Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Scotland: Do you care?

Do you care about England Vs Scotland?

• Total voters

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I absolutely hate them, up there with Palace. I've been many times including 87 and 89 and trust me if you had been to either of those you would know the meaning of rivalry. I find all this we don't care about England crap sad to be honest, still each to their own. Watch some two bob rubbish on channel four if you will and pretend you are a 'new football fan'...not for me.

Completely agree, as I've said in the past I find the stance towards the England team on here a bit embarrassing from some. I would like nothing more than to smash Scotland tonight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and sadly ,neither are England.
When you think back to the days when the fixture really meant something, was played annually and the whole nation knew the result. Finney, Edwards, Charlton, Moore, Greaves, Haynes, Banks, Shilton, Peters, Robson, Ball, Bell, Mullery, Hurst....Baxter, Henderson, Law, White, St.John, Mackay, Johnstone, McGrain, Dalglish, Souness, Gemmill.....the list is just endless. All top players. The cream of British football.
Now, we are left to rave about a player who has just reached 100 caps, earns £15m a year and can't trap a bag of cement. The rest of them are just ordinary club players as well. Its not their fault our football has been allowed to be hijacked by the rest of the world, insatiable for the riches available, indifferent to the challenge our football presents. Our young players think they are developing. They aren't. They have limited skill-sets. Dribbling is almost non-existent. Very few are truly two-footed. Most can't head the ball. Their first touch is poor and they have no idea how to control the ball in other areas ( chest/thigh etc ) They don't run off the ball. Most of them play in static positions. They don't appear to have been taught how to play on the half-turn or how to use your body with your back to goal.
The wages spiral upwards, the quality spirals downwards. No wonder fans get fed up. We are putting more and more in and getting less and less back in terms of value for money ( i.e quality )
Oh for moments like Jim Baxter at Wembley in 63, running rings round good England players. Or England running riot in 61 ( 9-3 ) playing some of the best football ever witnessed or Gazza in 96, with that glorious and gifted goal.
Days that have sadly gone and will not be recaptured.

Sorry, are you GENUINELY trying to suggest that the players you've listed above are better than modern top level footballers?

Glen Johnson has scored better goals than anyone on your list. That's GLEN JOHNSON, a very average prem player nowadays. Football is lightyears ahead of 40 years ago. Ronaldo and Messi can do things that no one could dream of even 15-20 years ago, let alone 30 or 40!!

Someone posted Hungary v England from the 50s a while back (I think it was) and I couldn't stop laughing at any point, the football was utterly shocking. Would be below League Two standard nowadays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, are you GENUINELY trying to suggest that the players you've listed above are better than modern top level footballers?

Glen Johnson has scored better goals than anyone on your list. That's GLEN JOHNSON, a very average prem player nowadays. Football is lightyears ahead of 40 years ago. Ronaldo and Messi can do things that no one could dream of even 15-20 years ago, let alone 30 or 40!!

Someone posted Hungary v England from the 50s a while back (I think it was) and I couldn't stop laughing at any point, the football was utterly shocking. Would be below League Two standard nowadays.

Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
will be a bit tasty on and off the pitch, anyone going up for a bit of Scottish culture won't miss out, i would expect some of the gers casual's to be backing England on the day
regards
DR

There were England chants at rangers Falkirk last weekend.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

This.

The 66 World Cup final is also laughable.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I find the fact that it is a friendly and the scotch will treat it like the world cup final and celebrate for months if they win quite pathetic.
If I was an England player I would not want lumps kicked out of me and risk an injury all for the sake of a meaningless game.
I will watch it of course as it will probably be fun but I wish it was a qualifier then it would be must watch stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This.

The 66 World Cup final is also laughable.

I get that people have fond memories of the sport they grew up with but I'm fully prepared that in 50 years time people will look back and laugh at the football we see now. It's a game that's constantly evolving and improving, footballers have become proper athletes now.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I get that people have fond memories of the sport they grew up with but I'm fully prepared that in 50 years time people will look back and laugh at the football we see now. It's a game that's constantly evolving and improving, footballers have become proper athletes now.

Exactly - none of this is to denigrate either the abilities or the achievements of the players at the time. Winning the World Cup is obviously an AMAZING thing. But had Ryan Harley (for example) been playing in that match he would have looked like a cross between Maradona, Superman and Zeus.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Going to be bouncing in Lyme tonight for the big game.

Dave, the loandlord at the Ship, is offering a free scotch egg to anyone who can down a can of Tennents Super in one like a true Scot. Also got a special offer of 15% off all draft lagers whenever England are in front in the game.

Bring. It. On.

:clap:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Apparently nobody cared enough to bother with a match thread.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have to say I expected a much tougher match than this. It looks like first team versus 2nd team. Massive gulf in quality even though Scotland have the possession stats.(Waits for 3 goals in last 15 minutes :( )

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There is no thread. Wilshere is an idiot. Clearly a talented player but his attitude stinks. He just messed up a shot on goal by yards and immediately looks to blame someone else.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly - none of this is to denigrate either the abilities or the achievements of the players at the time. Winning the World Cup is obviously an AMAZING thing. But had Ryan Harley (for example) been playing in that match he would have looked like a cross between Maradona, Superman and Zeus.

The most notable deficiencies are the defending and positional sense. In the clip I saw, roughly every 10-20 seconds someone would do something that would be considered close to a "howler" nowadays by Championship standards, let alone top level.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Frustratingly meaningless how good we can look in friendlies and qualifiers. This same fixture in Euro 2016 would probably see us nervously drawing 1-1 at the moment.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Really, really good performance I thought. Should've been 4-5, if we'd taken the easier chances (Smalling header, Wilshere chance). Poor Scotland side, sure, but we've drawn and lost to worse. Much better I think.

We've played with a lot of bite and fight - I like it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here