Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England World Cup Squad

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
An utterly conservative selection of players who he's relied heavily on in the past, quite a few of whom are past their best. Who'd have thought?

Kalvin Phillips' last full ninety minutes was in England's 4-0 loss to Hungary. His only full ninety minutes since the end of May. Henderson has managed 90 minutes in only three games this season. They are both selected because Southgate will be continuing to play the double pivot of unambitious central midfield workhorses that has caused the goal drought. A more ambitious coach would pick Foden to partner Rice. He is naturally a central midfielder who plays on the left or right for City because they have De Bruyne and Silva in the centre. England don't. However, Southgate needs his own Fred and McTominay for the same reason that Man U persisted with it for far too long: The need to provide cover for the positionally lacking Maguire. Ten Hag has resolved the problem with the most obvious solution: replace Maguire. Southgate won't, so we will continue to rely on less talented, less creative, but more conservative midfielders.

Imagine how exciting England could be playing similarly to how De Zerbi sets up. Two reliably solid ball playing, but aerially dominant centre halves (Perm any two from about eight) with TAA & Trippier (or, when fit James and Chillwell) either side of them, Foden and Rice in the Mac Allister and Caicedo roles and any three of Maddison, Saka, Grealish, Mount, Gallagher, Sterling, Rashford etc. playing behind Kane.opinions should really be nuanced
An utterly conservative selection of players who he's relied heavily on in the past, quite a few of whom are past their best. Who'd have thought?

Kalvin Phillips' last full ninety minutes was in England's 4-0 loss to Hungary. His only full ninety minutes since the end of May. Henderson has managed 90 minutes in only three games this season. They are both selected because Southgate will be continuing to play the double pivot of unambitious central midfield workhorses that has caused the goal drought. A more ambitious coach would pick Foden to partner Rice. He is naturally a central midfielder who plays on the left or right for City because they have De Bruyne and Silva in the centre. England don't. However, Southgate needs his own Fred and McTominay for the same reason that Man U persisted with it for far too long: The need to provide cover for the positionally lacking Maguire. Ten Hag has resolved the problem with the most obvious solution: replace Maguire. Southgate won't, so we will continue to rely on less talented, less creative, but more conservative midfielders.

Imagine how exciting England could be playing similarly to how De Zerbi sets up. Two reliably solid ball playing, but aerially dominant centre halves (Perm any two from about eight) with TAA & Trippier (or, when fit James and Chillwell) either side of them, Foden and Rice in the Mac Allister and Caicedo roles and any three of Maddison, Saka, Grealish, Mount, Gallagher, Sterling, Rashford etc. playing behind Kane.
Football opinions need a bit of nuance. While I agree with everything you’ve posted, ultimately tournament football (and all professional football) is about results. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing the Girl Guides or Brazil, you need to win to progress. Southgate may be predictable but he had the best World Cup since 1990 and the best Euros ever as an England coach. Fact.

He’s the antithesis of how I felt about early Potter. For all the football was nice, the results were the same overall and worse at home, followed by the same dull platitudes week after week,

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Even though I'm not going to watch it, that does not entitle the waistcoatwanker to evolve from Johnson to Truss in his management.

The useless kunnt.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The squad needs balance. If Rice gets injured Phillips can cover that position

Then there is no need for Henderson.

The squad isn’t balanced at all

We have Mount/Maddison/Grealish/Foden/Gallagher who are all the same type

Minus white All the CB are older with no real pace, White wouldn’t have been in the squad if James was fit.

No Plan B striker - Tammy/Toney

It’s a joke selection

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Then there is no need for Henderson.

The squad isn’t balanced at all

We have Mount/Maddison/Grealish/Foden/Gallagher who are all the same type

Minus white All the CB are older with no real pace, White wouldn’t have been in the squad if James was fit.

No Plan B striker - Tammy/Toney

It’s a joke selection
In Maguire, Henderson and Phillips - that is 3 players who don't play regularly for their clubs, Philips has barely kicked a ball.

He's got Rice, Bellingham, Henderson and Phillips who really should only be covering 1 spot truth be told. Man City only play a holding midfield player because the full backs basically are wingers. We don't even play any - MacA would be as comfortable playing as a 10 as he is in front of the defence.

I disagree with you a bit on Mason Mount, think he is a genuine midfield player at international level, maybe the only one of that group you listed. I'd happily put him next to Rice instead of Henderson or Phillips.

Plan B striker - he's named Callum Wilson and Marcus Rashford; that is 2 alternative no.9s who have been doing that regularly this season. That said, Toney for say Henderson or Phillips gives him that extra attacking option.

What's apparent now is that Southgate will play the same football he did in the last 2 tournaments. No evolution of tactics or approach. Pretty easy research for opponents.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
In Maguire, Henderson and Phillips - that is 3 players who don't play regularly for their clubs, Philips has barely kicked a ball.

He's got Rice, Bellingham, Henderson and Phillips who really should only be covering 1 spot truth be told. Man City only play a holding midfield player because the full backs basically are wingers. We don't even play any - MacA would be as comfortable playing as a 10 as he is in front of the defence.

I disagree with you a bit on Mason Mount, think he is a genuine midfield player at international level, maybe the only one of that group you listed. I'd happily put him next to Rice instead of Henderson or Phillips.

Plan B striker - he's named Callum Wilson and Marcus Rashford; that is 2 alternative no.9s who have been doing that regularly this season. That said, Toney for say Henderson or Phillips gives him that extra attacking option.

What's apparent now is that Southgate will play the same football he did in the last 2 tournaments. No evolution of tactics or approach. Pretty easy research for opponents.
don't other nations tend to play the same way, for example Spain? You can probably guess they will play a slow, possesion game, as they always do. They will play to their strengths and what the players are accustomed to

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm pretty happy with the squad. There are no world class players in it but then we don't have any world class players at the momnent. Yes we look weak at the back, which is unfortunate as it means we will play with two defensive midfilders but overall I think he's picked the best he could. Tomey would have been in my squad but I don't know what relevations are about to come out about him and perhaps The FA do.

Despite two very good tournaments, people on here are not going to change their mind on Southgate.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone watch the Man U v Villa game last night? I watched the second half (the one with the goals) and Maguire was awful. Gave the ball away numerous times. A real liability. If Southgate was watching he must have broken into a cold sweat!!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Did anyone watch the Man U v Villa game last night? I watched the second half (the one with the goals) and Maguire was awful. Gave the ball away numerous times. A real liability. If Southgate was watching he must have broken into a cold sweat!!
who is playing well at Man Utd? They're not getting the best out of him, whenever he pulls the England shirt on he's been world class

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here