Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ethnic Cleansing

thornabyred

Apr 6, 2016
It wasn't one bad egg in Boro, it was a fair few. But, as I've said before, I would guess that most of those we encountered on our way back from the Riverside to our car in the car park behind the Holiday Inn Express had been in the pubs and not at the game itself. Others I know who walked back to town had similar experiences.

There was also a coach load of Albion fans who had stayed at the Holiday Inn overnight and had to return to their coach there after the game. Boro fans didn't cover themselves with glory there either. I've been told both by fans on that coach and the coach operator that it all got very unpleasant with bottles thrown at the Albion fans. Decent, ordinary fans who just wanted to get on their coach, start their long journey home and leave the town of Middlesbrough to enjoy its achievement.

From there, NSC became flooded with abuse. With most of our moderators either in Middlesbrough or travelling home, it was difficult to manage. A lot was unpleasant. The way we are now moderating new users means abusive posts are hard deleted - they never appear - no one beyond the moderator involved sees them.

It wasn't just on NSC though. Twitter and Facebook have been used extensively as well. It probably reached a new low at the end of last week when the NSC page shared a poem written by [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]. As we headed to Hillsborough and the Leppings Lane End, the poem was about how all of us are lucky because we go to football and we get to come home again, unlike the poor 96. It was putting it all into perspective. Boro fans even used this as a vehicle to be abusive and homophobic, such as this:

View attachment 74820

I would guess I've had to ban in excess of 100 Boro fans from the NSC Facebook page.

As I say, it has been quite extraordinary from my extensive experience.

I'm sure Boro has many thousands of thoroughly decent fans - we've had a couple on here. You do seem blessed with more than your fair share of the opposite unfortunately.

Cannot condone any of the homophobic stuff either online or in the ground.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't say that the homophobia really bothers me - and to be utterly fair we have dished some pretty mean spirited stuff out about the Northern Slums, the doley scum etc...

For everyone saying "Oh my god, a homophobic comment - lets go to the police" I would say, take a breath and let it go - the literal screaming for a policeman crap gives us all a bad name.

Is racism ok? Does that bother you?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

(Deep breath while awaiting a slating) Um, yes, yes it does. However, the point that I'm making is that with football being the tribal, primal sport that it is, I think the vast majority of fans have, at some point, made some form of derogatory statement about another teams set of fans. While a small minority will take it too far (for instance the hideous Hillsbororugh stuff Utd fans have trotted out over the years, and the frankly horrendous treatment of that palace lad by our own "fans" only last week), in the main the majority of it IS harmless, and my view is that if you can't give it, don't take it. By many of my own friends I've been called a "poof, a bender and a fudge packer" due to the team I support, but do you know what? I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to take it back and give it back. I see the concept of being thin skinned and being offended for offendeds sake a bit peculiar. Context is everything. If people wish to indulge in stereotypical name calling whilst I'm at a game, fine. In "real life" absolutely not. But football isn't "real life". And that's what makes football special, in good ways and bad.

I hope my explanation makes sense, and I in no way wish to offend. It's just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

real racism is awful

unfortunately in this country we have a clueless mob that scream racism where it doesnt exist,its the same idiots that claim anyone who wants to live an independent country is racist,the same berks that think criticising a religion is somehow racist.and the same morons who cant understand what damage they do to people and groups fighting actual not perceived racism when they make their holier than though privileged claims

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not really much we can say to be honest. If we did take the pish some of you would take it as banter, the other half would run crying to the mods. All in all you have had a good season, you have surpassed expectations. If you keep that squad together then I would not bet against you going up next year :sick:

But in the spirit of good natured rivalry, I will leave you with this

I wondered how long that would take, but it does seem that the only way we will get promoted is to get top 2. :)
Good luck in the final,I was really hoping that you would emulate our season 1982-3 and get to the final and be relegated. As you let me down with that, I hope you beat Manure and get them Mourhino next season.

View attachment 74819
I wondered how long that would take, but it does seem that the only way we will get promoted is to get top 2. :)
Good luck in the final,I was really hoping that you would emulate our season 1982-3 and get to the final and be relegated. As you let me down with that, I hope you beat Manure and get them Mourhino next season.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

I think we have a very slim chance of beating Man U to be honest. But I will enjoy the day, regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here