Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EPL

It doesn't mean anything, some idiots, the ones who believe football was invented in 92 mainly, use it to describe the English Premier League when there is no such thing as the English Premier League, it's just the Premier League.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
It refers to 'Electric Power Lines', a 'hip' term used by professional footballers when discussing certain modes of public transports, e.g; trains, trams etc.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As mentioned, English Premier League. Very popular term amongst Aussie/American/NZ or just general non-footballing folk.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, FBI, CIA, NRA, ABC, CBS etc. I don't think Americans would get it if it didn't have 3 initials.

Oh deary me. :ffsparr:

It is a leading question as I already know the answer!

Just wanted to know why people like to change the name of sporting competitions to pander to people who know little about the particular sporting competition. Another pet hate of mine is people calling the golfing tournament The Open: the British Open.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
It doesn't mean anything, some idiots, the ones who believe football was invented in 92 mainly, use it to describe the English Premier League when there is no such thing as the English Premier League, it's just the Premier League.

It should be called the Barclays Premier League, since they are currently paying for the naming rights. However, I think outside of England, is it referred to the EPL to separate it from the SPL? I don't know, just wondering?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Shouldn't actually be the BPL!! For those pedents amongst you, calling it the English Premier League merely differentiates from other premier leagues, such as the jocks. Why get hung up about it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It should be called the Barclays Premier League, since they are currently paying for the naming rights. However, I think outside of England, is it referred to the EPL to separate it from the SPL? I don't know, just wondering?

Damn, 2 minutes too late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here