Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] EU Customs Union

If a vote were to be held to remain outside the EU but rejoin the Customs Union, how would you vote?

• Rejoin the Customs Union

Votes: 171 87.7%
  • Remain outside a Customs Union

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • I wouldn’t vote

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Dunno

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Only 22 months out of the Customs Union and an overwhelming majority to re-join (or create a 'Vassal State'). Who'd have thought :lolol:
Overwhelming majority of NSC who were (are) majorly Remainers. As posted above, this is far from the overall UK sentiment.

I'm sure any kind of 'union' with the EU will treated with a lot of scepticism as this is basically how the whole EU started way back when.

General public trust of politicians is not high and they won't trust them with it imo and view it as a sneaky way to get around Brexit.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Starmer has such a massive lead in the polls that he should IMO, put this in the Labour Manifesto.

In fact, he should include a second referendum in the manifesto - but will he?
He absolutely shouldn't include a second referendum in the manifesto. I say that as a remainer who would very much love to rejoin the EU.

Brexit is political taboo now. Nobody looks back on the referendum as a positive moment in British history and another one would just drag up a whole load of unresolvable issues and allow the far-right of this country (UKIP etc.) to regain the foothold they have lost over the last few years.

Rejoin the single market and customs union, pave ahead a new relationship with the EU as a partner nation (that is being a member in all but name) and Brexit will cease to be the issue it currently is.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The only way to get the economy back on a relatively stable footing, free up exports, boost GDP and fill the gaps on our supermarket shelves is to rejoin the single market & customs union. There is no magic, post Brexit alternative.
Is it different down south? There are no gaps on supermarket shelves up here.

You won't improve the UK economy by closer links to another tanking economy. The EU on average is in certainly no better a state than ours, probably worse. Rejoining the EU as a protectionist bloc may or may not be good for trade, but it won't be a panacea for all ills.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Overwhelming majority of NSC who were (are) majorly Remainers. As posted above, this is far from the overall UK sentiment.

I'm sure any kind of 'union' with the EU will treated with a lot of scepticism as this is basically how the whole EU started way back when.

General public trust of politicians is not high and they won't trust them with it imo and view it as a sneaky way to get around Brexit.

While I agree that Brighton & Hove is always likely to have a “Remain” slant on this, I’m a little surprised by the numbers being quite so high in favour.

I also agree that trust in politicians is (completely understandably) at a bit of a low ebb.

However, surely the benefits of a customs union are straightforward, simple enough to understand in general terms, and it’s easy enough to communicate the demarcation lines: That we’re not joining back up to the European Parliament, that we’re not (necessarily) rejoining the single market (though I know many on the remain side would like us to)

It cuts the number of Whitehall staff we need as we no longer need to negotiate our own trade deals, and the EU negotiating for the bloc as a whole gives far greater leverage than we have on our own.

Additionally it resolves the currently insoluble issues regarding the NI Protocol that are putting the Irish peace process at risk.

Finally, it would go some way to restoring our international reputation.
The only negative I can perceive at all, is that among the most fervently pro-Brexit, there may be a feeling that this is somehow ‘wrong’, but I can’t detect any tangible negatives at all.

I’m prepared to be educated if I’m missing something though?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Given the narrowness of the Brexit vote, the massive understatement of Project Fear and the fact that Brexit always was achievable remaining within the customs union, there is absolutely n need for a referendum on this.

The only possible blocker is if the idiots in charge actually manage to sign any sort of long term trading deal, which would prohibit the UK joining the trading block. They all seem much better at shouting slogans and finger pointing than getting stuff done.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Maybe it does pass as democracy, but it’s akin to the hut being painted yellow in Auf Wiedershien Pet, ’Leave’ won (and yes i‘m over it) however fact remains it went through with only about 35% of eligible voters voting for it.

I’d really appreciate us keeping off the more general Brexit topic, there’s a thread already out there for it, and this will very quickly get derailed, binned completely or banished to the Bear Pit if we go off topic. Meaning no disrespect.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would you want to see them, you didn't want to see the terms and conditions of the alternative when you voted out of the Customs Union :shrug:

Only 22 months out of the Customs Union and an overwhelming majority to re-join (or create a 'Vassal State'). Who'd have thought :lolol:
The time for looking at the terms and conditions was 1975, when people voted like sheep, afraid of being labelled communists and/or fascists (Enoch Powell and Tony Benn were the main figures against joining). That was the way the 'join' campaign was run.

22 months later and an overwhelming majority* wants to re-join. Quelle surprise!

* An overwhelming majority on NSC that is. No change there then.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Absolutely there is a case for rejoining the CU and the Single Market, but it will only be made palatable to the general public if the pros and cons are explained in a clear and concise fashion, preferably clear of party politics. Not much hope of that I'm afraid.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They say you learn from your mistakes. Let's bloody hope so. Trade with our nearest neighbours is now a major ball ache and expensive.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Absolutely there is a case for rejoining the CU and the Single Market, but it will only be made palatable to the general public if the pros and cons are explained in a clear and concise fashion, preferably clear of party politics. Not much hope of that I'm afraid.
I think the Labour Party should continue to rule out a referendum on rejoining the EU but commit to rejoining the CU and single market if they are elected. They’d still win with a big majority as support for the Tories might be extinct by then.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The time for looking at the terms and conditions was 1975, when people voted like sheep, afraid of being labelled communists and/or fascists (Enoch Powell and Tony Benn were the main figures against joining). That was the way the 'join' campaign was run.

22 months later and an overwhelming majority* wants to re-join. Quelle surprise!

An overwhelming majority full stop. A big chunk of brexit voters are dead, I've no met anyone under 20 who thought it was a good idea . . .my lads school did a vote and over 90% voted remain.

Labour will have a job to win a majority regardless

Rev-exit is a separate issue for a different time . .. . . If we stay on the same trajectory as a monkey village we won't be worthy or eligible to join.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is it different down south? There are no gaps on supermarket shelves up here.

You won't improve the UK economy by closer links to another tanking economy. The EU on average is in certainly no better a state than ours, probably worse. Rejoining the EU as a protectionist bloc may or may not be good for trade, but it won't be a panacea for all ills.
Do you have a real objection, or is it just EU phobia?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ultimately I am pretty confident Britain will be back in the Single Market and probably Customs Union by the end of the 2030s latest. Governments can only deny political and economic gravity for so long. Once this current crop of Tory MPs are out of the way the conversation will change quite quickly IMHO, especially given demographics.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

The 1975 referendum was to ratify or reject the Conservative goverment of Ted Heath's decision to join as of 1st Jan 1973. This was a manifesto pledge of the incoming 1974 Labour Goverment. This was not to Join but whether to remain.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maybe it does pass as democracy, but it’s akin to the hut being painted yellow in Auf Wiedershien Pet, ’Leave’ won (and yes i‘m over it) however fact remains it went through with only about 35% of eligible voters voting for it.

Absolute b0llocks. 72% voted.

Registration and turnout and the result of the referendum
A total of 46,500,001 people were registered to vote in the referendum and 33,577,342 votes were cast, representing a turnout of 72.2%. Except for the Scottish Independence Referendum in September 2014, this was the highest turnout since the 1992 UK Parliamentary general election (UKPGE).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The 1975 referendum was to ratify or reject the Conservative goverment of Ted Heath's decision to join as of 1st Jan 1973. This was a manifesto pledge of the incoming 1974 Labour Goverment. This was not to Join but whether to remain.
Technicallity. It was still an in or out choice. And it was still a dirty campaign.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Technically, Labour never needed to offer the vote in the first place. Heath took us in, Labour gave us a choice .
What's your point? Whoever did what, they gave us an 'in or out' choice to vote on. That's it; that's what they did and that's what happened.

There was a lot of pressure applied to persuade people to vote 'in', and plans for future developments, whatever they were at the time, were most certainly not widely publicised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here