Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Energy/Cost of living crisis.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
For the attention of all the other NSC old farts

I've come to the conclusion after looking at the current Lonely Planet guide to India that it's probably cheaper to migrate out there for a couple of months over the winter than it would be to stay at home with the frightening cost of energy, petrol and food etc. Nice doubles in hostels averaging out at £12-£14 per night inc AC, nice meals in cafes at around £1.50 - £2.50, cheap internal transport, and a nice safe environment. Me and Mrs Shingle are outta here.

Time it right and you only miss Bournemouth, Fulham and West Ham games :cool:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For the attention of all the other NSC old farts

I've come to the conclusion after looking at the current Lonely Planet guide to India that it's probably cheaper to migrate out there for a couple of months over the winter than it would be to stay at home with the frightening cost of energy, petrol and food etc. Nice doubles in hostels averaging out at £12-£14 per night inc AC, nice meals in cafes at around £1.50 - £2.50, cheap internal transport, and a nice safe environment. Me and Mrs Shingle are outta here.

Time it right and you only miss Bournemouth, Fulham and West Ham games :cool:

I don’t think it’s such a bad idea.

I’ve thought for a while that we are going to see a lot of people retiring to places like India and Thailand.

For our generation (gen X, in my case), unless you have amassed a good pile, old age is going to suck a bag of cocks. I’m seriously considering retirement abroad.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Quite a nice idea in theory, but not sure how liveable a hostel would be for 2-3 months especially if you also had to work from there.

It also won't protect you from paying increased fuel costs as you'll still be subject to the standing charge inreases unless you were planning to close your energy accounts entirely. Cheap food will make a massive difference though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here