Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Sri Lanka - Second Test - Headingley

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Is it bad that I think it might actually benefit us to lose this? If we somehow scramble a draw then it will only paper over the cracks of a series that should have been a 2-0 win. Saying that i can't bring myself to WANT us to lose but all the same.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it bad that I think it might actually benefit us to lose this? If we somehow scramble a draw then it will only paper over the cracks of a series that should have been a 2-0 win. Saying that i can't bring myself to WANT us to lose but all the same.....

There will be no draw scrambled here. This is start the car time...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I totally disagree. Half the team are new caps - do we want them to start their England careers with the ignominy of losing a home series to Sri Lanka for the first time ever? We don't need any more cricket lessons after the 5-0 drubbing in Australia, we knew what the deficiencies were then and we know what they are now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I totally disagree. Half the team are new caps - do we want them to start their England careers with the ignominy of losing a home series to Sri Lanka for the first time ever? We don't need any more cricket lessons after the 5-0 drubbing in Australia, we knew what the deficiencies were then and we know what they are now.

This in spades.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Alistair Cook
Average over his last 20 innings - 25.9
25 innings since his last 100 (130 vs NZ, Headingley May 2013).
He took 10 months to get 6 centuries between Autumn 2010 to Summer 2011.
He has made 6 centuries since Autumn 2011 to present.

Can we have our opening bat back please? :shrug:

Not until he sorts his technique out. Boycott got it right. Cook is turning the face of the bat. Bowlers know this and he is a sucker for caught behind.
Not been the same since Strauss retired. AS was solid and gave Cook confidence. Now the captain is expecting a wicket to fal l any minute and he is a bag of nerves.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We've learned nothing from Australia. The wrong people were scapegoated, the same mistakes are being made that have been made for the last 18months. We're going through openers like Katie Price goes through husbands, our bowlers lack direction at times with a captain unable to deviate from preconceived tactics during the day, and in terms of our captain, it's a double edged sword as not only do we have a poor leader (in my opinion), his being captain has also cost us arguably the best opener in test cricket.

I don't know what's going on with this team, or what the deficiencies are. Australia reached their bottom last summer and bounced back to invincibility with an Ashes whitewash and win in South Africa.

Have we even hit our bottom yet? Are we still just in a steady decline? Not sure I agree about the cricket lessons after the 5-0, there's just no improvement in the mentality, the tactics, our approach.

Didn't you expect some bounce back at home to what is a pretty average Sri Lanka test team?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Prior gone... good catch at short leg, fending off a short one, Prasad escaped being no balled by millimeters on review... BIG CALL.

160-7 (45 overs remaining)

Stumpy Tim

Win or lose, I think there are quite a few positives for England. The younger lads (Root, Ali, Robson, Ballance) have scored runs, and both Plunkett and Jordan have showed up well. If/When Cook finds some form then we're in good shape on the batting side. We've still got Ben Stokes coming in.

The big worry for me is a lack of a genuine spinner. England have played well over the years with 3 quicks and one spinner - and we need one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Adam Riley given a chance

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
IMHO Cook has to go. Not only can he not score runs, his captaincy is very poor. He waits for thngs to happen rather than tries to make them happen.
And to lose to Sri Lanka, who if you took Jaywardene and Sangakara out of the team would be very ordinary, at the home of seam is very poor.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea on Day 5.

England 173-7

Moeen Ali 56* Chris Jordan 9*

40 overs remaining... new ball due in 3 overs time.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Only 30 sixes away from victory, and 240 balls to get them! DODDLE.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Only 30 sixes away from victory, and 240 balls to get them! DODDLE.

If I was playing Brian Lara Cricket on the PC I'd fancy myself to smash those 30 sixes in under 10 overs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm interested to see how Jordan might go against the new ball. I think he could be the best nightwatchman option we've got - he's certainly a good enough batsman to stick around but also has the talent to get on with the job in the following morning. The question is can he handle the new ball.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm interested to see how Jordan might go against the new ball. I think he could be the best nightwatchman option we've got - he's certainly a good enough batsman to stick around but also has the talent to get on with the job in the following morning. The question is can he handle the new ball.

I think you have your answer :nono:

190-8

EDIT: That one DOES look like a no ball.

Phew!

191-7

Still a shocking shot, chasing a wide one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A good test No. 8 should be averaging 20-25 and bag the odd half-century along the way, I'm almost more excited about Sussex's Jordan saving this test than I am about England vs Costa Rica.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A good test No. 8 should be averaging 20-25 and bag the odd half-century along the way, I'm almost more excited about Sussex's Jordan saving this test than I am about England vs Costa Rica.

Crikey, that's more than Cook at the moment, maybe we should ask Cook if he can bowl a bit then to justify his place ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here