Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squads For The Tour To Bangladesh

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gareth Batty will be 39 in less than 4 weeks' time. His last test was June 2005, so 3 1/2 years before Graeme Swann made his test debut (and he's only 37!).
There's hope for Monty Panesar yet!

With that sort of selection, there's hope for Derek Underwood yet

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With that sort of selection, there's hope for Derek Underwood yet

I'm surprised they didn't pick Malcolm Devon and Jimmy Cook too. Or would that have involved leaving London?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It maybe a selection for Batty where he doubles up as spin bowling coach so a dual role which would make more sense.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Rayner will be more gutted than Leach (Leach should be as well), he's been around a while and has plenty of experience where as leach has had one good season. Would have selected them over Batty without any doubt.

Our obsession with picking someone who can do a bit both with bat and ball is also getting a bit silly, particularly in tests. Why is Ansari in the squad? He took 15 wickets and only averaged 25 with the bat. With the amount of all rounders already in the team I'd rather have Leach batting 10/11 but able to go through a team with the ball. The pitches will be slow and low so don't need to worry about having someone who can hold a bat at 10. The focus needs to be one rolling teams for as cheaply as possible and we've left this years best spinners at home.

Anyone else feel Roy is unlucky not to be in the test team after his one day performances? He almost scored 2 centuries in the last county game as well. I think he'd be much more successful than Hales as an opener in tests. He's far more naturally aggressive than Hales who needs 30/40 balls to get going in tests by which time he's under the pump and doesn't know whether to stick or twist. There would be no uncertainty with Roy and think he could average 40+ but at a strike rate that takes games away from the opposition.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
No cj in the one day squad :down:
Didn't know she played.

1WESam99cj.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rayner will be more gutted than Leach (Leach should be as well), he's been around a while and has plenty of experience where as leach has had one good season. Would have selected them over Batty without any doubt.

Our obsession with picking someone who can do a bit both with bat and ball is also getting a bit silly, particularly in tests. Why is Ansari in the squad? He took 15 wickets and only averaged 25 with the bat. With the amount of all rounders already in the team I'd rather have Leach batting 10/11 but able to go through a team with the ball. The pitches will be slow and low so don't need to worry about having someone who can hold a bat at 10. The focus needs to be one rolling teams for as cheaply as possible and we've left this years best spinners at home.

Anyone else feel Roy is unlucky not to be in the test team after his one day performances? He almost scored 2 centuries in the last county game as well. I think he'd be much more successful than Hales as an opener in tests. He's far more naturally aggressive than Hales who needs 30/40 balls to get going in tests by which time he's under the pump and doesn't know whether to stick or twist. There would be no uncertainty with Roy and think he could average 40+ but at a strike rate that takes games away from the opposition.

I agree with you on our obsession with bits and pieces cricketers. We could handle a spinner who couldn't bat, given the 4 or 5 all rounders we are likely to play (Bairstow, Woakes, Stokes, Ali and arguably Rashid)

Disagree about the second point. We have enough batsmen who can move the score on. I think Roy would struggle as much as Hales would opening, his technique would be exposed.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with you on our obsession with bits and pieces cricketers. We could handle a spinner who couldn't bat, given the 4 or 5 all rounders we are likely to play (Bairstow, Woakes, Stokes, Ali and arguably Rashid)

Disagree about the second point. We have enough batsmen who can move the score on. I think Roy would struggle as much as Hales would opening, his technique would be exposed.

Also at the moment the all rounders from 6 onwards seem to be bailing us out as the top order have a habit of getting out in silly ways.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Batty and Ansari both play for the right county.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having read the arguments for and against, I think I'd prefer the up and coming spinner to go on the Lions tour and ACTUALLY PLAY CRICKET than go to Bangladesh and not bowl a ball

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guessing Hameed will open with Cook. I think he is still a teenager but seen as an incredible prospect. Bangladesh is a good place to start for him.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015

Agree that we have Root, Stokes, Bairstow to speed things up making the lack of an aggressor at the top less of an issue. Bayliss did say he wants 2 out of his top 3 to be aggressive though so picking Hameed would go against this. If he picks him, great, hopefully him and Cook can build us steady starts and get rid of the new ball.

I think Roy would be successful, teams can just bowl at Hales but not at Roy and obviously it could go either way but would back him. Anyway he's not in their plans at the minute and if Duckett is given a chance at the top instead of Hameed it will be interesting to see if his aggressive style works in international cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here