Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English, Maths or Science?

Which of the three following core subjects did you enjoy the most when you were at school?

• Total voters

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
A
agreeing
albeit
Alzheimer's
atheism
B
beige
Beijing
being
C
caffeine
concierge
D
deicide
deify
deign
deindustrialize
deity
disagreeing
dreeing
dreidel
E
eight
either
F
Fahrenheit
feign
feisty
foreign
foreseeing
forfeit
freight
G
geitost
gesundheit
H
heifer
height
heinous
heir
heist
herein
I
inveigle
K
kaleidoscope
keister
L
lei
leisure
M
madeira
meiosis
N
neigh
neighbor
neighbour
neither
O
obeisance
onomatopoeia
P
peine
protein
R
reign
reignite
reimburse
rein
reindeer
reindustrialize
reinforce
reinstall
reinvest
reisolate
reissue
S
safeish
scarabaeid
schlockmeister
science
seeing
seignorial
seine
seismic
seize
sensei
sheik
skein
sleigh
sleight
sovereign
stein
surfeit
surveillance
T
their
theism
therein
V
veil
vein
W
weigh
weight
weir
weird
wherein
whereinto
X
xanthein
Z
zeitgeist
zootheism

Congratulations on your copy and paste 'exceptions' list.
:thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, I think we've established you don't see its worth.

What is your alternative?

Auto spell check and learn from it ??? or in the past use a dictionary and learn from it ???

There you go.

Now tell me why we should teach children false rules?

According to the government it is no longer worth teaching.

https://youtu.be/duqlZXiIZqA

In fact it is no longer taught according to Fry on this clip.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I use all three extensively in my chosen career, would agree that the teachers are very important as to whether you enjoy the subject.

Maths is the hardest sell to me, as I'm much more interested in words than numbers.

Seeing as so much of what I do is Chemistry and Physics based I probably now know far more about those subjects than what I was taught at A Level. Mind you some stuff (e.g.nanotechnology) didn't exist back then!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoyed English out of those subjects, couldn't stand maths.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was more interested by Science but I wasn't very good at it. Was good at English but found it boring.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I dropped Lit in the end - had to read Pride and Prejudice, Macbeth and Canterbury Tales (I did not get that far!). Not a good choice of books for a 14 year olds really.

That's a strange thing to say. I can imagine Pride and Prejudice not being a teenage boys thing but the other two are bang on for adolescent boys: one's full of violence and gore and the other about sex. That looks a really good mix for teenagers (better than the Grapes of Wrath, Macbeth and Pygmalion that I had to do).

Oh, maths for me. We didn't have science: I had to do Chemistry, Physics and Biology (and got my O Levels in them to prove it)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Back in the dim, distant, Watneys Red Barrel-fuelled 1970s, we had English Language and English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Additional Maths.

The 1970s English Language student, is todays grammar wanker

today's

Oh...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can vividly remember 'Macbeth', 'The Machine Stops' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I can't remember being at all enthused by anything I ever studied in Maths, despite studying it for three more years.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Back in the dim, distant, Watneys Red Barrel-fuelled 1970s, we had English Language and English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Additional Maths.

The 1970s English Language student, is todays grammar wanker

Come now, one should end a sentence which is neither an exclamation nor a question with a full stop. :cool:

We had all the above at O-Level but also options for History, Geology, Geography and Latin (yes Latin!).

Loved both the first two subjects and Latin helped me understand the funniest scene in the Life of Brian!

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did Maffs O'Level in the 4th Year, Eng. Lang. O' in the Nov allowing more revision space in the summer. The AO' Level Maffs was a good challenge.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Maths can **** off. Tedious, cheese-paring, fiddly, unimaginative, do-it-by-the-rulebook drywank for people with no imagination, soul or friends.

Literature is the stuff of dreams, spirit and imagination - the only thing that makes the universe intelligible and the human condition bearable. If you want to soar like a star seagull - it's English. If you want to creep, sluggishly through the primordial slime like a slightly-evolved Chrystal Paliss fan then Maths is still available.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Maths can **** off. Tedious, cheese-paring, fiddly, unimaginative, do-it-by-the-rulebook drywank for people with no imagination, soul or friends.

Literature is the stuff of dreams, spirit and imagination - the only thing that makes the universe intelligible and the human condition bearable. If you want to soar like a star seagull - it's English. If you want to creep, sluggishly through the primordial slime like a slightly-evolved Chrystal Paliss fan then Maths is still available.

Can't wait to hear your opinion of Science!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here