Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Indeed,.. we dont want Sterling back, and Rooney can try out the bench methinks. I would like to see Hart back, plus someone to replace the ever shite Cahill.
I'd have to disagree with Cahill needing to go, he's not to the level of Terry or Campbell in their England pomp but he's genuinely one of the best centre backs we have (in my opinion anyway).

Edit; Sterling on the bench would be reasonable, if nothing else he'd terrify a tired defence late on.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I thought we were second best in the first half and lucky not to be 2 or 3 down. In the second half we played like a totally different team and gave them the run around. But to what extent did the Germans switch off because they weren't that bothered?

Do you really think the Germans"weren't than bothered".

Give credit to England and the manager. The only problem we have in the future is whether we play one or two up front, I would go 4 4 2 and go for it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure if this has been specifically mentioned.
But the "poor and untried England team" only had 2 (two) outfield substitutions.

I wonder when that last happened, in a friendly?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Do you really think the Germans"weren't than bothered".

Give credit to England and the manager. The only problem we have in the future is whether we play one or two up front, I would go 4 4 2 and go for it.

No, I was asking the question, not stating it as fact. England played very well second half.

boik

I think Tuesday might be a bit different. Roy will quite rightly have given assurances about not risking players too much. It was "only" Butland that got injured this time, but can you imagine the outcry if Kane or Alli or Vardy had got injured. Or even that holding midfielder that no-one knows.

Might be useful to temper the bubble of euphoria anyway.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It was a very good second half performance but will mean nothing unless England can break the habit of a life time and actually play well in a tournament for 4, 5, dare we say, 6 games in France.

Gomez's disallowed goal should have stood so that would have made it 2-0 at half time and may well have changed the course of the game.

The defence is still a concern. We need to play our way out much more rather than booting it down field.

But Hogdson needs to now stick with the majority of this team. Adios Wayne Rooney.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't deny it happens but if any non-tournament result is to be enjoyed then it's probably this one!
Well I certainly enjoyed it. Friendlies are normally such dull affairs and having a young team against a decent opposition made this one good to watch.

Out of interest, what are your minimum expectations of England in the Euros?
I don't have any expectations at all. Like many here I used to have high hopes for England as we've had some of the best players in the world. We don't anymore, so I have low hopes, even though we might end up with a decent team.

It might also be affected by how well Brighton are doing. A couple of decades ago I'd just be hoping our club didn't go bust or out of the football league, I can enjoy our club's progress much more now and perhaps my sporting needs have become less dependent on England.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I thought we were second best in the first half and lucky not to be 2 or 3 down. In the second half we played like a totally different team and gave them the run around. But to what extent did the Germans switch off because they weren't that bothered?

We grumble when they lose, why not give credit when they beat the World Champions? Savour the victory.
Let's hope we can do it again in June....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure if this has been specifically mentioned.
But the "poor and untried England team" only had 2 (two) outfield substitutions.

I wonder when that last happened, in a friendly?

Not that you will admit it but the 2 outfield substitutions made the difference and changed the game. Nobody knows for sure but had the team that finished started, basically as I said in the OP, the win may have been more emphatic. The plus is that yet agajn Roy was able to see Welbeck and Lallana are only squad players and not good enough to be certain starters.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I watched some of the aftermatch stuff on German ZDF. They were very complimentary of England and admitted that since the 2014 World Cup the Germany team has failed to hit the form that delivered the trophy. They also thought that the substitutions of Vardy and Barkley coming on stopped Germany getting anything going as they were always beaten by pace. That and the quality of the Vardy finish. They also said in their opinion Rooney should definately not be an automatic starter. Personally I'm up for leaving him at home for the Euros. I think his presence in the squad might be too distracting to other players. We have a young squad, a lot of them together since the u21's, they have a real team spirit and togetherness, I have a feeling old school Rooney may upset that.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Most of this team are young, motivated and previously untried (apart from Cahill , Henderson and Lallana who are all crap). The opposition hasn't been able to do much homework on them because they havent played much together.

Please let's stick with them rather than the turgid rubbish played by the "golden generation" - all of whom repeatedly demonstrated they were incapable of winning key football matches at international level.

No real idea how they'll do but it can't be any worse than watching Gerrard, Lampard etc repeatedly fail to achieve club form when it mattered

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not that you will admit it but the 2 outfield substitutions made the difference and changed the game. Nobody knows for sure but had the team that finished started, basically as I said in the OP, the win may have been more emphatic.
Talking of admitting things BG, are you prepared to admit that you got it totally wrong? We had already got a goal back before the substitutions (and it was only 2 outfield substitutions, not enough to change your claim that the team was "Very poor and untried" )?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talking of admitting things BG, are you prepared to admit that you got it totally wrong? We had already got a goal back before the substitutions (and it was only 2 outfield substitutions, not enough to change your claim that the team was "Very poor and untried" )?
Good luck.

How many goals was Henderson involved in?

Oh and I loved that intricate, quick footed, play around their box involving Henderson, Lellana & Welbeck.
It resulted in a guilt edged chance for Rose (?)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going for:-

"Well that only worked when Roy played the team I would have started with".

Not that you will admit it but the 2 outfield substitutions made the difference and changed the game. Nobody knows for sure but had the team that finished started, basically as I said in the OP, the win may have been more emphatic. The plus is that yet agajn Roy was able to see Welbeck and Lallana are only squad players and not good enough to be certain starters.

We have a winner!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The rest played better than I expected but the 2 substitutions changed the complex of the game but basically Welbeck Lallana were poor also dont think Clyne or Cahill are now good enough nor Henderson as an attacking force as hd missed a couple of good chances that he shoulc hzvd done better with. I was impressed with Rose a good debut I thought and also Dier. For me Ali was MOM by a mile.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I watched some of the aftermatch stuff on German ZDF. They were very complimentary of England and admitted that since the 2014 World Cup the Germany team has failed to hit the form that delivered the trophy. They also thought that the substitutions of Vardy and Barkley coming on stopped Germany getting anything going as they were always beaten by pace. That and the quality of the Vardy finish. They also said in their opinion Rooney should definately not be an automatic starter. Personally I'm up for leaving him at home for the Euros. I think his presence in the squad might be too distracting to other players. We have a young squad, a lot of them together since the u21's, they have a real team spirit and togetherness, I have a feeling old school Rooney may upset that.

My over riding memory of Rooney at a major tournament was him being thick and insensitive enough to bitch about the fans, as he came off the pitch in South Africa having played Germany, at the end one of the most embarrassing tournament displays in living memory. The fact that he doesn't deliver against the top sides also counts against him IMO. You may have gathered that I am no fan of Rooney and really hope that he is left behind. The attitude and togetherness shown last night will do for me even if we end up losing all our games. I was proud of our national team last night and felt, for the first time in years, that I could relate to the players.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
The rest played better than I expected but the 2 substitutions changed the complex of the game but basically Welbeck Lallana were poor also dont think Clyne or Cahill are now good enough nor Henderson as an attacking force as hd missed a couple of good chances that he shoulc hzvd done better with. I was impressed with Rose a good debut I thought and also Dier. For me Ali was MOM by a mile.

Henderson you say was not good enough as he missed a couple of good chances yet Ali was your man of the match by a mile and he missed an absolute sitter ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here