Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England National Team

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good post.
....and yet I can't help being morally hypocritical by wanting half the premiership to be signed by us every transfer window as we battle our way to the promised land that I tell myself I so despise.

I live in hope that when we do arrive in the Premiership we do it on a proper financial footing havn't signed up a load of bell-ends to play for us.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Wow, lots of response!!!

My view from reading through is that because of how much money the players are paid, by their clubs and because some of them have had a scrap in a nightclub or something, combined with not having got it quite right in a tournament for some time, they are losing fans.

I do think it's relevant the point that our own players behaviour off and sometimes on the pitch is not always professional all whilst earning a lot more than the man in the street, yet the are not painted as villains.

I also suspect nobody here would take a moral high ground if we won a tournament and not enjoy it because 'gerrard had a fight in a club once' or 'Rooney wasn't happy with being booed once, so I'm not celebrating his goal'.

Whilst it is very sensationalised, and I am aware of what's it said in news, I genuinely am not intrested in Ashley Coles relationships or what Gerrard does on a night out, I am only interested in what they can do on the pitch, I am more frustrated when players do not want to be picked for England because they won't be starting.

I don't know how poor the Albion would have to perform or what players they would have to sign to make me not intrested or dislike them. If albion doubled every players wages, I would not see them or support them any differently.

......interesting to see the different views on here though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do you know they only care about their lifestyle and pay packet?

It's just a hunch. Rooney has not put a shift in for England for a decade or so now. The most energy he has expended for England was slagging off his own supporters. And his recent admission that he came back from one close season 7 pounds over weight suggests a man who's taken his eye of ball and/or shifted his priorities; 'the big man is back' - he was not wrong. And do I really need to explain why I feel Ashley Cole seems money orientated? Peter Crouch saying he knew he had made it when bumped into an actor and the actor copied his robot dance; this shows how he values success. And where do I begin with John Terry? I could write a book about his selfish escapades which he puts before England.

This jealousy about what footballers earn is ridiculous. They are paid a lot because fans all around the world love to watch them play football and spend fortunes on tickets, kits, TV subscriptions etc. I don't begrudge paying for these things because I love football and I believe it is worth it for the entertainment I receive. If we didn't spend the amount we do on these things, they wouldn't be paid the big money they are.

Thanks for this :facepalm: Did I say I did not understand how they were paid so much?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good post.
....and yet I can't help being morally hypocritical by wanting half the premiership to be signed by us every transfer window as we battle our way to the promised land that I tell myself I so despise.
No I don't.
I don't see the EPL as the promised land, but that's easy for me to say as I haven't stumped up £120m.

We'll arrive in a division we couldn't possibly win.
We'll be held to ransom by players who aren't good enough to warrant the wage demands.
We'll be looking at the likes of Stoke as our roll models and competition.
Any utterance of the utterly abhorant phrase 'we're looking to finish fourth from bottom', & my heart will die, a little.

Based on his post Barnsley match comments and subsequent interviews.
The thought of having the Wayne Bridge of 5 years ago, in the strips, would be soul destroying.
Compared to the Wayne Bridge of today, who, gives the impression at least, of a fella who has stared down the barrel and now realises there's more to football/life than big money and celebdom.
(Of course I understand it might all be lip service but, I'm happy to believe for now)

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Also......as many of you too, the only thing England I dislike, is the band, I'd be gutted to end up sitting near them! I'll be too close on Friday as it is!.....but that could be a thread in itself!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just because we're crap, you're going to stop supporting our country? If Albion started slipping down the leagues, back to league two, would you be saying the same thing? i hope not. Yes we are shit, but that still doesn't stop me watching the games and supporting the team.
Spot on :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for Hodgson that he hasn't got more quality to work with. I bet deep down he'd love to do away with Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Rooney and all the baggage that goes with them but we simply don't have the quality to replace like with like.

It was interesting to see Lampard and Gerrard play their second match in five days; I felt both were showing signs of fatigue in that second half, and no surprises Gerrard got a second yellow for lunging in. As for Lampard, he seems to be more relaxed as if he never thought he'd still be playing for the side and therefore every match is a bonus. As a result his contribution seems to be greater and more consistent. That said, I don't think he was MOM last night, I think Gerrard just edged it but that's not saying much.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I'm in the same boat as you [MENTION=10779]SB005[/MENTION] . Proud England supporter and also The Albion. Love my country and will support our boys, even when it is shit.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I have a great idea......why don't we go down the cricket route and get all our overseas players to renounce their allegiance to their home nations and take up English 'residence', so allowing them to play for us ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a great idea......why don't we go down the cricket route and get all our overseas players to renounce their allegiance to their home nations and take up English 'residence', so allowing them to play for us ?
The start would be to go down the cricket route, but centrally contracting the England squad.

Beans beans get your magic beans here.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I expect to see full houses in the friendlies just confirmed (will this cause everyone to suddenly become England fans again and there be a scrammble for tickets?)

6/2/2013 H v Brazil
29/5/2103 H v Republic of Ireland
plus one previously announced
14/8/2013 H v Scotland
plus Uruguay are being sounded out for a home friendly as well!

England will also tour Brazil in June 2013 (v Brazil and another TBC)

The falling out of love with England is certainly not reserved for NSC, as it stands today there are just 12,094 members of englandfans, before South Africa I think membership stood at just under 30,000. I know this number does not represent everyone that follows England but it shows how ****** off people are at the moment.

Another sign of falling crowds is that is sounds like england are about to sell the naming rights to Wembley Stadium as well!!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Mr Blobby,

After 5 years of utter sh*te it's going to take a lot more than some v. poor
Brazil by their standards/Scotland/RofI team (or indeed any team) touring here
to get me interested again.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Also can we now PLEASE ban the band. All that parping and drumming is TIRESOME

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports