Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Escalating something to PayPal

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
On a positive note, i returned a jacket to Rohan for repair (Jacket's full RRP £280). The repair was carried out (cost £23) but they bungled the return address and i never received it. Couple of emails later and they admitted full liability and sent me a brand new replacement jacket free of charge.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had a run in with Paypal a couple of years ago. I bought some dog food and paid with paypal, but the retailer didn't take the money for about 6 weeks. When I saw the transaction go through I couldn't recognise it. As there was no way of getting any details I cancelled the transaction. The retailer then contacted me and I immediately paid by credit card, realising my mistake.

Paypal then wanted me to provide a whole lot of financial stuff to prove my identity, despite the fact they already had access to take moneys directly from my bank account. When there was no way to speak to a human, I started asking myself just how convenient is this? There are now so many safe ways to pay online, I have no issue with giving paypal a wide berth.

I have bought a couple of dirt cheap summer jackets off Ebay, which are shipped from China. Unbranded dirt cheap and reasonable quality. The only issue is Chinese sizing. A UK XL translates to XXXL Chinese size Ouch!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Any purchase [worldwide too I think], is covered by the The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 - click HERE

IIRC if you bought online, you have 30? days to send it back, for any reason you like, for a full refund - you'll probably have to pay the return postage unless the goods are faulty.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
My wife bought some fake Dr Martens boots from China via ebay for £38. We had a very strong suspicion they would probably be fake even though they were advertised as Dr Martens. We did some research prior to purchase and the general feedback and reviews was that even though they were fake they were still quite good quality.

My wife went ahead and purchased a pair on the strength that if they did turn out to be of poor quality she would simply complain to ebay/paypal that she had been sold fake goods.The DMs duly arrived and their quality seemed as good as she would have expected for a pair of boots. There were however tell tale signs that they were not genuine DMs such as the inscription on the soles and tongue. My wife used this as an excuse to complain to the company that they had missold her the boots as it was obvious they were fake and she provided them with photos of the anomalous inscriptions which confirmed they weren't genuine. The company offered her the same deal of keeping them for a partial refund. My wife ended up paying £18 for a pair of DM replica boots, the quality of which were probably no worse than the genuine version.

I know that the quality of genuine DMs has diminished since they stopped making them in the UK as I found out when I tried a pair on in the official DrMarten shop in Brighton. I was quite surprised at how thin the leather was compared to how they used to be. I don't think what my wife ended up with for £18 was any worse than what they were selling in the official shop for four times that price.

I have to say when a woman at work came in wearing DM fakes (black, eight high) a few months back I thought why would you, but they are, as you say, really decent quality and very much look the part. The only reason I knew they were fake in the first place was me complimenting her on them and her telling me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How do you know where something has come from though?

I had no idea this rubbish (although I could have had an educated guess) was from China.

Only yesterday I bought a ladder from Amazon and it turned up and written in big letters on the box MADE IN CHINA (thankfully its a millions times better quality than the storage boxes).

Thank you all for the replies on here. I'm still conflicted on what to do but going to look into the card charge back. Although I think contacting my bank at the moment might be an issue.

To be fair you wouldn't.

I guess my badly made point is that the country that has all but stopped the world needs to take responsibility. I'd also read a report that one of the nurses who alerted the whistle blower doctor to the disease has "disappeared". It would be nice if a place like that wasn't regarded as the world's factory when all of this is done but, as you say, not sure how that'd work.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Best advice is never ever use PayPal or eBay to buy anything. Their claims of buyer protection bullshit and in regards to PayPal you lose all normal chargeback/section 75 protection that would allow you to reclaim all funds in cases like this.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Personally I have found returning goods via e bay much easier than amazon although I recognise the op didn’t but via e bay.

What I would say is if you see a well known branded item of clothing at what looks like a cheap price and the seller is from China or India , you have about a 99.9% chance its a fake. May be a good fake but a fake nevertheless. If it’s too cheap to be true there is usually a catch ! Use your common sense ....

I’ve even seen fake Rolex watches from China that are very difficult to tell apart from a real Rolex, until you open up the case and inspect the mechanism.

Sadly some of the faked movements are so good that is not always a reliable test these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here