Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Bristow having a mare...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He said something stupid whilst pissed up the way some of you lot are going on you'd think he was the perpetrator of the bloody crimes.

EDIT
********have now seen the comments about footballers not being real men etc , the blokes an idiot for saying that don't agree at all , very stupid thing to say********

I'm sure you understand the attitude that Bristow is representing has real life effects on survivors of child abuse and those currently being abused.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I tend to agree as we live in a seriously pampered society of weak people who have very little will power mentally.Of course you get people who have really been abused badly and being young it can certainly affect your life if it's not addressed properly.The big problem is people who barely got touched who jump on the bandwagon looking for sympathy and possibly compensation.

I can see why a lot if this is happening as I remember a couple of close family friends who were very dodgy and brought me sweets as we were in his house etc and it's only when you get older that you realise how bloody wrong things were.

Saying that the people who got really sexually abused physically have my deepest sympathies although I'd suspect these ones are few and far between.Look at some of the people who came out about jimmy saville....really not much to worry about for most and they make out it's life changing....load of crap :facepalm:

Eric, may I be the first to say what an honour it is to have a 5 time world champion on these humble boards. Forget all this rubbish from the leftards on here, it's just political correctness gone mad.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I grew up watching football on Sky, at that point he was THE standard. And if we're all being honest, nobody has come close to him since.

I'm being completely honest. I don't know anyone who liked him at all. The standard of what? Being a c***?

All my mates saw him for the snidey, smug, stealing a living, know nothing about football prick that he was and were happy when he got sacked.

Each to their own though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Putting to one side for a moment, whether he is an abhorrent man, misunderstood or just a mistaken drunken tweet, have we come to the point where there is absolutely no room for individual opinions, beyond TV networks demanding it from their employees, which is slightly another matter.

It seems to me even if I cared about celeberity that I quite like hearing the real opinion, even if I disagree or find it quite bewildering, I am rarely offended.

Bristow is an ex champion dart player, historically relevent one too, no more really, even with the weight of this issue I am quite glad not everyone blurts out the normal sanctimonious drivel that they know is demanded even if they hold a totally different view.

I know. You can't even victim blame survivors of child sexual abuse any more. Nanny state bullshit.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Because Bristow is an ex-sportsman and thus a minor celeb he has a greater reach in who his tweets connect with and thus his views are more likely to spread a lot quicker than any you or I would send. A prime example of not thinking before you air you views in cyber space.

But in someways this is my point, away from the Bristow comments this is what it has come down to, every minor celebrity and no doubt us too will now have a forced current worldview on how the must react to certain things, if we dont then we can quickly expect condemnation.

Personally I am not surprised Bristow has received this flack, he will no doubt be bankrupt within a year or two and we would of forgotten this moment and moved on to someone elses misguided effort to write words too late at night.

Its a clumsey attempt to show his sport is tougher than others and how he feels he would personally like to deal with any prospective abuser and would expect others to do the same, he certainly picked the wrong issue at the wrong time and muddled it up even more with using the 'poof' and 'wimp' words, always going to struggle to survive after this.

Whilst we are in condemnation mood, I havent too much time for the 'outraged' media that I susepct are not given those victims and their families much peace and rest at present, so dont side with the devil too soon, they will own the victims till they are finished with them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
But in someways this is my point, away from the Bristow comments this is what it has come down to, every minor celebrity and no doubt us too will now have a forced current worldview on how the must react to certain things, if we dont then we can quickly expect condemnation.

Personally I am not surprised Bristow has received this flack, he will no doubt be bankrupt within a year or two and we would of forgotten this moment and moved on to someone elses misguided effort to write words too late at night.

Its a clumsey attempt to show his sport is tougher than others and how he feels he would personally like to deal with any prospective abuser and would expect others to do the same, he certainly picked the wrong issue at the wrong time and muddled it up even more with using the 'poof' and 'wimp' words, always going to struggle to survive after this.

Whilst we are in condemnation mood, I havent too much time for the 'outraged' media that I susepct are not given those victims and their families much peace and rest at present, so dont side with the devil too soon, they will own the victims till they are finished with them.

This has always been the case though. Let's go back to the early 90's, before the internet. If someone had been standing on a soapbox in a town centre spouting off about how the victims of child abuse should be "more manly" there'd have been outcry then as well and a soapbox, when you strip it back to its raw purpose, is all that Twitter is.

People have always held these views its just now there's a massively public facing platform on which to air them. It's exactly why young footballers are given social media training, why companies have entire sections in contracts about how you use social media.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Well, that or you get elected president of the United States.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Has it occurred to you why it might take the victims of child abuse, decades to speak out?

During which time hundreds, possibly thousands more children were abused by the same people. If you think there's nothing wrong with Bristow's comments then you are on the side of the abuser.

Are you on the side of the abuser?

I don't trunk Eric said the victims were at fault, or that he was on the side of the abuser. All he said was that if it was him, he'd have done something about it when he was big enough to do so.

I'm with Eric on that one

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't trunk Eric said the victims were at fault, or that he was on the side of the abuser. All he said was that if it was him, he'd have done something about it when he was big enough to do so.

I'm with Eric on that one

No. He said that people who didn't were 'wimps.'

Are you with Eric on that one?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No. He's on his own there. But he's entitled to his own opinion - as is everyone. We don't all have to be sheep herded by the thought police / shepherd

Of course he's entitled to his own opinion. When it's vile, people are allowed to tell him so.

As far as I can see that's what has happened. I don't get the people trying to turn this into a freedom of speech thing. He has quite rightly been castigated for saying a reprehensible thing, which, assessing the anecdotal evidence, appears to be very much in keeping with his normal behaviour.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Of course he's entitled to his own opinion. When it's vile, people are allowed to tell him so.

As far as I can see that's what has happened. I don't get the people trying to turn this into a freedom of speech thing. He has quite rightly been castigated for saying a reprehensible thing, which, assessing the anecdotal evidence, appears to be very much in keeping with his normal behaviour.

In your opinion. Everyone has their own moral. compass & version of the truth & law.

Each to their own. It doesn't affect me, so I'm happy with all sides of the argument, but continually haranguing people for saying something outlandish or wrong (he has apologised - who knows if he meant it) is just as reprehensible in my book

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's not 'old school' to have no empathy with survivors of child sexual abuse. It's callous.

Yeah, perhaps social media can make a mountain out of a molehill sometimes but this isn't 'political correctness gone mad,' it's totally vile. Nobody forced Bristow to put it out there, he could have saved it for an extremely ill advised pub conversation. He deserves everything he gets.

It's rubbish like this that makes victims of CSA fearful to speak out. Or is that what you want - for victims of child sexual abuse to shut up and take it like a man?

Maybe you should read all of someones contributions before you start making judgments like that mate....

W.C says....

Quote Originally Posted by W.C. View Post
It's bizarre. I'm not in to twitter pitch fork wielding but I can't see any defence for what he said. We had a thread on here about the abuse story. People spoke of the victim's bravery in coming forward. Up pops Eric to demonstrate one of the many reasons they have to be so brave in coming forward. The dick.

I replied.....
Absolutely agree. Victims carry the guilt and pain of this type of abuse, in many cases, to their grave, with the perp never being found out. To see grown men weep through the relief of being able to finally rid themselves of all the guilt and shame is an example to any young person hiding in fear. Eric has just underlined why kids feel they can't speak out, old school 'give em a dig ya nancy' does not work when you are a kid. If the example of footballers talking about it inspires one young kid to reach out for help then some good may come from this. I would like to see the media focus on that rather than roasting Eric.

I think you'll find it on page 9 of this thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe you should read all of someones contributions before you start making judgments like that mate....

W.C says....

It's bizarre. I'm not in to twitter pitch fork wielding but I can't see any defence for what he said. We had a thread on here about the abuse story. People spoke of the victim's bravery in coming forward. Up pops Eric to demonstrate one of the many reasons they have to be so brave in coming forward. The dick.

I replied.....
Absolutely agree. Victims carry the guilt and pain of this type of abuse, in many cases, to their grave, with the perp never being found out. To see grown men weep through the relief of being able to finally rid themselves of all the guilt and shame is an example to any young person hiding in fear. Eric has just underlined why kids feel they can't speak out, old school 'give em a dig ya nancy' does not work when you are a kid. If the example of footballers talking about it inspires one young kid to reach out for help then some good may come from this. I would like to see the media focus on that rather than roasting Eric.

Eric was roasted? He should stop being a wimp and give the perpetrators a slap........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It certainly wasnt very nice but in the main scheme of things, whether a ex dart champion's boorish, inarticulate call to arms to go and 'sort out' the perpertrator of the abuse whilst accepting the inappropriate 'wimp' jibe, beyond those that really care whether Bristow is worthy of a wage or their adulation I cannot see why there is so much coverage or the associated condemnation by those that cannot really know what he is genuinely like.

Hmmmmmmm. There's quite a few things you "cannot see." :lolol:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, not necessarily on this particular issue, but it seems there is a general social consensus that only allow certain reactions to certain things and anything outside of its current remit is deemed unworthy, offensive and offers an immediate personal and financial sanctions to those that might have uttered views contrary to that.

Outside of this particular issue, can you think of another specific example of personal and financial sanctions resulting from people airing views against the status quo, where you feel that person/ those people has got the thin end of the wedge?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

W.C says....

I replied.....

I'm not sure what you are trying to illustrate to me.

The media are focusing on the cases. They are also focusing on what Bristow said, as they should. It is possible to have the two strands of the story running in parallel. I'm not sure anyone on this thread has said "Can we stop focusing on these individual stories of child sexual abuse whilst we all pile in on Bristow."

You may personally find it uncomfortable but Bristow represents exactly the kind of attitudes that make it possible for perpetrators of child sexual abuse to get away with it. He may not have meant it to come out in quite the way it did but his views are there. It is right that those views are examined, which in turn will hopefully give more people the courage to speak up about child sexual abuse that is happening now.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'm not sure what you are trying to illustrate to me.

The media are focusing on the cases. They are also focusing on what Bristow said, as they should. It is possible to have the two strands of the story running in parallel. I'm not sure anyone on this thread has said "Can we stop focusing on these individual stories of child sexual abuse whilst we all pile in on Bristow."

You may personally find it uncomfortable but Bristow represents exactly the kind of attitudes that make it possible for perpetrators of child sexual abuse to get away with it. He may not have meant it to come out in quite the way it did but his views are there. It is right that those views are examined, which in turn will hopefully give more people the courage to speak up about child sexual abuse that is happening now.

Just read it. We are saying the same thing.:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here