Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The poorest 25% of households have accumulated less than £2,000 in savings over their entire livelihoods. Those people are expected to now find £4,200 (an addition £2,300ish) every single year for energy. We are about to walk into a disaster, as if having working families reliant on food banks wasn't enough.

No wonder Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss have made it their top priorities to *check notes* rip up the EC rule book and cut taxes.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lat year my standing charges were £6.51 per month each for gas and electricity. Now they are £8.03 for gas and £14.04 for electricity.

Electricity was 16.65p per kwh. Now 28.16p

Gas was 2.85p per kwh. Now 7.01p

My monthly payment was £81. Now £175.

And its going to get worse.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The standing charge is an utter rip off. I don't pay a standing charge to ensure Tescos has it's infrastructure in place. I don't pay a service charge to my ISP for putting fibre in the ground. I don't pay a service charge to my local petrol station to provide the pump infrastructure. I don't pay my mobile provider a service charge to install new masts. All these providers charge it within the cost of their product. It is the energy providers infrastructure - THEY should pay for it - via the product charge.

Then the water companies have the cheek to put in hosepipe bans because they haven't used the service charge THEY charge to put in the infrastructure to store enough winter water. I say nationalise all of them.

to split hairs you do pay service charge for ISP infrastructure, its the line rental. for some time we've wanted to see the use of energy, to encourage us to reduce it, so its stayed seperate. who really cares its there as a line item, the fact its dramatically increased is the issue. if it were in the unit price you wouldnt know, so wouldnt be able to object to it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The standing charge is an utter rip off. I don't pay a standing charge to ensure Tescos has it's infrastructure in place. I don't pay a service charge to my ISP for putting fibre in the ground. I don't pay a service charge to my local petrol station to provide the pump infrastructure. I don't pay my mobile provider a service charge to install new masts. All these providers charge it within the cost of their product. It is the energy providers infrastructure - THEY should pay for it - via the product charge.

Then the water companies have the cheek to put in hosepipe bans because they haven't used the service charge THEY charge to put in the infrastructure to store enough winter water. I say nationalise all of them.

A lot of the rise in standing charges is the "supplier of last resort" scheme - we are all paying for the bailouts from failed energy companies.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lat year my standing charges were £6.51 per month each for gas and electricity. Now they are £8.03 for gas and £14.04 for electricity.

Electricity was 16.65p per kwh. Now 28.16p

Gas was 2.85p per kwh. Now 7.01p

My monthly payment was £81. Now £175.

And its going to get worse.

Ouch…I’m currently living in a parallel universe having ‘fixed’ nearly two years ago …reality hits on November 20th when it ends

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Is there a particular reason energy bills are rising so fast and high?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Privatisation of public utilities was always the very worst of excessive Tory short-termism and now we are seeing why.

I genuinely don't understand why the public swallow the bullshit on why selling off the family silver like this was ever a good idea. It's perfectly simple - only in markets where there is genuine competition is there an argument for privatisation. So fair enough, break up and sell off Parcel Force or British Telecom. You can even make that argument for rail companies at a push. But privatising energy and water companies should have provoked national outrage at the time. It has done nothing but line the pockets of shareholders and is effectively a tax on the poor who invariably end up paying the most. Even though energy firms have made billions in recent months, Sunak still only added a windfall tax 3 months after everybody else called for it, and even then it looked suspiciously like it was only to deflect from yet another lie or bout of Tory incompetence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just so long as Shell BP Centrica et al can post billions of £££'s in quarterly profits we should all rejoice.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Privatisation of public utilities was always the very worst of excessive Tory short-termism and now we are seeing why.

I genuinely don't understand why the public swallow the bullshit on why selling off the family silver like this was ever a good idea. It's perfectly simple - only in markets where there is genuine competition is there an argument for privatisation. So fair enough, break up and sell off Parcel Force or British Telecom. You can even make that argument for rail companies at a push. But privatising energy and water companies should have provoked national outrage at the time. It has done nothing but line the pockets of shareholders and is effectively a tax on the poor who invariably end up paying the most. Even though energy firms have made billions in recent months, Sunak still only added a windfall tax 3 months after everybody else called for it, and even then it looked suspiciously like it was only to deflect from yet another lie or bout of Tory incompetence.

there's plenty of competition in extraction and energy producers so privatisation meets your criteria. the infrastructure less so, but you could chose billing company from dozens (didnt help long term). the practices of the old state monopolies made it a very easy sell to the public.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hmgov's just going to stand by and let half the country fall into fuel poverty? Nope, not going to happen. Country will kick back against the pricks long before that happens

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's not great but with our winters being so mild there's virtually no need to put the heating on during our winters these days, and our electric usage isn't huge.

Just cut down on certain things and make sure things are turned off at night.

Biggest bugger is the standing charge which for us has been higher than our energy usage since February. Affordable but a pain since we've cut back so much.

Is this a piss take ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
there's plenty of competition in extraction and energy producers so privatisation meets your criteria. the infrastructure less so, but you could chose billing company from dozens (didnt help long term). the practices of the old state monopolies made it a very easy sell to the public.

If it was nationalised, wouldn't UK power, or whatever, be buying on a national/international market, where extraction and energy producers are selling? Isn't that where the actual genuine competition/market is, not with me choosing between various billing companies?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has the zombie government mentioned insulation yet? If not there's going to be a lot more people blocking roads this winter.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Why would you even bother posting that? :tosser:

Because I live in the US, haven't been home in ages and just saw a headline saying energy bills are going to top 4200 without a link to an article for clarification, as someone who is in the process of moving back to the UK I wanted to ask the question, sorry for offending you, but your answer still doesn't make it clear to me either tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here