Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Squad

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
14 months difference not a lot also he would not have picked Dunk 3-4 ago when he was turning in excellent performances as a defender... As said elsewhere Southgate would have more respect if he just i am the manager and i pick those players i want rather than state it picks on form.

Unless I’ve misread your post, there’s 9 years difference in age between Guehi and Dunk.

I’m not taking the piss, like I said I think Dunks a good player, but wasn’t he banging in own goals pretty regularly 3-4 years ago?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I don't buy that. 4 years ago Dunk had had just as good a debut Prem season as Guehi, got his England call-up, and has only got better with age. Indeed, some centre-backs mature with age - take Chiellini who has bagged 40-odd caps for Italy since turning 30 and led them to victory in Euro 2020.

Fair enough, I’m not trying to change anyones minds, it’s my opinion.

I’m no expert on Dunk, but didn’t he equal the most own goals scored in that first EPL season? Maybe that had a bearing on Southgate’s decision rather than some bias towards the clubs he’d played for during his career?

I really don’t think strongly enough about this to argue with you, we just disagree.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I’m no expert on Dunk, but didn’t he equal the most own goals scored in that first EPL season? Maybe that had a bearing on Southgate’s decision rather than some bias towards the clubs he’d played for during his career?

I really don’t think strongly enough about this to argue with you, we just disagree.

Fair enough. You're right about the own goals although weirdly that was when he got picked for England.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't give a fukk that the waistcoatwanker doesn't pick Albion players. He needs a length of 4 by 2 taking to his bent nose to straighten it out. He bodged a world cup and a euro because he can't look beyond players he 'trusts'. I will die never seeing us win a competition because of him. He can get in the sea alright.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
A semi final and a final.

If he's have done much better we'd have won something.

Team big nose.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Meanwhile, Lamptey has asked to be left out of the U21 squad as he's considering a switch to Ghana. Makes sense when he sees there are about 12 right backs in the full England squad.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Dunk's own goals were mainly down to blocks and some very wicked deflections. He also got the most successful blocks in as well. He had little protection from his midfield (less than he has now) and between him and Duffy they kept overall goals against numbers down to roughly 1 per game or so. I don't buy into it that Southgate was a CPFC fan I do think he is blinkered. He is entitled to make a choice , its his job but to say people picked on merit/form was IMO nonsense. It's that bit that would get me annoyed but personally I think its to BHAFC's benefit we don't get players picked for England.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Meanwhile, Lamptey has asked to be left out of the U21 squad as he's considering a switch to Ghana. Makes sense when he sees there are about 12 right backs in the full England squad.

And the fact that all the while he plays for Our sacred Albion he has NO CHANCE of ever being picked by the Palarse numpty.

Same for Dunk , not just his age, but who he plays for.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
And the fact that all the while he plays for Our sacred Albion he has NO CHANCE of ever being picked by the Palarse numpty.

Same for Dunk , not just his age, but who he plays for.
If I was the England manager I don't think I would pick any players from palarse. That's the rules.:D

SAC

May 21, 2014
Southgate picks the players he thinks will perform for him and this formula has worked for him. He doesn't pick Palace players because he played for them 30 years ago or not pick Albion players due to fan rivalries and I can't believe that some on here seriously believe this.

He the 2nd most successful manager England have ever had. He's not perfect but surrounds himself with a decent backroom staff that make up for his limited abilities. The players seem to get on well with him and there isn't as much friction amongst the players than we have had with previous squads. He's also very eloquent, which is rare in football and another reason why the FA love him. He is risk adverse, which seems to do well getting through the matches we are expected to win but where other managers have failed. It would be good to see him take a few risks, although he will be castigated if he takes risks and gets them wrong!

More than that, there isn't anyone else I can think of at the moment that I would want to take over from him. Chances are that Howe will be the next England manager and I suspect that it will be a disaster, although I thought he would flop at Newcastle! If we are keeping with English managers, unless Gerrard or Lampard massively improve, Howe and Potter could be the only contenders.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I personally think Dunk didn't make a strong enough impression in the group when given the chance.

He isn't particularly forthright and may not have stood out enough to leave an impression.
I remember seeing a clip of him arriving at training, he did look a little bit lost.
He wouldn't have known anyone in the squad particularly well at that point either.

Guehi getting called up with Gallagher and Mitchell would have made it easier for him to settle into the group.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Southgate picks the players he thinks will perform for him and this formula has worked for him. He doesn't pick Palace players because he played for them 30 years ago or not pick Albion players due to fan rivalries and I can't believe that some on here seriously believe this.

He the 2nd most successful manager England have ever had. He's not perfect but surrounds himself with a decent backroom staff that make up for his limited abilities. The players seem to get on well with him and there isn't as much friction amongst the players than we have had with previous squads. He's also very eloquent, which is rare in football and another reason why the FA love him. He is risk adverse, which seems to do well getting through the matches we are expected to win but where other managers have failed. It would be good to see him take a few risks, although he will be castigated if he takes risks and gets them wrong!

More than that, there isn't anyone else I can think of at the moment that I would want to take over from him. Chances are that Howe will be the next England manager and I suspect that it will be a disaster, although I thought he would flop at Newcastle! If we are keeping with English managers, unless Gerrard or Lampard massively improve, Howe and Potter could be the only contenders.

Well said.

I'm no Southgate fan but can't see at the moment why he should be replaced or who by? Any answers, especially to the who by question?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Lamptey would be a obvious choice for me if I was Southgate but I'm not and England will lose out on a incredible player because Lamptey will now probably be playing for Ghana in the world cup,and who could blame him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lamptey would be a obvious choice for me if I was Southgate but I'm not and England will lose out on a incredible player because Lamptey will now probably be playing for Ghana in the world cup,and who could blame him.

This one is fair enough on Southgate.

Tariq has had an injury ravaged season and even Alexander Arnold, who to me looks like one of the best full backs i've ever seen, didn't make the squad for the euros.

I'd just say to Tariq, forget about the other players you are up against, declare for whoever your heart tells you to declare for

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Don’t think that’s fair on Southgate. Lamptey has not been anywhere near one of the best English right backs this season, he’s not even first choice for us. Walker, TAA and James are miles ahead of him at the moment.

Next season is a big one for Lamptey as he’s not progressed as much as I would have hoped this long after his injury return. But he is still very young and I think he needs to learn to play the position again slightly differently as he just doesn’t seem quite as rapid as he was before the injury.

Southgate has clearly had a blind spot with Dunk for years which he hopefully won’t repeat with Webster, but I don’t think you can knock him for not picking Lamptey.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This one is fair enough on Southgate.

Tariq has had an injury ravaged season and even Alexander Arnold, who to me looks like one of the best full backs i've ever seen, didn't make the squad for the euros.

I'd just say to Tariq, forget about the other players you are up against, declare for whoever your heart tells you to declare for

Tariq has been in the PL matchday squad 33 times this season. Not really injury ravaged.

Alexander Arnold was in the Euro squad until he had to pull out with injury.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well deserved call up for Bowen, been outstanding all season

5 right backs? No Dier/Maddison who have had an excellent season

Maguire being in the squad is a joke

Bowen & Justin included in England squad
Here is the 27-man squad that Gareth Southgate has picked for June's four Nations League games...

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Coady, Marc Guehi, Reece James, James Justin, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Tripper, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Conor Gallagher, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling

what is this the "squad" for .....please tell me it's not anything serious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here