Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve been reading a lot of threads mentioning how much inbound cash we have received in the last few seasons and it got me thinking about Enock.
Genuine question… with all players insured these days, would the club have received a lump sum insurance payout when this poor chap had to retire? we did after all have to pay a decent fee for him
“With all players insured these days” - where did you get that from? The player might be insured for loss of earnings but even if the club/insurers could agree a player value the premiums would be astronomic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
“With all players insured these days” - where did you get that from? The player might be insured for loss of earnings but even if the club/insurers could agree a player value the premiums would be astronomic.
Players are insured for a career ending injury with the PFA. It used to be the case they weren’t insured for illnesses as John Piercy found out when he had to retire with Crohn’s disease. A friend came across him in Eastbourne and he was quite bitter about it.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Any search engine shows this to be the case… clubs will cover players as they are an asset of the clubs whilst under contract.
Messi had his left leg insured for £750 million apparently

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Players are insured for a career ending injury with the PFA. It used to be the case they weren’t insured for illnesses as John Piercy found out when he had to retire with Crohn’s disease. A friend came across him in Eastbourne and he was quite bitter about it.
He has been a teacher there at a school for many years (where my niece also now teaches, as it happens).

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I’m an insurance broker and I’ve seen some of the policies in place for professionals in all walks of life including sports. Can’t say for the club themselves but I’d be highly surprised if there isn’t insurance on their most valuable assets. Stands to reason Lloyds of London will have someone willing to underwrite a football club. I’ve insured amateur and semi professional ones myself but obviously much lighter risk than a club like Brighton.

For players, yes, they can insure themselves for varying things. And yes, the premiums are astronomical.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He has been a teacher there at a school for many years (where my niece also now teaches, as it happens).
I’d ask him how his pulse is everyday if I were her… 😀

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m an insurance broker and I’ve seen some of the policies in place for professionals in all walks of life including sports. Can’t say for the club themselves but I’d be highly surprised if there isn’t insurance on their most valuable assets. Stands to reason Lloyds of London will have someone willing to underwrite a football club. I’ve insured amateur and semi professional ones myself but obviously much lighter risk than a club like Brighton.

For players, yes, they can insure themselves for varying things. And yes, the premiums are astronomical.
I can understand a player insuring himself for loss of earnings as a result of injury but I find it much harder to work out how a club could insure it’s players (assets) against loss of value as a result of injury, illness or other career ending issue.
For example how would an underwriter value Calceido? £100m today, £120m after his first hat trick, or £80m per Chelsea? For how long?
The insurances we read about such as Messi’s left leg, etc are, I assume more likely to be taken out by the player to cover loss of earnings.
Just guessing……

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any search engine shows this to be the case… clubs will cover players as they are an asset of the clubs whilst under contract.
Messi had his left leg insured for £750 million apparently
He was quite attached to it was he ?

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I can understand a player insuring himself for loss of earnings as a result of injury but I find it much harder to work out how a club could insure it’s players (assets) against loss of value as a result of injury, illness or other career ending issue.
For example how would an underwriter value Calceido? £100m today, £120m after his first hat trick, or £80m per Chelsea? For how long?
The insurances we read about such as Messi’s left leg, etc are, I assume more likely to be taken out by the player to cover loss of earnings.
Just guessing……
Most likely it will be an “agreed value” policy. This is where the client (the club/player) go to market to insure X.
if we consider Caicedo in this scenario, Caicedo himself will likely have an enhanced ”personal accident policy” which any Tom, Dick or Harry can get. This kicks in pays pre agreed sums after a deferment period for the duration of the injury. Also highly likely to have private medical insurance.
The club will propose insuring Caicedo based on what they think he is worth to them. For now, we can reasonably assume Caicedo is insured in excess of £100m. They will propose this to the insurers who will generate a premium based on that figure and, should something happen it can pay out accordingly. This value can be adjusted as and when needed.

There are a few ways to insure persons/medical - FMU is full medical underwriting and will cover the individual for everything regardless of previous history but full medical reports will be disclosed. This is obviously very costly but, In the case of suspected or previous conditions, the safest for the club.
‘I would suspect, most commonly used is moratorium which means any previous condition is not covered for 5 years until 2 years after a person stops receiving treatment for it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I imagine a club will get a quote to insure a player for a certain value, and pay the premium based on that. The value won't change along with market speculation, it will stay with the valuation at the start of the insured period.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Most likely it will be an “agreed value” policy. This is where the client (the club/player) go to market to insure X.
if we consider Caicedo in this scenario, Caicedo himself will likely have an enhanced ”personal accident policy” which any Tom, Dick or Harry can get. This kicks in pays pre agreed sums after a deferment period for the duration of the injury. Also highly likely to have private medical insurance.
The club will propose insuring Caicedo based on what they think he is worth to them. For now, we can reasonably assume Caicedo is insured in excess of £100m. They will propose this to the insurers who will generate a premium based on that figure and, should something happen it can pay out accordingly. This value can be adjusted as and when needed.

There are a few ways to insure persons/medical - FMU is full medical underwriting and will cover the individual for everything regardless of previous history but full medical reports will be disclosed. This is obviously very costly but, In the case of suspected or previous conditions, the safest for the club.
‘I would suspect, most commonly used is moratorium which means any previous condition is not covered for 5 years until 2 years after a person stops receiving treatment for it.
Out of curiosity, what would the premium be on a £100m pound player?

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Companies in different industries can have key person insurance. Say for example an engineering firm, the firm could have this in place to protect against a fall in profits for an employee that died that was crucial to the business. Not sure if you can also cover critical illness this way too. But I would imagine the Albion would have this covered.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yeah, in Enoch’s case, I imagine an inheritable illness would be uninsurable - I believe his father had the same condition? Injuries are obviously a different matter.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Out of curiosity, what would the premium be on a £100m pound player?
I’m afraid I honestly have no idea. That’s a beyond my scope.

I understand the mechanics but the not the actual rating strategy.

There are so many differing factors to consider (age, history, potential, location, family history, mental assessment, lifestyle choices plus many more). Noting the later, Caicedo seems less of a party animal than Bissouma. So that could be a lower rating factor but at 21, he has more latent potential than Biss so I would assume this would be a higher rating factor. But this is educated speculation.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here