Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and Wales come together in lille

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I have a nagging feeling we'll be kicked out of the tournament later today. Awful scenes.

Nothing has actually happened though has it? Police charge and fire tear gas for whatever the reason (I have no idea), whenever the crowd gets a bit large. They charged when a French bloke lit a flare after their win amongst the England fans and then arrested loads.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Nothing has actually happened though has it?

I don't want to disagree with your version of events but it's UEFA's version of events that I'm concerned about. "36 arrested and 16 in hospital" (one would assume many are England fans) is not the kind of headline we need when we're on a final warning. My guess is that they're likely to side with the host nation and it's neanderthal police force rather than our fans.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't want to disagree with your version of events but it's UEFA's version of events that I'm concerned about. "36 arrested and 16 in hospital" (one would assume many are England fans) is not the kind of headline we need when we're on a final warning. My guess is that they're likely to side with the host nation and it's neanderthal police force rather than our fans.
Possibly, but there are plenty of other nations there. It's unlikely all 36 are English. The 16 in hospital is a concern, but would that be from tear gas, pepper spray and baton injuries? We shall see.

Possibly, but there are plenty of other nations there. It's unlikely all 36 are English. The 16 in hospital is a concern, but would that be from tear gas, pepper spray and baton injuries? We shall see.
20 Russians arrested and deported and 16 arrested but I saw that on Russia Today news. No mention of English fans at all.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Regardless of whose fault it is, you have to ask whether it's worth taking part in these events any more. Things won't change until 1) a subsection of English followers realise that just because nobody has died, it doesn't mean they've behaved well and 2) rubbish police forces exist with no idea how to handle large numbers of our pissed up clowns and seemingly prefer to escalate a problem rather than manage and contain it.

Honestly, I'm 44 now and for the first time in my life as an avid football fan I am genuinely beginning to wonder whether it just isn't worth sending the England team abroad to major tournaments.

We've got two crappy world cups coming up. I wouldnt be displeased to see a self inflicted ban on England until 2024.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
French police finally getting some blame.
French Police Tactics Escalate Lille Violence
http://news.sky.com/story/1712609/french-police-tactics-escalate-lille-violence

I've just read this. So, a group of England fans are being "rowdy", loud and singing all their familiar songs, and then one takes all his clothes off and climbs a 10 foot road sign. Maybe a foreign police force had just had enough and maybe a foreign police force deal with things differently in their country?

But then I've never gone abroad, got pissed up, acted lairy and stripped off in a public area so I guess I wouldn't know.

I hazard a guess and suggest these idiots were nowhere to be seen at the qualifiers but are in town because it's a cheap and easy place to get to and have a ruck. I feel sorry for the regular and normal fans.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've just read this. So, a group of England fans are being "rowdy", loud and singing all their familiar songs, and then one takes all his clothes off and climbs a 10 foot road sign. Maybe a foreign police force had just had enough and maybe a foreign police force deal with things differently in their country?

But then I've never gone abroad, got pissed up, acted lairy and stripped off in a public area so I guess I would know.

I hazard a guess and suggest these idiots were nowhere to be seen at the qualifiers but are in town because it's a cheap and easy place to get to and have a ruck. I feel sorry for the regular and normal fans.

Yeah England have the best support and 98% are decent, just pity 2% let the side down

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pity about the scenes and what it looks like. Realistically all of this is happening on a block between 2 streets by the station. Yes pissed up England fans who should know better and trying to get a reaction from the police, however when all that reaction is just firing tear gas & baton charging to disperse people you are going to get people who think it's a big game of British bulldog...

It has all been contained to 1 area.

Outside of that thousands of English & Welsh drinking with the French, Slovakians in pubs, bars restaurants having fun.

We even had some French fans in a big sports bar starting singing don't take me home to 'include' us in the atmosphere build up to their game.

Most bars shut around midnight as requested, however one we were drinking in basically had a lock in for us with about 12 French and was even giving us free beers!

Brilliant atmosphere which unfortunately the news channels aren't showing the whole story.

Also very visibly there is about 12 Police spotters, including Sussex own (forgot his name) from a safe distance. They are also claiming they stopped the water cannon being deployed....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Pity about the scenes and what it looks like. Realistically all of this is happening on a block between 2 streets by the station. Yes pissed up England fans who should know better and trying to get a reaction from the police, however when all that reaction is just firing tear gas & baton charging to disperse people you are going to get people who think it's a big game of British bulldog...

It has all been contained to 1 area.

Outside of that thousands of English & Welsh drinking with the French, Slovakians in pubs, bars restaurants having fun.

We even had some French fans in a big sports bar starting singing don't take me home to 'include' us in the atmosphere build up to their game.

Most bars shut around midnight as requested, however one we were drinking in basically had a lock in for us with about 12 French and was even giving us free beers!

Brilliant atmosphere which unfortunately the news channels aren't showing the whole story.

Also very visibly there is about 12 Police spotters, including Sussex own (forgot his name) from a safe distance. They are also claiming they stopped the water cannon being deployed....

Sadly there are always ENGLISH idiots who spoil things for the majority. We do not seem to hear of any Irish or Welsh fans behaving like the ones in your first paragraph. They like a drink too.

https://youtu.be/0Z1vMrzMfX4

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
36 arrests made, but not a single British person arrested according to press reports this morning. Sounds like the British police have done a very good job as well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Regardless of whose fault it is, you have to ask whether it's worth taking part in these events any more. Things won't change until 1) a subsection of English followers realise that just because nobody has died, it doesn't mean they've behaved well and 2) rubbish police forces exist with no idea how to handle large numbers of our pissed up clowns and seemingly prefer to escalate a problem rather than manage and contain it.

Honestly, I'm 44 now and for the first time in my life as an avid football fan I am genuinely beginning to wonder whether it just isn't worth sending the England team abroad to major tournaments.

We've got two crappy world cups coming up. I wouldnt be displeased to see a self inflicted ban on England until 2024.
Don't forget both semi finals and final of Euro 2020 are at Wembley. Would be a shame to miss them.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
French police are a complete joke, hundreds of fans(not just English ) outside a pub maybe a bit boisterous, but only drunken singing on the whole, but surely not deserving being charged with riot police and tear gassed
All it needs is a bit of common sense, where's PC BALKHAM when you need him, shame the French police don't have the same intellect and knowledge as our police force when it comes to dealing with boisterous large football crowds, most of the scenes we're witnessing could have been avoided

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I was in the Lyon fan zone last night. Great atmosphere most of the evening with the French (obviously), Albanians, Northern Irish and anyone else. Despite a huge electrical storm and it pissing it down.

However two flares were let off inside the fan park, security was nowhere near the levels of Paris. Probably 20% of people in there had umbrellas which are on the banned item list (had mine confiscated in Paris)

Then with about 80 mins gone in French game something kicked off big time. After a couple waves of people leaving it became a stampede, hundreds of people absolutely sprinting towards exits. We couldn't see what was going on so just joined them and got out of there. Whole place seems on edge, and I have no idea how items like flares are still making it into these places. Haven't seen anything about this online though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
French police are a complete joke, hundreds of fans(not just English ) outside a pub maybe a bit boisterous, but only drunken singing on the whole, but surely not deserving being charged with riot police and tear gassed

I'd agree with this. But it's another country and sometimes they do things differently when you drink 50 pints and act a **** like the naked lamp post climber did. I have sympathy for innocents normal supporters but not goons like this. It's embarassing.

And given everything which has gone on only an idiot would strip and climb up a post in full view of the police. What was he expecting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here