England's centre back pairing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This is the first time ever in my life I have been accused of exaggeration!

In being constructive however, clearly playing JT will mean it would be difficult to pick Rio. Rio is having a terrible time staying fit, and it would be a surprise if he makes it to the end of the season injury free.

Terry's biggest weakness now (which has been highlighted a few times this season, most notably by Arsenal) is his lack of pace on the turn, and as with the Germany game, he seems unable to keep in proximity to his other centre half. The same thing happened with Upson as is happening with Luiz, either he is not talking, or he's not realising that he's leaving gaps oil tankers could manoeuvre through. As the senior player, the positioning of the defence is really down to him if he is the leader he is meant to be.

If Ferdinand is fit, and has played the majority of the run-in, I think you would have to pick him as his liability to f*** up is no more or less than Terry himself. I don't think Jones or Smalling are ready for a major tournament at CB, but I'd take one or both as they are versatile can both do a really good job at FB, or in Jones' case midfield.

That would leave me with Cahill at CB who I think out of Jagielka, Dawson and Lescott is the best of that bunch, but he would definitely need a long run in the Chelsea team, especially in the CL to prove that assumption and drop your initial comment about him being in the worse defence in the league.

So, really, I'm saying there are a lot of if's and but's before the squad is announced, but I'd be thinking Rio - Cahill right now.

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that Ferdinand has been nothing short of woeful so far this season. I honestly think he needs to be discounted completely

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Lescott has really impressed me this year, so he's in for the running. I like cahill and when he's played previous for England he's performed well. Also Micah Richards, even though he's a right back, he has played CB for city a few times.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't think anyone can question JT's commitment to the England cause, always gives 100%, but I think he is looking iffy at CB now.

His problems at Chelsea started when Carvalho was sold as he had the pace to help out with JT's weaknesses. I feel for anyone who has to play alongside David Luiz as they have to do double the amount of defending.

Personally I would have a back 5 of
Hart
M Richards
Lescott
Cahill
A Cole.

Solid and will support down the wings. Plus only drawn from 2 clubs so will have an understanding once Cahill plays a few more games.

bhaEB7

Mar 9, 2011
Hart,
Walker, King/Jagielka, Jones, Cole
Milner, Parker, Gerrard, Young,
Rooney
Bent

Close but it should be

Hart
Walker king jones baines
parker barry lampard
A johnson bent rooney

Defensive 451 attacking 442

Subs
Green
Richards
Downing
Ferdinand
Gerrard
Young
Sturridge or welbeck or defoe

As well its difficult so give reasons for terry to be in the squad especially as he was racist how can we expect king and rio to wanna play with him not to mention other players in the squad like bent or young , we need to get rid of all the wankers in the squad.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A bit harsh there I think. Terry doesn't make any obvious mistakes other than being a bit slow. He reads the game so well too; a facet of his game that goes largely unnoticed.

If you've seen many Chelsea games this year, he's been responsible for a number of goals. He is not the player he was.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you've seen many Chelsea games this year, he's been responsible for a number of goals. He is not the player he was.

I reckon if you watched some of the goals you mention, a certain David Luiz is probably nowhere to be seen, which makes Terry look worse when having to cover two strikers or similar.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Lescott has really impressed me this year, so he's in for the running. I like cahill and when he's played previous for England he's performed well. Also Micah Richards, even though he's a right back, he has played CB for city a few times.

Agree that Richards' best position will probably end up being CB.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I reckon if you watched some of the goals you mention, a certain David Luiz is probably nowhere to be seen, which makes Terry look worse when having to cover two strikers or similar.

Yep.

D

Deleted member 18477

hart

richards - smalling - lescott - a.cole

parker - gerrard (c) - wilshere

walcott/sturridge - rooney - chamberlain/welbeck

its ALL about direct DANGEROUS players. f*** milner & barry. they bore the crap out of me. and they both played when germany SPANKED us! whats the point in playing the same way again!

bhaEB7

Mar 9, 2011
Agree that Richards' best position will probably end up being CB.

Hate to say it cause I love micah richards but he is not a centre back he's strong and very quick but isn't the best tackler in the world his best atrributes represent a wing back not a centre half.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Jamie Carragher :moo:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Certainly Luiz is a loose cannon in that role, but the one that springs to mind (can't remember the game, but wasn't long ago), where JT was not far short of the half-way line when the ball was put over the top, and the strike easily beat JT to it, ran the length and scored, whilst JT just fell over after he realised he wasn't getting there. Firstly his positioning was terrible and because he's slow slow he couldn't make up for his mistake. He does still score some though, from coners.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Certainly Luiz is a loose cannon in that role, but the one that springs to mind (can't remember the game, but wasn't long ago), where JT was not far short of the half-way line when the ball was put over the top, and the strike easily beat JT to it, ran the length and scored, whilst JT just fell over after he realised he wasn't getting there. Firstly his positioning was terrible and because he's slow slow he couldn't make up for his mistake. He does still score some though, from coners.

That was Van Persie, no? And fair dos, he wasn't quick enough. Worth bearing in mind Van Persie is one of the top 3 strikers in the World though.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That was Van Persie, no? And fair dos, he wasn't quick enough. Worth bearing in mind Van Persie is one of the top 3 strikers in the World though.

Ah, yes, I think you're right. But my point wasn't really about his speed, we all know he's slow, but his initial positioning.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah, yes, I think you're right. But my point wasn't really about his speed, we all know he's slow, but his initial positioning.

I'm genuinely not trying to defend Terry no matter what (as it may suddenly seem) but is it not Villas-Boas' tactic to play a high defensive line, which has clearly cost them dear?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm genuinely not trying to defend Terry no matter what (as it may suddenly seem) but is it not Villas-Boas' tactic to play a high defensive line, which has clearly cost them dear?

Certainly they are a worse team than last year, AVB would be one reason for that, the gereral aging of the senior players would be another. We're not really getting any where are we, I'll leave his one for now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that Ferdinand has been nothing short of woeful so far this season. I honestly think he needs to be discounted completely

No, but he's had a lot of injuries which I did state, and he is taking longer each time to get match fit and get his form back. That said, he doesn't deserve a place unless he shows some consistency between now and the end of the season.

The same has to be said of Terry as well though. Whereas as Rio has had injuries, and played with Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evans and Carrick at CB this season, Terry has been in a settled back four with a solid keeper behind him, and up until recently pretty much injury free, and yet not really shown any great form himself.

I'd be seriously tempted to leave them both at home though if push came to shove, and take a young fresh looking England side out there.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It is interesting how we seem to have problem positions for the national side at different times. 10 years ago we had so many stars but not for the formation we played. Rooney often on his own and no left sided midfielder, but 6 or so centre backs and loads of decent keepers.

Now 1 great keeper than a big jump. A defence full of either pacey youngsters or slow old farts none of which are overly solid, midfielders who can pass sideways or run for 90 minutes but nobody to play the killer ball.

Our best position seems to be upfront with Rooney, Kane and Sturridge

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It is interesting how we seem to have problem positions for the national side at different times. 10 years ago we had so many stars but not for the formation we played. Rooney often on his own and no left sided midfielder, but 6 or so centre backs and loads of decent keepers.

Now 1 great keeper than a big jump. A defence full of either pacey youngsters or slow old farts none of which are overly solid, midfielders who can pass sideways or run for 90 minutes but nobody to play the killer ball.

Our best position seems to be upfront with Rooney, Kane and Sturridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports