Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Engagement Rings? - very O/T!

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
'Stretch' probably wasnt the right word to use as I am happy to pay that amount if it would enable me to buy a nicer/better quality ring. However, anymore than that to me does seem excessive considering the cost of the actual wedding rings we will also need to get in the future.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not a kill joy but isn't it the thought that counts rather than the value of the ring and wouldn't the extra cash be useful towards the wedding or in your newly wedded life.

As a man, I can fully understand your rational point, but I've never know a woman who doesn't like sparkly expensive things and am almost certain that this bloke's missis will want to be flashing an expensive rock around to her mates and work colleagues. I'd recommend pushing the boat out and reaping the rewards.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As a man, I can fully understand your rational point, but I've never know a woman who doesn't like sparkly expensive things and am almost certain that this bloke's missis will want to be flashing an expensive rock around to her mates and work colleagues. I'd recommend pushing the boat out and reaping the rewards.

He'll be "paying" for it for a long time of he doesn't get something decent, I suspect.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I proposed in the summer - with a positive Yes in response. I bought a ring from Hallmark Jewellers on Union Street - tiny little shop, just so happened to have exactly what I wanted. Really friendly, brilliant price. As others have said, avoid high street, do your homework with respects to cut, size, clarity that you want and compare loads of stones and rings. The one you want will stand out for you (I believe). Good luck.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I thought it was a months salary.

I heard this also...

And, platinum looks soooo classy :smile:

And and, no matter how much you spend, a friend/acquaintance will have one twice the price, so perhaps take her out to pick one, and if you have a good relationship, she will do the right thing :smile:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wouldn't get her to pick one, personally - more romantic and means more if you choose it yourself, I would say. And try to get the size correct - this wasn't a problem for me as everytime I went shopping, I was subtly reminded!!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Hi all... I apreciate that this probably isnt the greatest thread for a football forum but Im thinking of asking her indoors to get married.

Can anyone recomend any jewellers in the Brighton area to help me sort out an engagement ring as I know very little about them. I dont really have a budget in mind but was thinking around £500 or so.

Many thanks for any help.....

Personally, I would ask her first. Then let her choose the ring as she is BOUND to have an opinion.

karaoke

Apr 10, 2012
You already bought the ring, probably. But I'd recommend buying online to ANYONE who wants to save money. Someone mentioned an online site. James Allen is also very very good and they ship free to the UK and their selection and online images are great. A lot of people don't know that the same ring can cost 50% less online that at a store. But this assuming you shop at a legitimate online jewelry shop. You need to be careful, of course and only buy from a well known site.

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
You already bought the ring, probably. But I'd recommend buying online to ANYONE who wants to save money. Someone mentioned an online site. James Allen is also very very good and they ship free to the UK and their selection and online images are great. A lot of people don't know that the same ring can cost 50% less online that at a store. But this assuming you shop at a legitimate online jewelry shop. You need to be careful, of course and only buy from a well known site.

f*** off James.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I know nothing of the subject, but I was once told that you should only buy an engagement ring commensurate with the wedding ring you intend to buy. Apparently if you wear gold rings of different quality of gold, when they rub against each other, which they invariably do, one will wear down quicker than the other (presumably the one made of softer gold, i.e. higher carat).

Don't quote me on this, I cannot verify it at all.

Yeah this is true - if your engagement ring is 18ct gold then your wedding ring needs to be the same ct or it will wear. My engagement ring is different to my wedding ring and its worn really bady!

I would say The Lanes would be your best bet - plenty of jewellers down there to have a mooch round with her. I would ask her and then let her choose what type of ring she wants.

I think they used to say you should spend a month's salary on the ring - but where that originated from I don't know. I know mine didn't cost anywhere near a months salary - in fact my wedding ring cost £20 second hand from a shop in the Lanes - I wasn't' that bothered about having one to be honest and didn't want to spend a fortune so got one just for the sake of it!!! Last summer I dropped it down the decking in the garden and my other half said forget it - it was only £20 I'll buy you a decent one now!!! LOL I got a mate round with his drill to lift the decking so I could retrieve my £20 wedding ring though as it wouldn't have been the same.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

As I've never heard of James Allen I won't be going there then.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Got my now wifes in Hatton Garden in London, plenty of good shops up there and very reasonably priced.

Me too. Great selection - just don't pay what it says in the window. You will get £100s off with a bit of haggling plus good advice and a choice of diamonds. These days they're all certificated and etched microscopically (look for GIA certification) so you won't be sold a dud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here