Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tom Heaton, who will be in goal at the Amex, on Saturday, has been called up.
England's keeper, you're havin' a laugh.

Or something to annoy him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:lol:

Your original post said "Very poor and untried England team tonight".

So even if those 3 didn't do as well as others (which is pretty debatable, see below), you were wrong. Everyone here knows you were wrong. That you can't admit it just makes you a laughing stock.

On those 3 players, I'm just looking at the ratings:
The guardian gave two of them a 7, and the other an 8, while giving four other outfield players a 7.
The mirror gave two of them a 6 and Wellbeck a 7, and they gave three other outfield players a 6 too.
The Express gave two of them a 7 and the other a 6, while giving four other outfield players a 6 or lower.
The telegraph gave them two 6s and a 7, while giving three other outfield players a 6 too.

So even when you try and find something to support the crap you spouted, you seem to be wrong.

I said the Red Tops of which you only quote the Mirror and I would check the date on that to see that they have 1 thing right at least. None the less it is only opinion and nothing to say any person is right or wrong and without opinion football would be boring. Lets agree to differ on opinion as no doubt we will in the future

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
What some people fail to realise is that there is a spectrum of opinions, from the laughable to the highly informed and accurate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I said the Red Tops of which you only quote the Mirror
I googled: "england germany player ratings"
I checked all the papers that came up, I didn't leave any out to suit my argument. There was the mirror, and I also tried the dailystar, but the website wasn't working for the latter: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ings-stood-out-England-s-stunning-win-Germany

without opinion football would be boring
I, and I'm sure many others, have no problem with you having an opinion that's a bit different.

If anyone else had started this thread with the same post, they'd have got a bit of grief for being so negative and then when we won everyone would have quoted the first post and said they got it wrong (same as has happened here). The thread starter would have probably laughed and held their hands up, admitting they got it wrong, and we'd all give them a thumbs up. That would be it.

And the same would happen with you, except we all knew you wouldn't admit you got it wrong, instead people guessed at what excuse you'd come up with. StatBro got it exactly right.

I don't believe you can't teach an old dog new tricks - if you learn to admit when you're wrong you'll find it liberating. Inside you think that admitting it is a sign of weakness, but actually people will think a lot more of you for it. We all make mistakes, and since you're prepared to stick your neck on the line with your predictions (very brave) of course you're going to make a fair few. Don't try so hard to defend those mistakes though.

Lets agree to differ on opinion as no doubt we will in the future
You can count on it :kiss:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I googled: "england germany player ratings"
I checked all the papers that came up, I didn't leave any out to suit my argument. There was the mirror, and I also tried the dailystar, but the website wasn't working for the latter: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ings-stood-out-England-s-stunning-win-Germany

I, and I'm sure many others, have no problem with you having an opinion that's.

If anyone else had started this thread with the same post, they'd have got a bit of grief for being so negative and then when we won everyone would have quoted the first post and said they got it wrong (same as has happened here). The thread starter would have probably laughed and held their hands up, admitting they got it wrong, and we'd all give them a thumbs up. That would be it.

And the same would happen with you, except we all knew you wouldn't admit you got it wrong, instead people guessed at what excuse you'd come up with. StatBro got it exactly right.

I don't believe you can't teach an old dog new tricks - if you learn to admit when you're wrong you'll find it liberating. Inside you think that admitting it is a sign of weakness, but actually people will think a lot more of you for it. We all make mistakes, and since you're prepared to stick your neck on the line with your predictions (very brave) of course you're going to make a fair few. Don't try so hard to defend those mistakes though.

You can count on it :kiss:

The points I quoted were in The Star and the biggest selling paper The Sun, which I buy because I like their sudokos and The Sun did have striker but sadly no more for a while. I do not buy a paper to read their interpretation on the news which is all biased to suit their agenda but make exceptions on sport as in the main I can see it live or on TV and form my own opinion.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tom Heaton, who will be in goal at the Amex, on Saturday, has been called up.

That was before ButlaNd's injury though... Doubt they'll call another keeper up now although would be great for Stockdale to get some recognition...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The points I quoted were in The Star and the biggest selling paper The Sun, which I buy because I like their sudokos and The Sun did have striker but sadly no more for a while. I do not buy a paper to read their interpretation on the news which is all biased to suit their agenda but make exceptions on sport as in the main I can see it live or on TV and form my own opinion.

Comedy genius :lol: :lol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very poor and untried England team tonight

Butland
Clyne.. Smalling....Cahill,.... Rose
Henderson...Dier
Wellbeck....Alli...Lallana
Kane​

So the one who was untried played well and the team weren't poor, they were very good. But apart from that you were spot on :thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
BG, we've been here before, and more than once. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, I don't think anyone disputes that. But when the opinion comes in the form of a prediction "poor and untried team" = we'll be humped and it transpires to be wrong, folk on here will quickly jump on this as an opinion that over time proved to be a bad one.

If you don't put your hand up to say "ooops, I got that wrong", you have to expect that people will (rightly) ridicule you and any opinion that you might offer in the future.

I read your opinion / prediction comments like I do the chaps on here that like a flutter. Difference is, when they get it wrong, they (generally) put their hands up and admit their mistake.

You, on the other hand, continue to argue that, any opinion can't be wrong. Unfortunately, time often proves an opinion wrong and only the bigger man can concede his failed judgement.

But, you never do ....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Poo old BG - he is always right & holds is hands up on the odd occasion he's not but still gets abuse... :lol: :whistle:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
What I was saying is that if your view differs from the majority you are an exception and scorned. That is not to say the rest are correct but it is so easy to be dragged along like sheep with the normal view and without a person stopping to think for themselves. Usually the sheep mentality is promoted by the journalist of newspapers who get paid to do this.

You can try and argue that all opinions are of equal weight, but they're not. Opinions ought to be backed by reason, knowledge of said topic and evidence to support the opinion. You provide none of that, instead, you try and try to advertise yourself as this Sage of football wisdom. You resort to "sheep mentality" because people are scorning you for opinions that are, quite frankly, pulled out of your ass. You try to defend yourself by arguing "players performed as I expected", which contradicts your entire OP.

Put away the pipe, slippers and dressing gown. You're not a scholar in football, you're just the fella in the corner of the pub drinking John Smiths blabbing on and spouting out anything to anyone who would give you a moment's notice.

The facts of this game are simple.

- The squad was young and untested
- The tactical line up wasn't 4-2-3-1 but 4-3-3
- The youth showed my enthusiasm and drive than any other team I have seen in my short few years on this planet
- It worked, Germany's first goal was only the result of Butland's ankle injury, that would have been a stock standard save for Butland, who has been performing well at Stoke this season.
- Germany are world champions, with arguably the best squad in the world, the fact we only conceded 2 (one as stated as above) to concede is to be expected
- Our fightback was due to our player's youthfulness and drive, many passages of play were a joy to watch, lots of crisp passing and decent touches coupled with attacking intent

You're wrong, opinions can be wrong.

My opinion is that 2+2=10, it is my opinion and you're sheep to mathematics if you disagree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr has just finishing his hot chocolate and is now reading The Sun's 'goals' section.

Today's headline is:-

Moore of a Man
Dele can be our youngest captain.

How fookin mentals do you have to be in order to take any notice of this shitehouse rag of a comic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jnr has just finishing his hot chocolate and is now reading The Sun's 'goals' section.

Today's headline is:-

Moore of a Man
Dele can be our youngest captain.

How fookin mentals do you have to be in order to take any notice of this shitehouse rag of a comic.

Perhaps you should try telling their 1.9m daily purchasers not the number of readers, how superior you are by not reading it, as it is a comic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank god there are 51,000,000 superior people in England. :dunce:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Perhaps you should try telling their 1.9m daily purchasers not the number of readers, how superior you are by not reading it, as it is a comic.

Brilliant the "it's popular therefore it must be good" argument. Anyone playing BG Bingo must have a full house now on this thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps you should try telling their 1.9m daily purchasers not the number of readers, how superior you are by not reading it
Some things go without saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here