Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU to charge Britain more money due to success of economy....

Camicus

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Other than the elected EU parliament. Nothing passes in to UK law without Westminster consent.

Really??
"Most EU regulations or orders do not need our Parliament to pass an Act. The form of law where EU influence shows more is in regulations produced by individual departmental Ministers, which tend to look in more detail at a subject area.

The estimates consist of regulations called Statutory Instruments which are made as part of the European Communities Act – which authorises the Government to implement EU law by Acts or forms of regulations – as well as regulations of the same type which relate to the EU."
https://fullfact.org/europe/eu_make_uk_law-29587

"EU Business Regulation
A
Business for Britain Briefing Note
When discussing the European Union (EU) with UK business owners, it doesn’t take long for
the i
nevitable bugbear of Brussels
“red tape”
to be mentioned
Surveys conducted by
business groups like the Institute of Directors (IoD),
and even the more
EU
-friendly CBI,
find
that their members are concerned by the volume of regulation produced the EU
According to a 2010 House of Commons Research Paper (10/62)
: “The
British government
estimates that around 50% of UK legislation with a significant economic impact originates
from EU legislation”
and Open Europe estimates that EU regulation introduced since 1998 will
cost the UK £184 billion between 2010 and 2020. In practice very few bosses ever have time
to read even a fraction of the laws passed by Brussels that impact upon their business; a job
they leave instead to lawyers, lobbyists and compliance teams who, accordingly, put up
administrative costs. However, it is worth looking at the amount of business regulation that
has come into effect as a means of highlighting the gross excess of EU detail that British
businesses are contending with on a day to day basis

In this Parliament alone,
a total of 3,580 regulations and directives have been passed by
the EU
that affect British businesses.

The total word count of all 3,580 regulations is
over 13 million words
(13,3
words).

It would take a UK business person, working an average 40 hours a week and reading at
the average reading speed of 300 words per minute,
days to read all the EU red-tape
enacted since the current government came to power.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Other than the elected EU parliament. Nothing passes in to UK law without Westminster consent.

The EU has a number of institutions, such as the European Council, the Council of Ministers, the European Commission and the European Parliament. Acting together or separately, these institutions pass laws (such as regulations, directives or decisions), which may take effect automatically in the UK’s legal systems or require the UK to pass national legislation to give effect to the EU laws. The UK may also be affected by the treaties themselves, which may restrict what the UK can do, for example, restricting the UK’s power to limit imports from other Member States.

The Court of Justice of the European Union interprets the treaties and the laws which the EU passes and decides if Member States have abided by them.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

You could not be more wrong.

EU Regulations go straight to the member state's statute book without any requirement to be approved by the members state's democratically elected representatives. As it states on the Commissions own website.

http://ec.europa.eu/eu_law/introduction/what_regulation_en.htm

Currently, aspects of the EU's Capital Requirements Regulations are being opposed by the UK Govt in relation to the restrictions they set on bankers pay, and regardless of whether you think its a good thing that theses restrictions are being imposed, it's an example of how law has been drafted and imposed on the UK by foreigners without any direct democratic mandate by the UK electorate.

It is a fact of life these days that anyone who opposes conventional orthodoxies, such as the EU is a good thing, are labelled as the irrational loonies yet as this example proves, it is those who are blindly obedient to the dogma who are actually the real fruits of the forest.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
People move here for the work. Unskilled it still paying more than eastern European countries. The point being you can't have it both ways. We either have freedom of movement or we don't. It's a two way street. So to stop immigration from the eu.you will have to stop emigration. What about the hundreds of thousands who come from former commonwealth countries? How is that fitting in to all that

why cant you have it both ways?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Rubbish. Blame the elected by the eu parliament commissioner's as much as you like but it still has to be passed in to law by Westminster. Ukip exist because it's easier to blame Johnny foreigner than our own government

so what you are basically saying then is there is no need for us to negotiate deals with the EU on migration because Westminster makes all the decisions. that is not true and you know it.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
The issue of the Irish border was raised in the press a few days ago. I'd never considered this. The comment was that as part of the Good Friday Agreement it's a "soft border". If Ireland was in the EU but UK isn't it would need to be a sealed hard border which might cause a few issues.

Absolute bollocks , its always been a " soft" border.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
so what you are basically saying then is there is no need for us to negotiate deals with the EU on migration because Westminster makes all the decisions. that is not true and you know it.

Well Westminster ratifies an EU law. Each can be challenged and the UK has the least amount of challenges in the EU. Also up until last year as almost everyone knows, most immigrants to the uk, legal and illegal came from outside the EU and still around 45% do. So Westminster have had years and years to curb the flow if it had wanted to. It hasn't. Immigration only becomes an issue when a new member state enters and suddenly Farage et al start the scaremongering. Yet no one mentions the influx from the Middle East, Asia, Africa or the Indian sub continent, of which we see huge migration to the uk all the time. Before anyone else says 'yes but it's the French that let them get to the UK', would this stop if we left the EU? Of course not. Westminster hasn't ever got its sh*t together on this. Yet all the ukips bang on about are our own laws etc and we seem incapable of doing a better job at Westminster than the Euro Parliment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well Westminster ratifies an EU law. Each can be challenged and the UK has the least amount of challenges in the EU. ...

hmm another one. nothing the EU passes on has to be ratified as its submarined under the powers given away in the various EU treaties, themselves often not ratified or passed on a different pretext. i wonder how many pro-europeans really understand the loss of power and soveriegnty from membership, and if they did, would they still be in favor. it isnt about immigration at all really, thats just a recent focal point to pick up popular support.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Of course its double counting - the money you spend has already been taxed and it gets taxed again and again and again every time your £ goes from person to person. It doesn't stop when you give it to someone in the black economy it just gets taxed differently and its more likely to be on something expensive with lots of tax on it

You misunderstand me. Taxes on money laundered are already in the Exchequer records - marked as clean money. If you record the same transaction twice for the same event as you would if you include money laundering as part of the black economy and as part of the clean economy then it would be double-counting. I'm not talking about what happens with the money further on down the line or even prior to that.

And to back up my point further I did some checking and the ONS does NOT include money laundering as part of its black economy calculations, only drugs and prostitution:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-met...-prostitution-in-the-uk-national-accounts.pdf

I've read the background to why they include these items and it's to get a better idea of turnover of UK plc of which money laundering is already in the records. I hope you can now see that even though the turnover of UK/Greece/Italy/Holland will undoubtedly increase by including estimates of drugs and prostitution, the countries don't see any of the income tax on that money. Only sales tax that is, as I've explained cost-neutral because it would have been paid anyway whether by drug user or drug dealer.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
hmm another one. nothing the EU passes on has to be ratified as its submarined under the powers given away in the various EU treaties, themselves often not ratified or passed on a different pretext. i wonder how many pro-europeans really understand the loss of power and soveriegnty from membership, and if they did, would they still be in favor. it isnt about immigration at all really, thats just a recent focal point to pick up popular support.

Exactly, and what's more do they understand that the EU got many of these executive powers in the Lisbon Treaty, which was a repackaged version of the treaty rejected in referenda in Holland and France.

The same treaty Labour promised they would also put to the electorate in their 2005 Manifesto.

But they didn't because ex EU Commissioner Peter Mandelson referred to the Lisbon Treaty as a "tidying up exercise".

Quite.......

Under the EU treaties our parliament has no choice but to do so. It's smoke and mirrors to give the EU a hint of respectability and democracy.

I don't believe that's so; the implementation of an EU directive is the responsibility of the national authorities (ie governments) of the EU member states. The UK Parliament could vote down a government proposal for implementation if it so wished, even though the directive itself will have already been approved by the UK government (via the Council of Ministers) and the European Parliament.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think the UK would go for a far looser relationship with Brussels allowing repatriation of law making and immigration control but that ain't ever gonna happen is it.

We would cause a massive earthquake if we were to exit...but, until that looks very likely, we won't get anything from the commission.

Witness the tragic surrender by Dave and the others when SNP took a two point lead in the Scottish referendum. The EU fought tooth and nail to kep hold of Greece and Portugal who are, and have always been, net costs to the community. The UK, as one of the largest net payers, are far more important.

We'll have to be a lot further out of the door to get anything like what we would like.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Once more you blame immigration. Why does no one get its not eu migration that is the problem

Who are you referring to? Between your penultimate post and this one, no-one's blamed immigration as far as I can see. And one eurosceptic has written:

i wonder how many pro-europeans really understand the loss of power and soveriegnty from membership, and if they did, would they still be in favor. it isnt about immigration at all really

And 2 other euro-sceptics (myself included) agreed with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here