Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England team: New Golden Generation?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whisper it quietly, but there are a whole load of young players really looking the part this season and England have the makings of a dangerous side. The delay of one year for Euro 2020 might play into our hands. My team:

1. Pickford
2. Alexander-Arnold
3. Chilwell
4. Gomez
5. Maguire
6. Mount
7. Loftus-Cheek
8. Foden
9. Kane
10.Sterling
11.Sancho

Some decent bench options too in Heaton, Walker, Dunk, Grealish, Rashford.

I agree with you but would like to point out a few things. Firstly we don’t appear to have a left back approaching anywhere near being World Class which is slightly frustrating as we’ve got top quality right backs to burn.

Secondly, your team has three attacking midfielders behind the amazing Sterling, Kane & Sancho. Reminds me of Sven trying to get Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes in the same team. It’s unbalanced and we don’t need that attacking intent, there’s no protection for the back four. Look at the current Liverpool side’s midfield with ‘Stephens’ style middle men. I’d stick in the likes of Rice & Henderson with a flair playmaker such as Grealish (can’t stand him personally) and let the front three triumphant worry about making most of the attacking play alongside the full backs.

Lastly, I’m done with Pickford. He needs to grow up.

Last edited:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
As an England supporter ( ie not cynical ) I wasn't particularly convinced by the most recent Golden Generation, but I like the look of this lot. I saw Sancho playing for Dortmund away to Hertha Berlin last season, 19 year old kid in a foreign country, in front of 70,000 crowd, running the show. If he continues to develop, build a team around him and we could be serious contenders.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Pickford's been a shambles for a while, pure comedy at the Amex last time.

Re: Pickford, I had the pleasure of seeing Dean Henderson make his pro debut on loan at Grimsby and boy does that kid have some talent. He was only about 19 at the time, but wow.

Euro 2020-and-a-bit may come too soon for him, I don’t know, but if he doesn’t become our national keeper for most of the next ten years I’ll be surprised.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whisper it quietly, but there are a whole load of young players really looking the part this season and England have the makings of a dangerous side. The delay of one year for Euro 2020 might play into our hands. My team:

1. Pickford
2. Alexander- Arnold
3. Chilwell
4. Gomez
5. Maguire
6. Mount
7. Loftus-Cheek
8. Foden
9. Kane
10.Sterling
11.Sancho

Some decent bench optiins too in Heaton, Walker, Dunk, Grealish, Rashford.

You got 13 players there, mate :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's only golden if it actually wins something . . . . We're not even silver.

metallic ginger is as close as we can claim.

It was over 20 years ago i said we'd never win anything in my lifetime, We have improved, but I still don't see it, particularly with a Victorian FA behind everything, they make our politicians look progressive.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeh, it's that engine room that's the issue there.

Enough attacking talent to challenge the world's best. Madison will be in the mix as well.

Interesting to see how Henderson develops and whether he can challenge Pickford's place

Henderson’s the real deal already, with great concentration levels.

Pickford’s a good shot stopper, but with poor distribution and concentration, making costly errors every season including this one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Henderson’s the real deal already, with great concentration levels.

Pickford’s a good shot stopper, but with poor distribution and concentration, making costly errors every season including this one.

He can win a World Cup penalty shoot out and that counts for something, as does the experience of reaching a World Cup semi. He's not perfect but then who remembers the keepers of the flair WC winning Argentina and Brazil teams of the past?

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
There is a player at Leeds United that seems to be all the rage. He is a defender, I can't remember his name. Leeds United fans seem to think that they are going to sell him to Liverpool though.
Kalvin Phillips I believe? CDM too I think!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
2006 World Cup team was the best of my generation (1969+). It should have come together but they laboured as always.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are a lot of players who had success in tournaments for England Under 19, 19, 21 who now have a couple of decent domestic seasons under their belt too. They will not fear the opposition they come up against, so to see players in the England shirt with the ability but also the mentality really bodes well.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
You could argue for Grealish on the bench as an option at 70 minutes, but I can't see how he can be close to anyone's eleven.

A year from now we will probably have a better idea. Likely scenario is Villa relegated and Grealish moves to a Spurs/Man U/Leicester level club where he has actual competition and isn’t a big fish. Then we can see if he is the real deal.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I've followed a few " Golden Generations " in my time, this ones up there with the rest of them. Only trouble is, there is usually always a better team out there and we pop a couple of cruciate's or hamstrings or a shoulder blade or an Achilles at the wrong time, or end up with a ridiculous red card and suspension....
Rio Ferdinand was on the radio talking about the "Golden Generation" team that he was a part of. He claimed that the main problem was that the best shape for them would have been a three man mid-field with one central striker but that would have involved dropping one of Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen or possibly David Beckham and that the managers at the time didn't have the stomach for the private and public fall out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here