Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I knew you'd be coming back after I read some of those.

Some are always going to believe in the national team (someone has to) and others might have brief flirtations with the idea but I doubt there are many out there who expect a trophy this summer.

Also, some of those posts only mention now having hope in a good tournament, not belief, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that? A football fan without hope isn't really a football fan at all. Or they support Pompey. One or t'other.

Personally i see a performance like that and think that we can be competitive and a bit entertaining at the Euros. This is really the least i would ask for. I am certainly not getting carried away and assuming we can win it, or even beat the big teams but i am now looking forward to watching it rather than it being a chore.

As an England supporter we should be celebrating the good times and good wins as they don't come around very often.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I knew you'd be coming back after I read some of those.
I would hate to let you down :)

Some are always going to believe in the national team (someone has to) and others might have brief flirtations with the idea but I doubt there are many out there who expect a trophy this summer.
Maybe not expecting to win the whole thing, but you know how quickly the English get carried away after the odd decent display.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hi! I have a fairly pronounced anti-Liverpool bias (full disclosure and all that) and don't really understand why Henderson is such a fixture at the moment, it feels like he's there because of the team he plays for.

No issue with Lallana though, used to be but I was rightfully corrected.

Fairy nuff. Thought Henderson did OK tonight, good work-rate and all that, but admit I'd put Barkley in ahead of him.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Great evening! What a fantastic, vibrant, exciting performance. A glimpse of what might be with a 4-4-2 of Kane/Vardy up front and Alli in midfield.

Unfortunately Roy will ruin it and bring back Rooney, Wilshere, Sterling and Walcott.
Probably but bloody hope not.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Remember when we came back from 0-1 to beat Argentina in that friendly before the (can't remember) 2006 WC?

Anyway, point being there's no need to get carried away but PLEASE Woy, drop the fag smoking, pie faced, serial adulterer and play the young lads.

Even if it's a disaster they'll be better for the next tournament. Like e.g. Germany.

Well played England.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe not expecting to win the whole thing, but you know how quickly the English get carried away after the odd decent display.

Given how rare it is, I would say quite understandable.

Presumably, if they actually have a good tournament, (qualify through the group stage perhaps [emoji6]) you will acknowledge that the 'false hope', was actually real?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus, there are a few boring farts on here. It's football for christ's sake. You win a game and dream, that's the whole point isn't it. Why else do you support a team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Today, England beat the World Cup Champions of Football, and England beat the World 20/20 Champions of Cricket.

That doesn't happen very often.
Well done, all concerned, I'm a happy man (and slightly pissed) tonight

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
England win v Germany on German soil. Never to be sniffed at.

Celebrate it as much as the German fans hated it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
... And what goals.

Been waiting for years for an England team full of young players with fight.

What isn't there to like ? Nice one woy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Presumably, if they actually have a good tournament, (qualify through the group stage perhaps [emoji6]) you will acknowledge that the 'false hope', was actually real?
I'm not even saying it's false hope, I'm just pointing out how often we're pretty average, win a game, and then get carried away. Not that it's a bad thing to get carried away, it's just funny how often it happens.

I imagine our expectations are low because of so many years of failure at the finals, because we've had a decent qualifying campaign. And imagine, we could have had another McClaren in charge.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
England were intense tonight, a proper 90 minute performance and thoroughly outplaying the Germans.

What worries me is if Hodgson doesn't go all in with this young team. If he's set on taking 4 strikers then Kane and Vardy are shoe-ins while Welbeck and Sturridge fit in to the game plan with high energy and both good on the break.

How and where does Rooney fit in?

In that team? He doesn't Not even in the squad on merit now. We have better strikers and better attacking midfielders. Several of them played tonight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stick in a Brexit for a fabulous treble and I'd die happy!
Assuming you're not close to the grave, you could be dying in several decades time, after years of boring everyone you meet about 2016 :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assuming you're not close to the grave, you could be dying in several decades time, after years of boring everyone you meet about 2016 :)

Nah, I'd just hide a very satisfied smile, and keep shtumm! Don't know about closeness to the grave, but several decades looks like a good deal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here