Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England versus Honduras unofficial Match Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder how much stick Welbeck would have got if he'd missed the chances (and played in a general sense as) Sturridge has. Not been hugely impressed with Sturridge tonight.

Sturridge spends half the time doing pointless step overs and then running into a blind alley. Think Welbeck had a better game tonight, genuinely.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Sturridge spends half the time doing pointless step overs and then running into a blind alley. Think Welbeck had a better game tonight, genuinely.

I know i'm in the minority, but i do struggle to see the hype about Sturridge (but then I don't get the hype around Wilshere either) - an incredibly selfish footballer. Unfortunately, he's possibly the best we've got at the mo.

longmanofwilmington

Apr 25, 2014
I met Wilson Palacios in real life when he was playing for Spurs, he was a massive unit.

Impressed with Barclay tonight, should start instead of Rooney, otherwise leave as is.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I hate watching England, they never fail to promise more than they deliver.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Drawing against Ecuador and 10-man Honduras tell the story of why expectations are low.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder how much stick Welbeck would have got if he'd missed the chances (and played in a general sense as) Sturridge has. Not been hugely impressed with Sturridge tonight.

About as much stick as you've targeted towards Sturridge. The media made him the hero and our only quality striker after the Wembley win over Peru.

Overall, looks like there aren't many goals in this 2014 version of England - god help us if our opponents score first and we're playing catch up in the heat/humidity against any opponents who will run the clock down.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember that hence my acknowledgment that is is only a warm up match. That aside, I would have liked to have seen a bit more creativity.

Honduras are are clearly a team of cloggers. The example you make is fair but rare.

I think the heat and will be too much for us poor old fair weather centric blighters

I agree. I just thought we were lacking a bit of wizardry, maybe a Sterling. Barkley looks to have the tricks though he did give the ball away a few times. I'm still waiting for Jack Wilshere to show us why he's so highly thought of. Rooney probably isn't guaranteed his place, and quite right too.

I think we'll do really well to get out of the group, but that doesn't mean I don't like the England team a whole lot more than I generally have done in recent years. Roy seems to have got rid of a lot of the arrogant arses who were dragging the team down in the past. I'd just like to see signs that we're progressing this tournament, whether we get through the group or not. Long term gain is more important to me than short term thrills here.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I loved all the goals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hate watching England, they never fail to promise more than they deliver.

So do I, but that's got more to do with having to listen to Andy Townsend than the average fair we tend to serve up. The man is a thick idiot. I can't imagine anyone on the beeb is going to annoy me like that.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I agree. I just thought we were lacking a bit of wizardry, maybe a Sterling. Barkley looks to have the tricks though he did give the ball away a few times. I'm still waiting for Jack Wilshere to show us why he's so highly thought of. Rooney probably isn't guaranteed his place, and quite right too.

I think we'll do really well to get out of the group, but that doesn't mean I don't like the England team a whole lot more than I generally have done in recent years. Roy seems to have got rid of a lot of the arrogant arses who were dragging the team down in the past. I'd just like to see signs that we're progressing this tournament, whether we get through the group or not. Long term gain is more important to me than short term thrills here.

Totally agree. Barkley, Sterling, Lallana and Sturridge are the way forward but it all seems a bit De Ja Vu in terms of belief and flair.

I think we MAY just scrape out of the group but no more. First group result is critical in my opinion

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Just like watching Albion play the last two seasons.
You know I'm right 😈

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People will point to Sturridge's misses, but I just don't think we look anything like threatening enough when we control the ball coming forward.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Upside:
If it's prepared the team for some of the dirty tricks and physicality, it's been well worth it.
Seemingly no further injuries.
Didn't lose.

Downside:
Precious little creativity on show here, even with the delay.
Unable to unlock a poor 10 man team in the last 25 minutes.
Distinctly average fare - prepare for penalties.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
And this is why I'm failing to get excited about Englands chances for this WC. A team of pretty decent/good players but lets face it none of them are world class are they? and add in the heat and humidity and the pressure and its all set up for 3 games of toil and misery and of failing to take our chances with a probable healthy dose of poor officiating. I cant get remotely excited about this world cup, its corrupt and we are very average.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To progress in a World Cup you need to play consistently well, and great as his goal was against Peru Sturridge was poor tonight.

I think we need Barkley and Sterling starting every match - these are the game-changers that will move and stretch the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here