Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Squad

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I personally think Dunk didn't make a strong enough impression in the group when given the chance.

He isn't particularly forthright and may not have stood out enough to leave an impression.
I remember seeing a clip of him arriving at training, he did look a little bit lost.
He wouldn't have known anyone in the squad particularly well at that point either.

Guehi getting called up with Gallagher and Mitchell would have made it easier for him to settle into the group.

i can't imagine his fellow cb's gave him much off a welcome and then Rashford annihilated him in training drills , his own goal and red card record probably don't help either but i'm happy in a selfish way he didn't nail down a spot because he'd be long gone if he had.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
what is this the "squad" for .....please tell me it's not anything serious.

I think it’s a decent squad. You could put together a team of ……

----------------------Ramsdale
------------Walker - White - Stones
Alexander Arnold - Bellingham - Rice - Saka
------------------------Foden
-------------------------Kane

would challenge any side in the world

You can swap out TAA for James, White, for Coady, Foden for Grealish, Ramsdale for Pickford …. It would still challenge any side in the world

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think it’s a decent squad. You could put together a team of ……

----------------------Ramsdale
------------Walker - White - Stones
Alexander Arnold - Bellingham - Rice - Saka
------------------------Foden
-------------------------Kane

would challenge any side in the world

You can swap out TAA for James, White, for Coady, Foden for Grealish, Ramsdale for Pickford …. It would still challenge any side in the world

point taken , i guess they will have learned from the Euros as well that nice guys get bugger all , it's just Southgate i have an issue with.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tariq has been in the PL matchday squad 33 times this season. Not really injury ravaged.

Alexander Arnold was in the Euro squad until he had to pull out with injury.

But unlike the other RB candidates in the squad, Tariq has had zero experience of International or European football. Unfortunately for him, RB is a real area of strength for England at the moment. He's so great for us, but I'd find it hard to justify picking him ahead of the the likes of TAA, Walker, James or Trippier. He's not going to get a look-in ahead of those at this point in time, so I don't blame him for weighing up his options with Ghana.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
i can't imagine his fellow cb's gave him much off a welcome and then Rashford annihilated him in training drills , his own goal and red card record probably don't help either but i'm happy in a selfish way he didn't nail down a spot because he'd be long gone if he had.
There also always seems to be a bit of needle between him and slabhead Maguire which may, or may not, indicate something.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There also always seems to be a bit of needle between him and slabhead Maguire which may, or may not, indicate something.

one is a northern bell end , the other is a southern legend......that's about the size of it, i think Dunk beats Maguire hands down , chances are Maguire thinks the same.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
one is a northern bell end , the other is a southern legend......that's about the size of it, i think Dunk beats Maguire hands down , chances are Maguire thinks the same.
My point being that if there was any friction in the camp between Southgate's pet and a newcomer to the squad there was only ever going to be one winner regardless of class or form.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But unlike the other RB candidates in the squad, Tariq has had zero experience of International or European football. Unfortunately for him, RB is a real area of strength for England at the moment. He's so great for us, but I'd find it hard to justify picking him ahead of the the likes of TAA, Walker, James or Trippier. He's not going to get a look-in ahead of those at this point in time, so I don't blame him for weighing up his options with Ghana.

Yeah I'm not saying he should be selected. He has not been good enough to get anywhere near the England squad this season. Alright most of the time but usually pretty far from pre-injury Lamptey.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've just seen we have 4 games.

Southgate really should have looked at giving Kane/Rice/Saka etc an early summer break to have a decent about of time off.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Latest squad - thoughts?

arse.png

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Absolute joke that HMand CC get in ahead of our two. Do you think the errors at Leicester put paid to their chances or simply not being at a fashionable club!?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Maguire, I disagree with, but would have guessed it

But Shaw?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Also

Phillips. Not played any football. How can he be picked?
Is Pickford injured?
Toney absolutely should be there and if Kane suffers any misfortune between now and the tournament he should be our starting striker.

I'm not confident.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good to see Toney in. Well deserved and a better back up option to Kane than the others.

Maguire deserves to keep his place as never let England down but constantly baffled by the other defensive picks. Coady and Tomori not fit to lace Dunk or Websters boots.

At least Tyrone Mings has been left out I suppose.

Man City buying one of England's bestperformers in Phillips and Grealish and hardly playing them is either a scandal or a gift. They'll either be so off the pace by Qatar they will be useless or so fresh they are brilliant. Can't decide which!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Barring the inclusion of Ivan Toney for the injury-prone Dominic Calvert-Lewin you could be forgiven for thinking this was a squad picked c. May 2021. It's like the last 16 months haven't happened.

Obviously not having Dunk in the squad is a disgrace, and even though Veltman has seamlessly replaced Ben White the Arsenal player should be in the squad, particularly as there are only 5 midfielders.

What I really don't get is how Southgate can bomb Mings out of the squad but retain Maguire. Shaw can count himself very lucky too; it's no coincidence Newcastle's defence has looked stronger and Villa's weaker since LB Matt Targett moved to the Toon, indeed that's probably one of the reasons LCB Mings has looked worse because he hasn't had Targett to bail him out.

And what does Coady bring to the table? A player deemed surplus to requirement at Wolves, he's not as good on the ball as Dunk, not as commanding in the air, not as consistent either.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
“Clearly, we have a number of players including Ben Chilwell, Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire and Kalvin Phillips who are not playing a lot of minutes with their club. It is not ideal, but we feel they have been, and can be, important players for us. It is not a perfect situation but there is still a lot of football to be played before Qatar.”

Right.

So how about picking some players who are getting a lot of minutes ya f**king half-wit?!

Neilwc

Feb 4, 2022
Agreed overlooking a squad place for Dunk (given current performance and our league position) is a disgrace. Not brave enough to drop Maguire. I genuinely thought Southgate had more about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here