[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Thoroughly deserved. He is a Brighton legend. Who would of thought that half the England back line could be Brighton/ex-Brighton players. How times have changed for this club. Not just a great defender but an excellent captain too.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Lets not get too carried. The Palarse Prick has bowed to media pressure and selected the most in-form centre-backs but he won't give him any minutes next week.
Is Sam Johnstone currently a better keeper than Jason Steele?! More Palarse biased right there.
Southgate has a problem. if you bow to pressure from all and sundry to pick a 31 year old, who is arguably the best cb in the premier league at the moment, you can’t not play him. Rock and hard place springs to mind.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The Waistcoated Tactical Pigmy still won't know what to do with Lewis.

Dunk should have 'retired from international football', years ago.
Nobody needs and has earned a long holiday more than him.
I suspect that Dunk sees playing for England as the ultimate dream of a professional footballer so I’m not surprised by him hanging in there for this opportunity to show the world just how good he is. Yes, he is probably knackered but for him on a personal level he’ll want to grab this opportunity before he gets to his mid thirties when he probably wouldn’t get a shot at it.
I am really pleased for him and hope that Southgate sees sense to pencil him in as first choice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Southgate has a problem. if you bow to pressure from all and sundry to pick a 31 year old, who is arguably the best cb in the premier league at the moment, you can’t not play him.
Of course he can. Watch him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If and it's a huge if the prick picks him to play a game it will be hard for Dunk to lower his game awareness down to the level of the others around him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If and it's a huge if the prick picks him to play a game it will be hard for Dunk to lower his game awareness down to the level of the others around him.
He's used to passing to Caicedo who can wriggle out of any situation, or Mitoma who will beat anyone for pace, it's going to be tough for LD.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, he's only gonna keep the bench warm.
Maybe but . Say what you like about Southgate but he's a good track record of giving all/most of the squad run outs if not starts - especially if they have had limited opportunties in the past. So i'd suggest its not unlikely Dunk will start a match.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe but . Say what you like about Southgate but he's a good track record of giving all/most of the squad run outs if not starts - especially if they have had limited opportunties in the past. So i'd suggest its not unlikely Dunk will start a match.
I'd agree if they were friendlies. Also he's taken 5 CBs.

I see him as back up for Maguire - possible 20-25 mins at the end of one of the games if we're leading comfortably.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
He's used to passing to Caicedo who can wriggle out of any situation, or Mitoma who will beat anyone for pace, it's going to be tough for LD.
I think he'll be fine, he's played in different styles under different managers and excelled under all of them. He can do backs against the wall defending as well as anyone.

The challenging thing might be when he doesn't agree with Southgate's primitive tactics, and having to bow to Kane and Maguire as team leaders.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
So... basically he can't win. He's a loser for not picking Dunk, now he's only picked him because of some imagined pressure? Come on.

Dunk didn't tell him to **** off because, unlike some, he's a grown up and a professional.
This. Some of our fans are insufferable when it comes to England.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I wonder though if this is really in the player’s interests. At 31 he is not going to be part of Southgate’s long term plans. This close season is short enough already. Would he not benefit from the rest ?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I wonder though if this is really in the player’s interests. At 31 he is not going to be part of Southgate’s long term plans. This close season is short enough already. Would he not benefit from the rest ?
If he makes the Euros squad next year I imagine he'll think it was worth it

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So why now?
Why now, when he has been the best and most consistent centre back for the last four maybe five years.
Why now Mr Waiscoat Man?
Where is your logic?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Like others have said my first thought was I bet he doesn’t get a cap. Then I thought, actually that’s not bad at least he won’t get injured! Selfish on my part but it should do his ego a bit of good to join up with the England squad. Still think at his age he would be better off resting. Shearer extended his playing career by giving up on England.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
He has selected Lewis when it is easy to do so. It is negligent to have overlooked him for so long.
Southgate is a good loser and an "oh well we tried". England will never win a major trophy with him in charge.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'd agree if they were friendlies. Also he's taken 5 CBs.

I see him as back up for Maguire - possible 20-25 mins at the end of one of the games if we're leading comfortably.
Back up? He's twice the player Maguire is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports