Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
It's a sign of a good team to be shit in central defence. How many times over the years have we heard "well maybe their one weakness is they're suspect at the back" ;)

On a serious note, I didn't think Smalling was that bad considering the opponents. Definitely a good ball-playing defender in the making there. Cahill on the other hand, continues to worry me.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Maybe we're just talking about the difference between optimism and hope/belief. If you're happy ti just see us turn up and try, that's probably where many of us are now.

Not that long ago many of us thought we had a decent chance. We were close in '90 and '96, had a good team in '98, should have done better in 2002 (as I posted above) and were excellent in 2004, where we lost out due to Rooney getting his foot broken (he really was bloody good then). Not doing as well as we could have in those years, and being forgettable ever since, makes me less hopeful.

Spain 82 we blew big time in the 2nd phase, with 2 draws against a weak host and a poor West Germany that still got to the final.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Perhaps I should have said AND he missed rather than it sound like that was my reason for saying he wasnt good enough
I would like to see a midfield of Walcott Barkley and Ali with Dier holding.

Walcott who can not get a game for Arsenal. Henderson provided assists with corners for first and third goals ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spain 82 we blew big time in the 2nd phase, with 2 draws against a weak host and a poor West Germany that still got to the final.
I don't even remember it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is down to Arsene Whinger and perhaps contributes to their dropping off this season when they were expected to be challenging for top spot.
:lol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Wouldnt football be boring if we were all like sheep and didnt have an opinion.

So anyone that disagrees with your opinion, or the majority of people that share an opinion is a sheep?

Just give up and admit that you know **** all about football. You've been proven wrong before and you've been proven wrong this time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Great performance 2nd half once they replaced Welbeck and Lallana with Vardy and Barkley. MOM had to be Ali but creditable performance I thought from Danny Rose.

The rest played better than I expected but the 2 substitutions changed the complex of the game but basically Welbeck Lallana were poor also dont think Clyne or Cahill are now good enough nor Henderson as an attacking force as hd missed a couple of good chances that he shoulc hzvd done better with. I was impressed with Rose a good debut I thought and also Dier. For me Ali was MOM by a mile.

Talking of admitting things BG, are you prepared to admit that you got it totally wrong? We had already got a goal back before the substitutions (and it was only 2 outfield substitutions, not enough to change your claim that the team was "Very poor and untried" )?

How many times do I need say that generally they played better than I expected with some exceptions, who performed as I expected

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
So anyone that disagrees with your opinion, or the majority of people that share an opinion is a sheep?

Just give up and admit that you know **** all about football. You've been proven wrong before and you've been proven wrong this time.

Bit of an overreaction? Think BG was using an analogy and wasn't saying we were all sheep. Baaaaaaaaaaaaa!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I was saying is that if your view differs from the majority you are an exception and scorned. That is not to say the rest are correct but it is so easy to be dragged along like sheep with the normal view and without a person stopping to think for themselves. Usually the sheep mentality is promoted by the journalist of newspapers who get paid to do this.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What have sheep ever done to you, leave them alone.

What I was saying is that if your view differs from the majority you are an exception and scorned. That is not to say the rest are correct but it is so easy to be dragged along like sheep with the normal view and without a person stopping to think for themselves. Usually the sheep mentality is promoted by the journalist of newspapers who get paid to do this.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

All sounds a bit woolly to me if I'm honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here