Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU Referendum NSC opinion poll 2015

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Unio

• Leave the European Union

Votes: 124 49.2%
  • Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 128 50.8%

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I predict a lot of posts from ukips press officer, with links to long dull articles that don't actualy support the point he's making.

and if people think that the future is being out of the EU then they are deluded.

Well it didn't take long for the insults towards those of us that want out to start did it. I always find it fascinating that those proposing getting out get the insults lumped at them, that they are somehow less intelligent than those proposing staying in.

I also find it strange that somehow, anyone who wants out must be a UKIP supporter. There have been, and still are plenty on both sides of the political divide that want out - left and right.

I've no doubt that the whole debate will descend into name calling and scaremongering without facts ( and I don't just mean on here ), indeed Clegg has already started.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For the good of our economy and the ease with which we can do business with hundreds of millions of potential customers we HAVE to stay in.

i read a surprising stat recently, i dont recall the exact number nor do i necessarily believe its the full story, that something like 95% of business transaction in the UK are within the UK. it seemed fantastical, but if you consider every shop, builder, accountant, garage, resturant, small factories, distributors, you realise thats probably not wrong. yet all those businesses have to comply with all EU legislation in order to maintain the premise of a single market. apart from Amazon (based in Luxemburg to benefit from lower tax) I dont think i have ever made a purchase from a EU nation. so that "potential customers" line is very possibly a little distortion of reality.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I also find it strange that somehow, anyone who wants out must be a UKIP supporter. There have been, and still are plenty on both sides of the political divide that want out - left and right.

I've no doubt that the whole debate will descend into name calling and scaremongering without facts ( and I don't just mean on here ), indeed Clegg has already started.
Won't be much different from the original dirty 'in' campaign back in the 1970s then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well it didn't take long for the insults towards those of us that want out to start did it. I always find it fascinating that those proposing getting out get the insults lumped at them, that they are somehow less intelligent than those proposing staying in.

The definition of being deluded is ignoring reality and rational argument. The world we live in now is no longer parochial. Business, crime, pollution, human rights - they're no longer national issues but have become pan-European issues. The issue should not be in or out, but how best to influence reform of the EU.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Won't be much different from the original dirty 'in' campaign back in the 1970s then.

I'm just awaiting the 'Little Englander' tag and I have a line on my bingo card.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not just about money, it's about environment, human rights, refugees, our relationship with Russia, North Africa. We need to co-operate more effectively and can do that better within the EU.

why is there an assumption that our relationship with Russia or others would be poorer outside the EU? we seem to do OK on the international stage before 1973, not perfectly im sure. with the other 27 oars being stuck in, it could well be worse than if we were seen as independant. the EU reaction to the refugees is hardly an endorsement, in fact it demonstrates how the rules get brushed aside or ignored aside whenever convenient.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The definition of being deluded is ignoring reality and rational argument. The world we live in now is no longer parochial. Business, crime, pollution, human rights - they're no longer national issues but have become pan-European issues. The issue should not be in or out, but how best to influence reform of the EU.
Crime and pollution are all pan-European now......... Yep, that's progress!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can't we just look at the last time this was done, or the time before that. No one's views have changed.

I'm not so sure.

I've always been firmly in the 'in/stay' camp but I haven't voted in this poll, and I'm now firmly on the fence.

Why? Business wise, as someone whose business is involved in exporting worldwide, being part of the EU has helped eradicate certain procedures, and reduced red tape when exporting into the EU. Having said that as a company we also export to the States, half a dozen countries in Africa as well as the Middle East without any great problems.

I see today that the government says we need a million new houses built in the next 5 years. The pressure on local services, particularly in the South East caused by our population increasing so sharply must have a detrimental effect on the quality of life for those already here, and it is the lower skilled, lower paid that are are most affected by cheap European labour.

Put me down as a don't know.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

And we have to be in the EU to influence these things do we ? CMD went to China only last year and raised human rights issues as the BRITISH Prime Minister not as an EU representative. The EU seems to be doing a blinding role in dealing with the migrant issue currently ..... oh

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Have you already got 'pinko-leftist-commie' and 'fascist-racist' then (they were great favourites in the 70s campaign)?

Xenophone will be needed for a full card.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And we have to be in the EU to influence these things do we ? CMD went to China only last year and raised human rights issues as the BRITISH Prime Minister not as an EU representative. The EU seems to be doing a blinding role in dealing with the migrant issue currently ..... oh

It stands to reason that Britain's global influence when acting alone will continue to diminish over time. We no longer have the military might we once had, or the political influence. Whereas there were 6 or 7 global "movers and shakers" there are now 12 or 13. Yet Britain historically has punched above its weight and sought global influence. A larger role in a reformed EU is the logical place for us in the modern world.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
M
I love some of the absolutely plucked out of the air figures quoted by Europhiles on the costs to us of staying members.£15 per head?Really?Even the last set of figures released by the EU (2011) quoted over £100 per man,woman,and child in the UK.Not even per taxpayer.Just the admin costs of this gravy-train,nearly 8 billion euros last year,is more than we get back for farming subsidies,the main benificiary of this lunacy!

Figures are sometimes difficult to pin down. The Telegraph (anti-EU) quotes a net figure of 73 euros per head for 2011 but this is reduced by indirect gains in economic activity - the UK government suggests that each household gains between £1500 and £3500 a year as a result of the common market. It is obviously wrong for anyone to think that these benefits would remain if we pulled out of the Union. There may be a few pluckers on this thread but I'm not one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here