Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

DavePage

England played with hunger tonight . Henderson and Kane especially were winning 50/50s all night. Rooney needs to stay at home. If he gets chosen ahead of Kane and Vardy then it will send out the wrong signal to every other player that you're only picked because of who you are/ who you play for and all the English players will have to move to the top clubs just to guarantee their national place .

Now for the rest of the season it is Jamie Vardy's mettatarsel watch
Looks more likely in need of that sandwich, keep the hunger tactic going

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Rooney needs to be a back-up plan. The rest of the squad is built for either a high pressure game or a fast counter-attack. Rooney doesn't fit into either style.

Inevitably he'll come straight into the side, it won't gel and we'll under-perform again.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I know many will disagree but given the right service Rooney scores and is very good.

I suppose the main issue is now he is captain he will struggle to be dropped

I drop Rooney has nt ever showed up for England in a tournament since euro 2004.if owen had remained fit he would have smashed the England record.but he ll start and it ll be the same old shit

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I know many will disagree but given the right service Rooney scores and is very good.

I suppose the main issue is now he is captain he will struggle to be dropped

Rooney is very good - I think most people's issue with him is that he's not as good as he could have been given his early potential. But he's still been a very good player over the years and he's not done yet. 17 goals in 36 appearances this season for club and country. 51 goals for England. Yet there's so much hyperbole around about how he's supposedly rubbish.

There is a problem now that it is difficult to drop him because he is captain. But he should always be in the squad when fit.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Who is this mythical 'we' though? I don't know anyone that thinks in that way regarding the national side and even the media are warier than they used to be.

The accusation of the national side/nation getting carried away just doesn't seem to ring true any more.

Wait till you see tomorrows papers.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I just remember that night England beat Germany 5-1 in a world cup qualifier.

Everybody thought this team was destined for greatness.

As it turned out both teams qualified for the finals. England disappointed as usual, Germany got to the final, though they lost this time I think.
It might be time to cut the national side a little slack, that was 15 years ago!

Just had a look at the squad from that night and at least 4 have been club managers since then, 1 is the U21 manager and a lot of the others are now pundits...none are near the national team now. Let the pain go...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rooney is very good - I think most people's issue with him is that he's not as good as he could have been given his early potential. But he's still been a very good player over the years and he's not done yet. 17 goals in 36 appearances this season for club and country. 51 goals for England. Yet there's so much hyperbole around about how he's supposedly rubbish.

There is a problem now that it is difficult to drop him because he is captain. But he should always be in the squad when fit.

I agree he needs to go.

You need someone to carry the ball bag and hand out drink bottles

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Told you so.
In order to progress in a tournament we'll have to win at least one game, and if that happens we'll suddenly think we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen
The accusation of the national side/nation getting carried away just doesn't seem to ring true any more.

The bas**rds have reignited hope in my jaded English soul that we actually have a chance in the Euros

How I feel......

Saying it quietly, but we played very well and may actually have a chance!!!
Whisper it to yourself .. BHAFC promoted and England winning a major tournament in the same year #diedandgonetoheaven

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Rooney is good but not exceptional.he doesnt show up when it matters internationally

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England were intense tonight, a proper 90 minute performance and thoroughly outplaying the Germans.

We know Germany will get better but they've definitely gone backwards since Brazil '14 while England have gone forwards.

What worries me is if Hodgson doesn't go all in with this young team. If he's set on taking 4 strikers then Kane and Vardy are shoe-ins while Welbeck and Sturridge fit in to the game plan with high energy and both good on the break.

How and where does Rooney fit in?

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Told you so.
I knew you'd be coming back after I read some of those.

Some are always going to believe in the national team (someone has to) and others might have brief flirtations with the idea but I doubt there are many out there who expect a trophy this summer.

Also, some of those posts only mention now having hope in a good tournament, not belief, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that? A football fan without hope isn't really a football fan at all. Or they support Pompey. One or t'other.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Totally agree, don't see what value at all is gained from playing Henderson and Lallana ahead of Vardy and Drinkwater. He knows what the former can do, and neither have had great seasons. I hope the latter will both get a start in the other friendly
Hello, hello - is this the NSC anti-Liverpool agenda showing its face again? (Apologies if it isn't, but NSC does have a bit of form on this.............................................)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Great evening! What a fantastic, vibrant, exciting performance. A glimpse of what might be with a 4-4-2 of Kane/Vardy up front and Alli in midfield.

Unfortunately Roy will ruin it and bring back Rooney, Wilshere, Sterling and Walcott.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Hello, hello - is this the NSC anti-Liverpool agenda showing its face again? (Apologies if it isn't, but NSC does have a bit of form on this.............................................)
Hi! I have a fairly pronounced anti-Liverpool bias (full disclosure and all that) and don't really understand why Henderson is such a fixture at the moment, it feels like he's there because of the team he plays for.

No issue with Lallana though, used to be but I was rightfully corrected.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Very poor and untried England team tonight

Butland
Clyne.. Smalling....Cahill,.... Rose
Henderson...Dier
Wellbeck....Alli...Lallana
Kane​

oh so sorry BG .......I didn't want to be left out!

Play this team Roy, it was only a friendly but this side is exciting, fresh and hungry. Don't worry about leaving your captain on the bench but take him as back up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm really looking forward to the Holland match, I think both Drinkwater and Vardy need to start, along with Barkley.

What concerns me is central defence. With two small full-backs our centre halves need to work together well. Ideally, I'd have Stones alongside Cahill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here