Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English girl Heather Watson against Mr Williams

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well, it might just matter to her. She may just happen to be proud to be from Guernsey. She has never lived in England as far as I know. And I'm sure it matters to her friends and supporters back on Guernsey.

A valid point, though for the intents of a discussion on NSC regarding her Wimbledon performance it probably isn't worth arguing over as the only person who can confirm it, either way, would be her.

As that's probably unlikely, and offence being caused is also probably not a likely outcome, just let it go?

Edit; Unless of course you are one of her friends or family, in which case go nuts.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think we saw why she will never be a top player.
Should have won that, bottled it.
I'd say it was the opposite, the performance she put in against arguably the best female tennis player of all time was enough to indicate that she's got a bright future.

Many better and more accomplished players have been steamrollered by her, so to take her that close...well, it's impressive.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
A valid point, though for the intents of a discussion on NSC regarding her Wimbledon performance it probably isn't worth arguing over as the only person who can confirm it, either way, would be her.

As that's probably unlikely, and offence being caused is also probably not a likely outcome, just let it go?

Edit; Unless of course you are one of her friends or family, in which case go nuts.

I'm not commenting on the discussion of her performance, I was referring to the thread title, which implied the nationality was indeed important enough to mention.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I'm not commenting on the discussion of her performance, I was referring to the thread title, which implied the nationality was indeed important enough to mention.

Remember that decade when you stopped posting on here Juan. Wasn't your blood pressure just that little bit lower? #NSC Kills

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd say it was the opposite, the performance she put in against arguably the best female tennis player of all time was enough to indicate that she's got a bright future.

Many better and more accomplished players have been steamrollered by her, so to take her that close...well, it's impressive.

This deserves a This.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I don't know about anyone else but just had the feeling when Heather didn't secure a 4-0 lead in the third set (on serve), it was ultimately curtains. But she put up a hell of a fight!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know about anyone else but just had the feeling when Heather didn't secure a 4-0 lead in the third set (on serve), it was ultimately curtains. But she put up a hell of a fight!

Absolutely right, she had points for 4-0 after breaking Serena twice in the decider. And then was 40-0 up at 3-2 up but ended up being 4-3 down, both crucial points - but there had been so many good moments to get in that position in the first place it is harsh if inevitable to focus on those ones. Said to my wife at 3-0 whoever wins the next game wins the match.

Was lucky enough to be on Centre Court today, and I strongly suspect that in her entire career at Wimbledon and for all her titles there and big wins against better opponents, Serena has never played in an atmosphere like that. There was always a chance it would rattle her, and it clearly did.

A lot of the Wimbledon norms went out of the window for a player that is greatly respected, but not loved. It actually tells you on tickets/instructions that you are not allowed to cheer when a player double faults. The crowd went nuts at least twice when double faults handed Watson breaks of serve.

And Serena was loudly booed at least twice in the decider. The first time was unfair because a member of the crowd called 'out' during a rally when the ball was in, and she was simply asking the umpire to stamp it out which was fair enough. But the second time was fully deserved when she turned her back on Watson and kept her waiting much too long on a match point. Noticeably on the second match point, she didn't do it.

I always thought Watson was a bit overrated but she proved me wrong today, played probably the match of her life on the biggest stage against the best player, and was within a whisker of winning.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Unfortunately, if she beats Serena, she'll have to face Venus in the next round.

Venus in the 4th round (well the Venus of today) isn't a bad draw at all for anyone. She's been nowhere near the player she was for some years...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here