Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How many times do I need say that generally they played better than I expected with some exceptions, who performed as I expected
Your posts that you've quoted say that it was 'great once they replaced Welbeck and Lallana' and 'the 2 substitutions changed the complex of the game', as if the starting line up wasn't decent in the first place. It's not exactly saying 'wow, I got it wrong' is it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your posts that you've quoted say that it was 'great once they replaced Welbeck and Lallana' and 'the 2 substitutions changed the complex of the game', as if the starting line up wasn't decent in the first place. It's not exactly saying 'wow, I got it wrong' is it.
I bet you never realised backhandedly saying how right you are, is in fact an admission of being wrong. :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
What I was saying is that if your view differs from the majority you are an exception and scorned.

However in this instance the 'scorn' was because you were wrong. Not because it was different, cos it was wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a sign of a good team to be shit in central defence. How many times over the years have we heard "well maybe their one weakness is they're suspect at the back" ;)

On a serious note, I didn't think Smalling was that bad considering the opponents. Definitely a good ball-playing defender in the making there. Cahill on the other hand, continues to worry me.

Not a bad point there - I'm sure I remember the Brazil World Cup winning team of 1970 were supposed to be pretty crap defensively.

Have concerns about both last night's CBs - particularly Smalling - but I actually think they did a half decent job last night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not a bad point there - I'm sure I remember the Brazil World Cup winning team of 1970 were supposed to be pretty crap defensively.
Comparing our attack with theirs, I think Brazil might just about edge it.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
One thing I noticed last night (I think/hope) was the absence of "That ****ing band" that are ever present at England games. We've been shite since they turned up in the late nineties.

They've been the sound track to so many turgid, toothless England displays over the past 15 or so years. As soon as I hear the trumpet wankers my heart sinks. I'm sure they'll turn up on Tuesday and normal service will be resumed.

Ban the band.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
One thing I noticed last night (I think/hope) was the absence of "That ****ing band" that are ever present at England games. We've been shite since they turned up in the late nineties.

They've been the sound track to so many turgid, toothless England displays over the past 15 or so years. As soon as I hear the trumpet wankers my heart sinks. I'm sure they'll turn up on Tuesday and normal service will be resumed.

Ban the band.

I agree. Atmosphere from away end sounded great last night. No need for that shite band.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My final point on this this thread, hopefully, is that despite the criticism I have taken it is interesting to note that the reporters for the Red Tops, who are supposed to be experts on the matter, in their rating put Henderson as the lowest England players followed by Lallana and Welbeck so my original concern about those 3 when the team was announced has proved to be correct.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how many 'experts' were calling the team very poor and untried, before kick off.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the best things about that 'poor and untried' team is that the England shirt isn't 'heavy' as Cappello once memorably described it. In other words you can't imagine players like Ali nervously passing the ball around safely against someone like Andorra, terrified in case he made a mistake. That will change of course if
the England fan/journalist fickle-switch flicks from 'useless' to 'should win this tournament'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My final point on this this thread, hopefully, is that despite the criticism I have taken it is interesting to note that the reporters for the Red Tops, who are supposed to be experts on the matter, in their rating put Henderson as the lowest England players followed by Lallana and Welbeck so my original concern about those 3 when the team was announced has proved to be correct.
:lol:

Your original post said "Very poor and untried England team tonight".

So even if those 3 didn't do as well as others (which is pretty debatable, see below), you were wrong. Everyone here knows you were wrong. That you can't admit it just makes you a laughing stock.

On those 3 players, I'm just looking at the ratings:
The guardian gave two of them a 7, and the other an 8, while giving four other outfield players a 7.
The mirror gave two of them a 6 and Wellbeck a 7, and they gave three other outfield players a 6 too.
The Express gave two of them a 7 and the other a 6, while giving four other outfield players a 6 or lower.
The telegraph gave them two 6s and a 7, while giving three other outfield players a 6 too.

So even when you try and find something to support the crap you spouted, you seem to be wrong.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

So, to paraphrase;

'I was at right at the beginning, you're all wrong and have been the whole time'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here