England U21 v Italy U21 ko 19.45

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Depressing news they've gone out.

Plenty of time to get back to practising.

Oh, and perhaps we could focus more on grass roots and so give our youngsters a real chance to break into the professional teams that we have here.

All under 20s should be on performance related contracts

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great! JFC plays all the way through the qualifiers, highly regarded by the England set up. CH rightly takes him out of the firing line at Brighton to let him re-gain confidence, then he gets dropped for the first two games of the tournament, and then in his single game apparently has a mare (along with the rest of the team, it seems) - so now they pass the lad back to us on a total downer.
Would like to see him in the '2' of a 4-2-3-1 system next season, like he plays for England, and which is obviously his best position, but the competition there is very strong.
Where (and what) now for JFC?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Losing Berahino was a killer, we've had 20- odd shots tonight and failed to score. I fancy he would have put one or two away.

Ings looks very average, the defence statuesque.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed regarding Ings. Nothing special there. From Suarez to Ings at Anfield. What a comedown.

I can't believe they're even mentioned in the same sentence tbh :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've watched all three of England's games, and what stood out was just how poor our central defenders have been. Stones has rightly taken some stick on here for his performance tonight but he was positively brilliant compared to Liam Moore. Shame Dunk wasn't a bit younger. He'd have shown them.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Great! JFC plays all the way through the qualifiers, highly regarded by the England set up. CH rightly takes him out of the firing line at Brighton to let him re-gain confidence, then he gets dropped for the first two games of the tournament, and then in his single game apparently has a mare (along with the rest of the team, it seems) - so now they pass the lad back to us on a total downer.
Would like to see him in the '2' of a 4-2-3-1 system next season, like he plays for England, and which is obviously his best position, but the competition there is very strong.
Where (and what) now for JFC?

He is still young of course but I'm not alone in thinking that his progress has stalled, or perhaps he has even regressed from a few years ago. Someone at the club really needs to figure out why that has happened and what can be done to rectify it. Maybe a 3 month loan spell at a League One side would help rebuild his confidence and he could push for a starting spot on his return (assuming it went to plan)?

If we are playing three in the midfield, he is certainly behind Kayal, Ince, Stephens, Crofts (if he can play to his usual level when he returns) and I know some won't agree with this considering he didn't turn out as we expected him to last season, but I believe Holla also still has something to give if he stays with us for another year. I wouldn't be surprised if we bought in another CM at some stage over the summer either.

Oh and I've always thought his strongest position was meant to be in the centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1..

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Depressing news they've gone out.

Plenty of time to get back to practising.

Oh, and perhaps we could focus more on grass roots and so give our youngsters a real chance to break into the professional teams that we have here.

Don't know how thats going to happen when more and more overseas players are coming into the PL. Opportunities are becoming less and less.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
JFC is nowhere near international class I'm afraid, although I agree there were others having just as bad a game. Summed it up when there was 10 seconds to go in first half and he passed sideways and the red blew the whistle. Where's the thinking!!? Comms were right - too many players doing the boring stuff and nobody having a real go and showing attacking flair...

Lets be honest, this is a very average bunch of players, hyped up beyond all reasonable expectation. I don't see a star player amongst any of them. They are all being carried at the moment, in their domestic football, by more talented, foreign teammates. They don't have to take any responsibility to try and improve and as they are paid more and more, without having to prove themselves, they fail to develop.The system lets them down, encouraging them to believe that they are world beaters, when in fact, they are novices. They allow their affairs to be handled by spivs, conmen and criminals, whose first interest is certainly not the player.
These youngsters aren't being taught to think for themselves. They can't impose themselves on a game. I felt sorry for them being led by Southgate. A yes man, saying all the right things, keeping his nose clean and climbing up the FA ranks. About as inspirational as a wet blancmange and yet, as we speak, there will be grey suits at the FA earmarking him as a future England manager. God help us.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lets be honest, this is a very average bunch of players, hyped up beyond all reasonable expectation. I don't see a star player amongst any of them. They are all being carried at the moment, in their domestic football, by more talented, foreign teammates. They don't have to take any responsibility to try and improve and as they are paid more and more, without having to prove themselves, they fail to develop.The system lets them down, encouraging them to believe that they are world beaters, when in fact, they are novices. They allow their affairs to be handled by spivs, conmen and criminals, whose first interest is certainly not the player.
These youngsters aren't being taught to think for themselves. They can't impose themselves on a game. I felt sorry for them being led by Southgate. A yes man, saying all the right things, keeping his nose clean and climbing up the FA ranks. About as inspirational as a wet blancmange and yet, as we speak, there will be grey suits at the FA earmarking him as a future England manager. God help us.

Were you saying the same when the cruised through qualifying?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Nothing changes does it - Our national teams have not style or identity,can anyone actually say 'this is the way England play'? True, Southgate seems to have no clue, changing a winning team, and then sticking for 65 mins with one that is being comfortable beaten etc etc but I'm more concerned with the whole set up. It's okay building St George's park, but it's just bricks and mortar, not actually what counts - Coaching, having a consistent approach through the age groups, these are the important things. I see absolutely no sign of change right now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh and I've always thought his strongest position was meant to be in the centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1..

Tex was generally in the centre of our three last season. OK, the rest of the team just weren't on his wavelength, but JFC just isn't in the same league I'm afraid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nothing changes does it - Our national teams have not style or identity,can anyone actually say 'this is the way England play'? True, Southgate seems to have no clue, changing a winning team, and then sticking for 65 mins with one that is being comfortable beaten etc etc but I'm more concerned with the whole set up. It's okay building St George's park, but it's just bricks and mortar, not actually what counts - Coaching, having a consistent approach through the age groups, these are the important things. I see absolutely no sign of change right now.

Very good points, especially an identity.

What is an English style and what are we trying to replicate ??

Are we old style, high tempo, combative, law of average approach, or a more sophisticated, possession lead style ??

Do our youth coaches/fans tolerate a technical little player, with risky mistakes against a bigger tougher player that gets the job done without much risk ?

When you go to a youth tournament this Summer, take a while to have a look at the parents and coaches, I can assure you the biggest cheer will be for the hopeful punt forward, the tackle/foul or an ill advised long range shot, but you can sense the anger when a 10 year old tries to control the ball and pass it but fails to execute that skill.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
OK, JFC is not the greatest, but I have a lot of sympathy for him. He was almost an ever present in getting them to the finals and when they got there he was first to be dropped. When he did get a chance against Italy, by all accounts, he was picked as a distribution player, rather than the holding link up role his is used to. The papers then slate him this morning for not being as good as Barkley. OK, he isn't, but neither does he play the same position. All a bit unfair on the lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports