Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euro 2028 UK & Ireland - the official thread

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wait for it to be confirmed first. I am sure UEFA could come up with a way to not award it to us even though there is no-one else. :)
UK is possibly the most appointed country for UEFA club/international events.

Last 30 years:

5 European Champions League Finals
2 Europa League Finals

3 Euros (including 2028)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The 2023 Rugby WC should be finished by then.
I've lost interest until the quarter finals, must admit. A Saffer staff member was telling me there is talk of even more countries next time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Def gonna be collecting caps - should be a decent amount of tickets available through the England travel club as long as they do t give too many away to undeserving money people & chancers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've lost interest until the quarter finals, must admit. A Saffer staff member was telling me there is talk of even more countries next time.

I'm guessing the huge intervals between games are due to player safety. For example, several of the 2003 WC winners have dementia, whilst greats such as Joost van der Westhuizen were/are afflicted by MND.

It just seems hard to get used to.

Do the England players go home in between games?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guessing the huge intervals between games are due to player safety. For example, several of the 2003 WC winners have dementia, whilst greats such as Joost van der Westhuizen were/are afflicted by MND.

Yeah, it has to be six days. As I was once told, you often can't walk for three days after a match ! Rugby tournaments always take a while. The World Cup can be dull until the business end.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, it has to be six days. As I was once told, you often can't walk for three days after a match !

I'm glad I didn't play after about 14, just PE rugby until then and I was scared of the huge kids charging towards me. I've known lots of posh boys who gave up age 18 to mid twenties. Their 6' and 14st hopeless against huge Polynesian folk playing at all 'amateur' levels in SE England.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm glad I didn't play after about 14, just PE rugby until then and I was scared of the huge kids charging towards me. I've known lots of posh boys who gave up age 18 to mid twenties. Their 6' and 14st hopeless against huge Polynesian folk playing at all 'amateur' levels in SE England.
I only played one match for the school. Cricket is my sport. I didn't fall in love with rugby till my 40s and had a ST at Quins for a couple of seasons. What with Albion, cricket and rugby on TV now I never leave me sofa. Autumn is a wet dream for lovers of all three sports this year.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

More or less, they are based in Le Touquet:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I only played one match for the school. Cricket is my sport. I didn't fall in love with rugby till my 40s and had a ST at Quins for a couple of seasons. What with Albion, cricket and rugby on TV now I never leave me sofa. Autumn is a wet dream for lovers of all three sports this year.

My fairly large family weren’t into any sports on TV, bar The Big Match on Sundays and World Cup tournaments. That was it. My two older brothers not together had been infrequent Goldstone attendees eg the Pat Saward 1972 apex.

Despite that background, I got into football (73 and 74 FAC Finals kicked it off plus wonderful Radio 2 …. I was only 8), then test cricket (the Boycott 100th ton 1977) and rugby union internationals when I was about 12. Fell in love with the sports, a young agile mind it was easy to work out the complex rules quickly eg at rucks and mauls.

Funny thing was, my family later saw what I liked and all got into it too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More or less, they are based in Le Touquet:

I remember it featuring in Agatha Christie’s. Toffs flying over in their Sopwith Camels.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My fairly large family weren’t into any sports on TV, bar The Big Match on Sundays and World Cup tournaments. That was it. My two older brothers not together had been infrequent Goldstone attendees eg the Pat Saward 1972 apex.

Despite that background, I got into football (73 and 74 FAC Finals kicked it off plus wonderful Radio 2 …. I was only 8), then test cricket (the Boycott 100th ton 1977) and rugby union internationals when I was about 12. Fell in love with the sports, a young agile mind it was easy to work out the complex rules quickly eg at rucks and mauls.

Funny thing was, my family later saw what I liked and all got into it too.
Butler & Jones, the sculptors of the night. Many a European night spent under the covers hoping the parents couldn't hear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Butler & Jones, the sculptors of the night. Many a European night spent under the covers hoping the parents couldn't hear.

Commentary Gods. Long, long before Peter Jones empathetic words at Hillsborough, his tone, eloquence and passion was captivating. I was at infants then juniors, I’ve must’ve pinched my Dad’s transistor radio for the evening. 73 England v Poland, 76 Liverpool at Molyneux, European/ECWC/UEFA ties, Wales v Scotland at Anfield. Goosebumps thinking of it even now. Youtube has a lot of this, thank god.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Thread (almost) derailed by rugby talk - grrrr!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Commentary Gods. Long, long before Peter Jones empathetic words at Hillsborough, his tone, eloquence and passion was captivating. I was at infants then juniors, I’ve must’ve pinched my Dad’s transistor radio for the evening. 73 England v Poland, 76 Liverpool at Molyneux, European/ECWC/UEFA ties, Wales v Scotland at Anfield. Goosebumps thinking of it even now. Youtube has a lot of this, thank god.
I did a wistful piece on my blog a while back

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did a wistful piece on my blog a while back

Thanks, I’ll enjoy that tomorrow.

Is that online publisher the same entity that printed historical Brighton books 25 years ago?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks, I’ll enjoy that tomorrow.

Is that online publisher the same entity that printed historical Brighton books 25 years ago?
I'm not sure which publisher you mean there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here