why the accession of poor countries is in our interest. Entrenching democracy and the rule of law in the Balkans or Eastern Europe is a good thing - stability and security. Bigger single market = bigger economy, this hopefully generates growth. So there is political and economic reasons to support accession. Here is answer that involves democracy!

Its not working, these countries are being hollowed out. The reality now is UK payers pay money to subsidise poorly paid eastern europeans workers here and their kids in eastern europe........this is a disgrace.

Russia has a proud and noble tradition of space exploration and has a lot of expertise, collaboration is great.

We have sanctions on Russia because of the EU, this is creating problems in the EU, so why is space exploraton an exception?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
So, back to my original point, all these EU states are applying sanctions on Russia.

So how is it that we have sanctions (essentially a trade war with Russia), yet the EU is willing to engage in space exploration with Russia.

No I am assumong the Russians didnt let Tim Peake go for a ride on their boat to space for gratis?

Where is the sense of this policy................are we (the EU) against Russia or not?

Answers on a spaceship please?

Some things are above politics, like the ISS :p

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Erm, I think it was...........

The debate arose from my original point relating to how is it that the EU applies strict trade sanctions on Russia, yet has one of its institutional arms in collaboration with Russia on space?

This must involve EU money being paid to Russia..............I dont get it, we are either against Russia or not.

The nature of the ESA and whether it exists was as entertaining sideline, but when I made the point that was a given as far as I was concerned.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
B
So, back to my original point, all these EU states are applying sanctions on Russia.

So how is it that we have sanctions (essentially a trade war with Russia), yet the EU is willing to engage in space exploration with Russia.

No I am assumong the Russians didnt let Tim Peake go for a ride on their boat to space for gratis?

Where is the sense of this policy................are we (the EU) against Russia or not?

Answers on a spaceship please?

There's nothing unusual about this. It's similar to the policy that sees the British Museum lending exhibits to Russian museums at a time of icy relations between the two countries, or the Bolshoi touring Briain at the height of the Cold War. However, if you want to think that the Tim Peake situation is an example of EU craziness then carry on: it would take a better man than me to stop a Eurosceptic on a roll.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Erm, I think it was...........

The debate arose from my original point relating to how is it that the EU applies strict trade sanctions on Russia, yet has one of its institutional arms in collaboration with Russia on space?

This must involve EU money being paid to Russia..............I dont get it, we are either against Russia or not.

The nature of the ESA and whether it exists was as entertaining sideline, but when I made the point that was a given as far as I was concerned.

Ok, whatever you like. No contest. Readers will decide.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
B

There's nothing unusual about this. It's similar to the policy that sees the British Museum lending exhibits to Russian museums at a time of icy relations between the two countries, or the Bolshoi touring Briain at the height of the Cold War. However, if you want to think that the Tim Peake situation is an example of EU craziness then carry on: it would take a better man than me to stop a Eurosceptic on a roll.

To you maybe.

I can understand that cultural exchange would be a way of thawing tension, as the Bolshoi was and so would the exchange of museum artifacts etc.

This can be dealt with without much governmental oversight.

The point about the ESA/Russian collaboration is it must be costing EU taxpayers, and the EU (as teh ESA's biggest funder) must be paying millions to Russia's space agency. This is in direct contrast to the sanction regime.

Dont get me wrong if I was Putin I would tell the ESA where to go, but then that's what makes the anti Russian rhetoric of western politicans and this collaboration such a surprise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To you maybe.

I can understand that cultural exchange would be a way of thawing tension, as the Bolshoi was and so would the exchange of museum artifacts etc.

This can be dealt with without much governmental oversight.

The point about the ESA/Russian collaboration is it must be costing EU taxpayers, and the EU (as teh ESA's biggest funder) must be paying millions to Russia's space agency. This is in direct contrast to the sanction regime.

Dont get me wrong if I was Putin I would tell the ESA where to go, but then that's what makes the anti Russian rhetoric of western politicans and this collaboration such a surprise.
Yes, but Putin is rapidly becoming a complete loose cannon - perhaps he already has. He certainly seems to be out to destabilise the world order; I don't think he has grasped the fact that Russia isn't the Soviet Union - he thinks it is, or should be.
Rather worrying times, until the Russians ditch him - which doesn't appear likely in the immediate future.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
is russia that evil as the west make them out to be.

since the end of both world wars which country has been involved in the most wars out of western countries or russia ?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Yes, but Putin is rapidly becoming a complete loose cannon - perhaps he already has. He certainly seems to be out to destabilise the world order; I don't think he has grasped the fact that Russia isn't the Soviet Union - he thinks it is, or should be.
Rather worrying times, until the Russians ditch him - which doesn't appear likely in the immediate future.

Putin is defending his country's interests as I would expect him too.

I am not defending him or Russia, however the narrative of Russia and bad the west good doesnt sit right either.

The EU has formented the trouble in Ukraine, and continues to antagonise Russia as a consequence of its actions to prevent a pro Western revolution pushing up to its border by inmplementing sanctions. Russia's behaviour is no different to what the US has done in places like Grenada, Nicuragua, Cuba and other parts of latin America in the past.

Russia's involvment in Syria is another example, portayed as bad yet who are the West to criticise after the chaos it caused in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. Today after the bombing of a hospital in Syria we get the UK defence minister talking of war crimes yet the US bombed a hospital in Afghanistan a few weeks ago. What is the difference.

http://fair.org/home/media-are-blamed-as-us-bombing-of-afghan-hospital-is-covered-up/

Finally, there is the ongoing story of a Russian spy who turned traitor and took up UK citizenship. Are we honestly surprised that Russia then topped him? Its not like we arent spying i Russia as the embarrasing story of the MI6 rock...............I mean come.on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-16614209

He may be a loose cannon, but we have our own too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Look, I normally agree with you, but..........
Putin is defending his country's interests as I would expect him too..
Defending his country - fine. Expanding his country's territory by military means (covert or otherwise) - not fine: not by a long chalk. The bloke gives a worrying impression of being out of control.

The EU has formented the trouble in Ukraine, and continues to antagonise Russia as a consequence of its actions to prevent a pro Western revolution pushing up to its border by inmplementing sanctions. Russia's behaviour is no different to what the US has done in places like Grenada, Nicuragua, Cuba and other parts of latin America in the past.
The US's actions in South America are far from blameless - but it is their own back yard, They are not destabilising the world order by what they've done. Not good, certainly; infinitely less dangerous.
Russia's involvment in Syria is another example, portayed as bad yet who are the West to criticise after the chaos it caused in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. .
Russia's assistance in bombing the f*** out of ISIS is fine; unfortunately they're using that as an excuse to bomb the Kurds (strange that they're at odds with Turkey on this: they both appear to hate the Kurds with equal venom).
Finally, there is the ongoing story of a Russian spy who turned traitor and took up UK citizenship. Are we honestly surprised that Russia then topped him? .
Surprised? No. Was it right? No. Was it murder? Yes. Is murder right? No.
He may be a loose cannon, but we have our own too.
Unfortunately, I fear the Russian's loose cannon is in the process of losing it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I understand what you are saying, but in all honesty I don't feel we have a very good economy really. Shame our jobs are not being created in things like manufacturing instead of more service industry jobs, I would probably be a lot more positive about things, I mean how many more supermarkets do we need in this country. For me it's also about quality of life, I would take less people so I don't get the feeling everyone is starting to live on top of each other, even if that meant we where a lot poorer because of it. Just look at how busy the South East has been getting over the last 10 years or so, this is enough for me.

I feel your pain and I 100% agree with you, but that is the nature of having an economic system fuelled by the necessity for growth. I'm interested by the idea of a shrinking population and what it will mean for the environment - if we do manage to stop immigration, and you're still around in 100 years, the population of Britain will be down at 30 million-odd.

But can we really imagine the the government will do this? There will be short-term pain for those of us aged 20-40 when there won't be enough tax money to pay pensions and the NHS and so on. Only when we're all gone does everything start to stabilise. If I could believe it I would vote to leave the EU, but I don't for one second so I would rather stay in and remain with the much stronger environmental protections provided by the EU. The EU cares far more about quality-of-life issues than our own government does.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are out on a limb here my son................

http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/ESA_and_the_EU

The EU (via the unelected Commission) and ESA have been in partnership since 2004, the EU are the biggest funders, (that's money from EU taxpayers), plus then national states also fund the ESA so EU taxpayers get stung twice.

I will put this aberation down to an extra Augusteiner..................y'know one of the stronger summer brews.

Best you get your head down now and let the adults continue with the debate.

Chin chin.

Yes they collaborate, yes they fund, but it's NOT an EU organisation. This is my point, and my only point. Please read the second sentence of the link YOU, yes YOU, posted. Here is its: "while they are separate organisations, they are increasingly working together" The key words here are separate and organisations. It can't be any clearer. And this also goes to prove that in your frothy mouthed raging need to find evidence to back up your nonsense you don't even read beyond the first sentence.

They're separate, and this really is not rocket science.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & United Kingdom. They are the credited 'owners' of the 'non' existent ESA Just so all those casual viewers can recognise that.

Please. I never said the ESA didn't exist. Fergus referred to it as the EU Space Agency. I said this, ie an EU space agency, doesn't exist. And it doesn't.

Some seem to confuse Europe and the EU; it would appear you're doing just this.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I feel your pain and I 100% agree with you, but that is the nature of having an economic system fuelled by the necessity for growth. I'm interested by the idea of a shrinking population and what it will mean for the environment - if we do manage to stop immigration, and you're still around in 100 years, the population of Britain will be down at 30 million-odd.

But can we really imagine the the government will do this? There will be short-term pain for those of us aged 20-40 when there won't be enough tax money to pay pensions and the NHS and so on. Only when we're all gone does everything start to stabilise. If I could believe it I would vote to leave the EU, but I don't for one second so I would rather stay in and remain with the much stronger environmental protections provided by the EU. The EU cares far more about quality-of-life issues than our own government does.
the country was doing reasonably fine before we had tony blairs purposely orchestrated influx of immigrants, i cant recall seeing a pitiful declining NHS as we see it today and nor can i recall seeing a shortage of school places and come to think about it our pensioners weren't doing that bad either as compared to today's standard of care shown towards them..
finally if we do manage to get it right and are successful in curbing immigration how can you predict a population of 30 odd million ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports