Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Italy UEFA Euros qualifier 7.45

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's the thing, it's part of football. It's not nice, sporting or respectful, but as long as it's within the rules you do anything to win a big match - and you accept the consequences (cards, hate etc.)
It's your role as a player to do it and it's my role as the opposition supporter to be annoyed by it and get angry/insult you; neither is wrong. Of course you can take the moral high ground and not do those things, but in very big matches I'd surely be glad if my players tried anything if it was necessary to win.
Now, I don't consider that of last night a big match, but if it was important for your players - and given that there was only a 1-goal difference and they were under heavy pressure - and if I think about it with a cool head, I can't rationally begrudge them anything. Irrationally, I'm an Italian supporter and I'll obviously absolutely hate to see them do it.

On another note, some English football fans (not referring to this site) have a weird perception of what "cheating" is in football; I remember some Tottenham fans saying we were cheats for defending a 2-1 against them, or making a tactical foul. Same thing happened for Chiellini's tactical foul on Saka at the Euros. It was a textbook tactical foul, also with 0 harm done to the opposing players which isn't exactly a given. And yet people shouted about red cards ( :ROFLMAO: ) and clamored about cheating. Defending isn't cheating, it's just defending. The rules are still always applied, e.g. if you make a foul like that one you know you'll obviously get a yellow.

I also always found it funny that you call them "dark arts", it's a very magical and charming way to describe some of the most unsophisticated, banal actions in the game. Adds a nice mystical aura to them lol

Some English fans, like the one quoted below, also refuse to accept that times have changed and that furbo is now global.

Harry Kane dives, whisper cozy things in the ears of referees, make rough challenges on players who last had the ball a minute ago, tries to break the necks of his opponents. Like Inzaghi x10.

Jack Grealish is not much better - he'd sell his mother for a free kick. Its enough to be on the same pitch as him and he'll just throw himself to the ground.

As for Veltman, I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave for Juventus this summer. Massively experienced player with the right attitude and right desire to win, would be quite cheap and maybe not mind that sort of adventure. Think Lichtsteiner or Mellberg kind of signing - proven, cheap quality.

If you say so. But if he wanted to go down and waste time, why not take a step onto the pitch, and then go down? It looked like he went down because it actually hurt. There were plenty of 'oh my head' opportunities that our team didn't take. And if you think we cheated as much as the Italians, I think you're mad. They're born cheats. Take the Euros, when Immobile tried to buy a penalty, and when his teammate scored his broken leg was immediately cured.

I know Kane cheats, he's one of our worst, but even he can't hold a candle to the Italians.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Yes he is comfortably the best. I’m 48 and had to put up with not even qualifying for some tournaments. We’ve had documentaries made of our 2 semi final appearances in 90 and 96 BUT Southgate gets us to a final and a semi and all he gets is slated ! Most football fans know nothing.
Some English fans, like the one quoted below, also refuse to accept that times have changed and that furbo is now global.

Harry Kane dives, whisper cozy things in the ears of referees, make rough challenges on players who last had the ball a minute ago, tries to break the necks of his opponents. Like Inzaghi x10.

Jack Grealish is not much better - he'd sell his mother for a free kick. Its enough to be on the same pitch as him and he'll just throw himself to the ground.

As for Veltman, I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave for Juventus this summer. Massively experienced player with the right attitude and right desire to win, would be quite cheap and maybe not mind that sort of adventure. Think Lichtsteiner or Mellberg kind of signing - proven, cheap quality.
Jack Grealish? A diving cheat? Well I’ve heard it all now …. 😆

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maguire was awful

He was at fault for the goal and his poor pass lead to shaws second yellow.

Didn't think he was that good. Got caught out several times and how many times did Pickford hoof it because he had no passing options?

I thought Maguire was having a competition with Phillips to see who could get the award as the most shit player.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Belgium back on track 2-0 up against a hapless 3rd world country called Sweden 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Belgium back on track 2-0 up against a hapless 3rd world country called Sweden 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
Only 3-0 to Belgium against Sweden. Bit like last night when San Marino only lost 2-0 - it's nice to see the utterly shit national sides who can't play football because they really know nothing about it try and make a go of it in qualifying.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Wouldn't mind him and we badly need fullbacks, but his age gives me pause. Ideally we'd want someone who could be a more long-term option if possible, although at least he'd be cheaper than some of the old dead weight we were unable to resell. Anyway I personally don't think he'll leave Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He may play for Chelsea but I am feeling sorry for Reece James, had to withdraw from the England squad with an “ongoing injury”. Poor guy, a really good player who seems very injury prone. I still remember that absolute peach of a goal he scored against us at the Amex :angry:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Slightly disappointed and surprised not to see him in the Scottish squad though - that will be a bitter blow for the lad I think.
Maybe he's not in the scots squad because of the minutes he has played in the PL this season - virtually none and the scots manager won't play him for this reason Just like Kelvin Phillips for ManCity and Engl . . . oh!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Maybe he's not in the scots squad because of the minutes he has played in the PL this season - virtually none and the scots manager won't play him for this reason Just like Kelvin Phillips for ManCity and Engl . . . oh!
Yes, only 161 minutes for the reasons I stated so obviously an issue for Clarke. However he made the squad in November for the friendly against Croatia despite have only 13 minutes of PL appearance since transferring from Chelsea at that point.

He’s been plagued with a repetitive injury which is why he’s missed so much PL time and another one recently (which is probably why he’s not been selected by Steve Clarke tbh) which hasn’t helped but when you‘re competing with the likes of Caicedo and Gross for a place in the team, it’s a tough ask. Clarke also has MF options with Ferguson (Lewis), McGregor, McClean etc

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep, said it months ago, nice young lad but clearly not yet giving the PL managers he’s now worked under what they need to see in training and likely to be sold by us the summer I think - can’t see him wanting yet another PL loan placement - think he would have been better going to Rangers initially or even a European club after Norwich if he wasnt happy for Chelsea to send him out on another extended loan - there just hasn’t been the room in the squad for him to break through at Brighton (which requires exceptional talent for a squad such as us heavy on a MF attacking system), Gilmour is a PL average/competent at best CM imo, gets the job done but never makes a ‘wow’ impact and those are not short on the ground in the transfer market.

Gilmour needs a complete career reset, possibly back to Rangers to a club he can give himself wholeheartedly to and some very proactive personal management to help him find his path I reckon - Slightly disappointed and surprised not to see him in the Scottish squad though - that will be a bitter blow for the lad I think.
Sort of player who might go to a team promoted from Div 2. I could see him at Sheffield United or a play off winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here