Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England world cup boycott on 2018 / 22, anyone up for it?

England World Cup Boycott?

• Stupid idea it will do nothing but damage us?

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • We may as well, FIFA can stick it

Votes: 105 78.4%

• Total voters

Jameson

Definitely boycott 2022. Probably best not to piss off the Russians though.

I think we should set up a "friendly tournament" in the summer of 2022 and invite other nations to participate as an alternative world cup. We could probably count on those who do not qualify but others who don't have much of a chance and don't want their league season decimated might join in.

And the Amex for a group stage match or two, too!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe that's what they should have done. But the whole thing is so f***ed up. Lord Triesman has been attacked in the report for not co-operating with the inquiry. But he was being SUED FOR LIBEL at the time by one of the Fifa Exco after highlighting some of his more outrageous demands in the bidding process. That case came to nothing, funnily enough. But why would you deal with people who were (wrongly) suing you?

Indeed, obviously he could not talk to them as the matter was in sub judice. I seem to recall that Lord Triesman was so hacked off with the blatant demands for bribes and sweeteners that he named certain FIFA officials under Parliamentary Privilege. No doubt the officials involved are already coated in teflon by this inquiry .

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Unfortunately, we'd probably get chucked out of UEFA as well so would lose any opportunity to participate in the European Championships. Then we'd lose the Champions League places for domestic teams. Then the Premier League would get involved etc etc.

Am I right in thinking that FIFA membership is not required for UEFA membership? Gibraltar is not a FIFA member but still can take part in all the UEFA competitions, so we could walk out of FIFA tomorrow and should still keep all our European spots. Of course every European Championship we would be thrown into the bottom pot as we have no FIFA ranking so we would be the lowest ranked team in the group

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Am I right in thinking that FIFA membership is not required for UEFA membership? Gibraltar is not a FIFA member but still can take part in all the UEFA competitions, so we could walk out of FIFA tomorrow and should still keep all our European spots. Of course every European Championship we would be thrown into the bottom pot as we have no FIFA ranking so we would be the lowest ranked team in the group

Cool. Let's walk then.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I've begun my own personal boycott of international football since this years WC. I know it is only just me but I now refuse to watch or support any international football and will no longer support our national team all the while FIFA remains so blatantly corrupt. The results of this supposed independent report are completely expected and in tune with FIFAs propaganda and powerful media manipulators, they are easily on a par with North Korean in that respect.

This is what happens unfortunately when an organisation that is absolutely awash with billions of dollars siphoned off from sponsors, shady governments and football associations around the world is allowed to govern itself unchecked. It is accountable to no-one and protected by the morally bankrupt Swiss government and banking system. With the vast sums of money sloshing around FIFA it shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that the sole determining factor in any World Cup bid is how much more money can grease the correct palms to get the desired result. Qatars bid was bankrolled by its enormous oil wealth and a desire to raise its profile in the Middle East and portray it a major global player, Russias was similarly funded and propped up by an equally corrupt government under Putin who wants as many showpiece events in Russia he can get his blood soaked hands on in a vast vanity project.

FIFA attacking Englands bid is just a final 'f.uck you' at the FA and done deliberately to try and mobilise opinion against England, Blatter is vehemently xenophobic towards the English and delights in proving it time and again.

If you really want to boycott something then choose FIFAS sponsors and aim your venom in their direction.

One day I hope the entire FIFA organisation will self implode and collapse but until then i am no longer taking part in their corporate terrorism.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Couldn't give a toss about what FIFA say about the FA. Anybody with a modicum of sense would have questioned the temperature in Qatar for the proposed dates AT THE BIDDING STAGE !!!!!!!!!! The fact that the fat Swiss c**t feigns surprise after shows how corrupt he and his disgusting organisation really are. Now they have a US lawyer in their pockets as well.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
If you really want to boycott something then choose FIFAS sponsors and aim your venom in their direction.

And this is the only thing that can be done, to be honest. Reduce the money supply (he says, swigging away at his can of coke).

Can't say that I'm surprised at the result of the report.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as 2018 is concerned I know Russias stance on, amongst other things, homophobia BUT it does at least have a football pedigree which is more than can be said for effing Quatar.

This could be the world cup that ends that particular tournament in its current form.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Surely, you can't seriously imagine that Blatter, Platini, their cronies or the rest of the footy world would give a poo if we didn't turn up. We would just be further labelled with being 'has been Prima Donnas'.
We are currently ranked 20th in the World below ..Algeria, Greece and Ukraine. It would be just about as meaningful as us devistating the Tennis World by pulling out of The Davis Cup. :rolleyes:

They might not care but FIFA couldn't realistically expel us, not unless they fancy taking on the Premier League

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Apparently the guy who wrote the report has basically called todays summary of the report a pile of crap. This is set to run and run.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If investigator Garcia has disowned the summary of his report today - and it appears he has, citing errors of fact and conclusion - that is a massive blow for Fifa.

Bring on the FBI investigation. And throw in a CIA Black Ops team while we're at it.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Okay so that's... astounding.

Schoolboy error from FIFA not bribing the independent reporter. Blatter out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
FIFA is an institutionally corrupt organisation, Russia and Qatar are respectively a mafia controlled country and a dictatorship.

However, I just want to watch the football, so I think England should not boycott, as despite them being a bit rubbish, it still brings a level of excitement that is great fun, if only for the piss ups and parties.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
FIFA is an institutionally corrupt organisation, Russia and Qatar are respectively a mafia controlled country and a dictatorship.

However, I just want to watch the football, so I think England should not boycott, as despite them being a bit rubbish, it still brings a level of excitement that is great fun, if only for the piss ups and parties.

I think what continues to stagger me most about Fifa is not just the fact that they're corrupt. Corruption is not a new thing, sadly it exists all over the world in all sorts of forms.

But it is the breath-taking arrogance that they will get away with it, that they think they're untouchable and above any law and norms, and the way they treat everyone like fools. Amazingly, no one is taking them down.

Somewhere, probably in Switzerland, there are people with the 'smoking gun' evidence that can f**k Fifa up for good. And they must be thinking about it, even if the motive is the selfish one of saving themselves with an amnesty.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But it is the breath-taking arrogance that they will get away with it, that they think they're untouchable and above any law and norms

That's because they are. Everyone knows they're a corrupt organisation but no-one is going to do anything about it ... and FIFA knows this too.

The only thing that could change would be a worldwide boycott of FIFA sponsors ... and that's just not going to happen

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Stupid idea imo.

It would be a bit like you boycotting the NHS because you are unhappy with how the managers run the service. It would have little impact on the NHS because they would carry on regardless but it would affect you massively as you lose the benefits you receive from it.

The only way a FIFA boycott would work is if most of the competing countries decided to boycott the World Cup, but as the chance for glory only happens once every 4 years, and there could be other drawbacks from a boycott by those taking part, it's unlikely many countries would ever consider it.

Besides, if England were to boycott it, what else would we have to give most of us a false optimism about winning a global event and the glory it would then bring to our country, only for us to fail spectacularly (again) and give us a reason to moan and complain and hunt for scapegoats over the summer after our usual early exit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here